Randomly Loosing Height

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry if this thread has been answered already, I looked but did not find a similar one.

Here goes, this is my set up, I have a DJI Phantom 2, with latest firmware, DJI Props, Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal, with a Gopro Hero4 camera, an ImmersionRC 5.8 Ghz transmitter connected to a Fatshark Circular Spironet antenna, and an IOSD mini supplying flight parameters, And I'm using more or less Stock parameters.

I have carried out a successful advanced IMU calibration (several times), the Phantom will lift off and hover at say 10mtrs with no wind and remain stationary give or take lateral movement of -+ 0.5 - 1 mtrs, in a wind speed around 6-8 Knots it will hover give or take 1.5 -2 mtrs.

Flying at speed around 10m/sec, at altitude 25 Mtrs doing figure of eight passes the Phantom performs great.. even in 6-8 Knot winds.
So to the problem sometimes when I'm flying at lower altitude 10mtrs at speed 3m/sec when I start to do turns flying forward (or side-ways) and using very slow yaw rates, I loose control, the Phantom will start to loose height, even if I push the left stick forwards to maximum level.
Sometimes when this happens I might try to move the right stick left or right in case the Phantom is being influenced by the Vortex Ring effect, still to no avail.

Some have suggested it could be a Battery cell problem, not giving enough current to the motors when multiple input commands are being processed, some have suggested bad IMU calibration, others a faulty motor.

When the problem occurs the flight characteristic appears just as though I am pulling the left stick back, it does not spin or oscillate from side to side, it just comes down and fairly hard, the motors do not stop, and it does not fall like a stone, but most times it happens I am lucky to catch it, before it hits the ground. I'm worried about damage, to the Phantom and the Gimbal, any one got any ideas, I contacted Quadcopters.co.uk, and described events to them, but they said that they had never heard of such a failure..

Please guys any ideas..
Many thanks
Waylander

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj