Range after upgrade ?

You might like to point your dealer to one of my recent videos showing a climb to 1000ft AGL. My Flytrex also logged it. That flight was before the latest firmware upgrade so it was as stock as yours... If they won't acknowledge a fault and repair/replace then I'd say you need to either use your credit card company to get a refund and let them chase the charge-back or lay it on the line with your dealer that you want a unit that flies as advertised (i.e. nowhere in the sales promotion material or the user manual does it mention this limit - or you wouldn't have bought it) or they need to give you your money back and take the Vision off you - then go get a good one from a dealer that knows what they are talking about!

MrFlats said:
Yes, yes, yes! thats is exactly what I thought! How is mine different? I'm not happy about having a limit. I fly up to 390, 395, push it more, almost there, 400, all is good, go to 410, 415, then BAM!!! I have intermittant control signal loss. I fly under 400, its happy again. I go back up to 414, 420, intermittant control signal loss. Ok I gun it staight up. 430, 475, made it to 600 once before it returned to home under its own directive!!!

So I fly out horizontally, past 400, 450, 475. All is happy. Full forward to 800, stop wait, see what happens, Nothing. I fly to 1,100, 1,200 feet. I stop an hover. All is still happy. Come closer to home, around 600, then go up to 470 feet AGL, it starts to loose intermittant control link. Its weird. It's afraid of heights.

Over Christmas I noticed the newest firmware out, dec 16th or there abouts . I have yet to upgrade due to holidays, travel, and an illness. I've also found out I can disassemble the transmitter Tx and upgrade it. I have never done that. I will do that too. I'm hoping it will solve the issue.

I can't believe I am the only one to experience this. It ridiculous. Please don't get me wrong, I love my P2V. It's a cool machine. Other than a ceiling limit, I love it.

Jeff

That's the whole thing though is there is no programmed in ceiling limit. It depends on your flying conditions and other factors. But yeah if you mod your transmitter so you can use any screw on antenna you like that will provide much greater range for you.

MrFlats said:
I had the same issue two days ago! I would get up in the air about 200-275 feet and I would suddently lose control link. But as fast as it happened, it was regained. This happened three times. The little aerial antenna was straight up.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned .. but ...

With the antenna straight up, the signal radiates outward parallel to the ground. So, the signal received by the P2V will get weaker as it goes up in altitude if you leave the antenna point up.

For best reception, the antenna should be at a right angle to the 'copter's location - i.e. it should point 90 degrees away. If the helicopter is straight in front of you, the antenna should be straight up. If the 'copter is straight above you, the antenna would need to be parallel with the ground.

So, generally you should angle the antenna back, so that it's pointing at your face, and ensure that the P2V is some distance away from you. The you should be able to fly higher without loss of signal.

http://www.visionflyer.com/phantom-2-vi ... de-issues/

-- Roger

My first post here.

I have only flown mine three or four times, been too windy.

I am guessing you all are talking about the flight control range and not the range of the signal that gives you the picture and control of camera. I have no flown mine out flight control however it does seem like I loose the video shortly after getting 2-300' away. Is this normal?

I got mine a few days before Christmas and I have not performed any upgrades, I am not even sure what version firmware i have. I am hoping to work on that over the weekend.

Hi guys

I think I have found the solution for your problems :cool:

All phantoms are shipped with the controller set to CE-Compliant mode which give you a range up to around 300mm. You can check that by turning on the controller, if you hear one beep it is in CE-Compliant mode.

You can change it to FCC Compliant mode which is more power full and gives you a range up to 500m!
So when you turn on the controller you should hear two beeps.

Take a look at the video here how to do it.
http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/

Scroll down to the video called "Intro to your remote controller."

Hope that helps.

Klaus said:
Hi guys

All phantoms are shipped with the controller set to CE-Compliant mode which give you a range up to around 300mm. You can check that by turning on the controller, if you hear one beep it is in CE-Compliant mode.

You can change it to FCC Compliant mode which is more power full and gives you a range up to 500m!

Hope that helps.

I believe they already did that according to the previous posts but you can also do this from the RC Assistant. If the setting in the assistant contradicts what the setting on the back of the transmitter it will default to FCC mode.

dav5942 said:
Mine went to 100' max after I pulled the antenna wire loose on the PCB. Pushed it back in and got to 400'. Probably will order the new tx with usb outside of case and then try to solder the old one for a spare.

This.

Mine also got its control range reduced after my antenna got cut right around the part where the rubber duck antenna meets the Tx body. My max range was reduced to around 350', but I still had about 4-5" of antenna wire inside.

I believe that the antenna wire inside the RC Transmitter is shielded wire,
so it should not radiate very much if it is broken cleanly off.

garygid said:
I believe that the antenna wire inside the RC Transmitter is shielded wire,
so it should not radiate very much if it is broken cleanly off.

Hmmm good point.
Maybe the 1mm of exposed frayed cable did the trick for me =P

Could be, it does not take much to radiate enough energy for a few hundred feet.

garygid said:
Could be, it does not take much to radiate enough energy for a few hundred feet.

Really?? I have no idea.

Anyway, my pigtail cable has finally arrived and I've replaced that stub with an RP-SMA jack so I can try out different 5.8Ghz antennas (including those circular spironets).

Bye bye 1mm frayed cable antenna.

Super-D said:
Klaus said:
Hi guys

Hope that helps.

I believe they already did that according to the previous posts but you can also do this from the RC Assistant. If the setting in the assistant contradicts what the setting on the back of the transmitter it will default to FCC mode.

Is this only relevant to the RC at 5.8 range I.e. The vision phantom? I have phantom 2 non vision and I get no beeps when turning the RC Controller on. I have adjust the back screw but no double beep. I didn't see the option on the software. Excuse If dumb questions as just into my second week.

Thanks for the reply.

Pull_Up said:
Phantom 2 runs on 2.4Ghz for control, not 5.8GHz like the Vision. I believe it's the same power output on 2.4 for both FCC and CE so nothing to change there. The two regulatory bodies have different max power limits on 5.8 hence the user-switchable option for the Vision.

Gentleman and a scholar thank you for the clarification.

Happy flying

Dronefly responded and offered to replace my unit. I reckon that may mean one or two weeks with no flying but I'll report back when I get the replacement craft in the air.

larsplougmann said:
Dronefly responded and offered to replace my unit. I reckon that may mean one or two weeks with no flying but I'll report back when I get the replacement craft in the air.

Call them and ask for an estimate of when the replacement will be available, ready to be shipped back to you. Get the day\date, not just some vague estimate (soon, not long, after we get your craft, etc).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj