Rain and cold weather?

Reaction score
Hi - I'm wondering if any one has experience flying during an oncoming light drizzle or in cold weather (near or below freezing).

I've flown several times in the cold. I kept the batteries warm until flight. No problems at all . Just shorter flight times and air is a lot heavier in the cold. Takes more power and doesn't fly as fast forward or up as when it is warm out. Not much fun flying with gloves either.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
That's great to hear. Thanks guys. Then I'm planning to take it to Banff NP next week. Yeah!

Couldn't flying in below freezing conditions in light drizzle create icing on the phantom?

I would not recommend flying in drizzle. It will void your warranty. Electronics do not like H2O & can short things out.

Yes it was a nice start 6km wind went out 3km then one snow flake kept flying then lots of snow thick wet and heavy then side ways snow Still had 4km on return trip snow frozen to cam lens could not see much!! Got it home safe but never again still working fine.flew in fog once as well ice will build up on props not good either never again.have flown in -15 C no problems as well went out about 5 km and back....not to confident about cold whether flights.fly safe

I've flown several times in the cold. I kept the batteries warm until flight. No problems at all . Just shorter flight times and air is a lot heavier in the cold. Takes more power and doesn't fly as fast forward or up as when it is warm out. Not much fun flying with gloves either.
Haha yes try sitting in ur warm truck I do it works just fine

We have good news and bad news or maybe bad news and worse news is more accurate, The Ohio monsoons have abated (for now) however, it's now very cold and windy. Just four days into the ownership of a P3 Pro and God hates me :(

I got mine as a present from my wife after moving to Portland.... rain and cold is all I see in my future now :(

I've never flown my P3P in drizzle (but have cold and no issue what so ever) but I have flown another aircraft in drizzle and ended up losing the aircraft because of it. Not lost as in couldn't find it but lost as in something inside the aircraft went berserk and my flight controls became very erratic and ultimately caused me to fly a $1,000 aircraft into the ground inches in front of my face. It was as though the controls were switched from Mode2 to Mode1 while I was flying. Other members had warned me that even a small amount of moisture inside the electronic components "could" cause problems but I was a pilot with 30 years flying experience so I "knew what I was doing". Yep I showed them LOL!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj