Range after upgrade ?

Reaction score
My range has fallin of drastically after upgrade. Any thoughts on this subject? Before I could fly out 900 feet easily, now I lose control at 300 feet. Batteries fully charged, way out in the country with on interference.

What version is the software on the P2V?

Below is copy and pasted from. DJI. ref: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/

Latest Version Information
Items Version Date
DJI FC200 Camera V1.1.7 2013-10-30
5.8GHz Remote Controller V1.0.2.22 2013-11-05
5.8GHz Receiver V1.0.1.3 2013-11-05
iOS App V1.0.27 2013-10-30
Android App V1.0.32 2013-10-30
Phantom 2 Vision Autopilot System V1.05 2013-11-16
Phantom 2 Vision Central Board V1.0.1.18 2013-11-16
PC Assistant Software (Special Version for Phantom 2 Vision) V1.05 2013-11-16

Ok sir. I went through my log file. ( I document everything, upgrades and every flight too.) The following was done last Saturday the 16th of November. Log is as follows.

11/16/13
Installed P2V software version 1.05 on laptop.

Upgraded Main Controller from 1.0 to 1.05. This was a recommended upgrade. No thing given what it does. Completed.

Receiver5.8G requesting to upgrade firmware from 1.0.1.0 to 1.0.1.3. This was sucessfully completed. Now on version 1.0.1.3. What's New? Optimize the communication and reduce the signal interferences.

P330CB / Central Board requests to upgrade from 1.0.1.16 to 1.0.1.18. Completed.

Battery firmware- no updates needed at this time.

Did motor test with no propellers and they reacted to stick inputs. Charged up flight battery and range extender. Test low fly/hover- good

End

I have since flown 425 feet away over a canyon with no issues of distance. My Tx is in FCC mode as indicated by the double beep when I power it on. (A single beep is CA mode)

I did the very same, also in fcc mode. I actualy had no problems for some time. Today I have very little range. I hooked back up to PC and changed back to phantom mode to see if my range came back. Still the same 300 ft.

wildcatter said:
I did the very same, also in fcc mode. I actualy had no problems for some time. Today I have very little range. I hooked back up to PC and changed back to phantom mode to see if my range came back. Still the same 300 ft.

Perhaps you pinched the attenna after upgrading the Tx? Just got back from a flight. I was 900 ft away, 1, 000 ft up - no problems...

I was very careful not to do just that. I am using rechargeable batteries. They have worked just fine. I checked the voltage after a charge and it is only 1.3 volts.... this may be the culprit.

Read the thread with interest as it sounded a bit like my experience.

On every flight when I have ventured a bit far away I have lost contact with the PV when it was at 70 m altitude (a bit more than 200 feet I reckon). I realized that I had loaded the remote with rechargeable batteries, so I swapped them for those new red Duracells (red ones have to be good, right?). During the swap I measured the rechargeable at 1.2V and the Duracells at 1.5V.

Result: On the next flight the PV lost contact with the transmitter at 70 m altitude and started its return home journey.

I don't need to go beyond 70 m on every flight but it would be good to have a bit more range during the right conditions.

Please note, this experience is entirely with the software versions that the PV shipped with. It's been a bit too windy since I upgraded the software but hopefully there'll be an opp'ty to fly this weekend.

Well that wasn't the problem either. I put in some fresh duracells, 1.5 volts. I could fly out so far before where I could not even see the phantom and had no problems. Now I can.t even come close to that. Finally,I got Dronefly to offer me a replacement.

rbarghini said:
wildcatter said:

Perhaps you pinched the attenna after upgrading the Tx? Just got back from a flight. I was 900 ft away, 1, 000 ft up - no problems...

If you use the Pythagorean Therorem you were actually 1,414.213562373095 feet away from your P2V.

(I think my Geek is showing)

Jeff

MrFlats said:
rbarghini said:
wildcatter said:

If you use the Pythagorean Therorem you were actually 1,414.213562373095 feet away from your P2V.

(I think my Geek is showing)

Jeff

:)

Mine went to 100' max after I pulled the antenna wire loose on the PCB. Pushed it back in and got to 400'. Probably will order the new tx with usb outside of case and then try to solder the old one for a spare.

Ok, Update!

I had the same issue two days ago! I would get up in the air about 200-275 feet and I would suddently lose control link. But as fast as it happened, it was regained. This happened three times. The little aerial antenna was straight up.

The only diference is there was about a foot of snow on the ground.

That being said, I wonder if the snow absorbs the 5.8Ghz signal the same way 800Mhz signal is absorbed in the snow with Ham Radios, as I experience in Search and Rescue Missions.

I later flew in town, (I live in the middle of no where), flew in town where there was no snow and never lost the control signal once.

Thank You,

Jeff

I just heard from Dronefly. They confirmed that the Phantom 2 Vision has a ceiling limit of 400 feet AGL, if you push it beyond that, it will return to home. This is unsatisfactory. What if you fly up a canyon or up hill? Crash.

MrFlats said:
I just heard from Dronefly. They confirmed that the Phantom 2 Vision has a ceiling limit of 400 feet AGL, if you push it beyond that, it will return to home. This is unsatisfactory. What if you fly up a canyon or up hill? Crash.

Myself and others on this forum using the latest updates to their phantom have no problem pushing well past 400 foot altitude so that confirmation is not correct. Also dji would be shooting themselves in the foot if they had such a built in limitation.

Yes, yes, yes! thats is exactly what I thought! How is mine different? I'm not happy about having a limit. I fly up to 390, 395, push it more, almost there, 400, all is good, go to 410, 415, then BAM!!! I have intermittant control signal loss. I fly under 400, its happy again. I go back up to 414, 420, intermittant control signal loss. Ok I gun it staight up. 430, 475, made it to 600 once before it returned to home under its own directive!!!

So I fly out horizontally, past 400, 450, 475. All is happy. Full forward to 800, stop wait, see what happens, Nothing. I fly to 1,100, 1,200 feet. I stop an hover. All is still happy. Come closer to home, around 600, then go up to 470 feet AGL, it starts to loose intermittant control link. Its weird. It's afraid of heights.

Over Christmas I noticed the newest firmware out, dec 16th or there abouts . I have yet to upgrade due to holidays, travel, and an illness. I've also found out I can disassemble the transmitter Tx and upgrade it. I have never done that. I will do that too. I'm hoping it will solve the issue.

I can't believe I am the only one to experience this. It ridiculous. Please don't get me wrong, I love my P2V. It's a cool machine. Other than a ceiling limit, I love it.

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20