RageCams Rocks

Reaction score
After getting my second pv2 from b&h with an out of focus camera, i decided to try ragecams 5.4 flat lens. after talking with dennis a couple of times, i overnighted my vision camera to rage. dennis was more than helpful. ups screwed up my delivery. dennis tracked down the truck, did the mod on my camera and got it out the same day. i use this thing professionally. i had to have the camera back this weekend. ragecams came through. if it ever stops snowing here i will go airborne and get some pics to post. unfortunately the very expensive mod doesnt change the fact the vision camera is just a crappy point and shoot. i am happy with the upgrade though. my images are now in focus, i spend less time in photoshop correcting distortion, and the lens is not quite as wide angle as the stock lens. the filter kit is worth the money also. overall image quality is improved. to all you folks bitching about rage and the pricing, i suggest you open up your own business and see what is like to run a business in this economy. we all have to make a living. ragecams provides a needed service and does a good job. my pv2 is now suitable for me to make some money. my $4000.00 nikon doesnt fly. to see some before the mod out of focus images go to http://www.flyinghighfoto.com
i will post images with the new cam soon. they will be dated 3-21-14

$400 is far to costly for this upgrade no matter how you slice it. The replament lens is probably not even $50 and it is a half hour work to swap out. This guys making a killing.

BenDronePilot said:
$400 is far to costly for this upgrade no matter how you slice it. The replament lens is probably not even $50 and it is a half hour work to swap out. This guys making a killing.

Yeah I have to agree. Would be a nice upgrade but not for $400...

Well, it looks like he's batting .500 so far!

One extremely botched "sale" that supposedly was resolved by everyone erasing their posts and "making nice" and one satisfied customer who paid $400 for self-described "crappy point and shoot" photos.

A little searching on the web finds M12 lenses all over the place.

DJI would have replaced the "blurry" lens for free.
It doesn't take more than a few mouse clicks to adjust in raw. And if you aren't using presets for that, you should be.

FSJ Guy said:
Well, it looks like he's batting .500 so far!

One extremely botched "sale" that supposedly was resolved by everyone erasing their posts and "making nice" and one satisfied customer who paid $400 for self-described "crappy point and shoot" photos.

A little searching on the web finds M12 lenses all over the place.

DJI would have replaced the "blurry" lens for free.
It doesn't take more than a few mouse clicks to adjust in raw. And if you aren't using presets for that, you should be.

Perhaps a little unfair TBH. The lens replacement is more than just a (hopefully) better bit of glass, it is also not fisheye. All the correction in the world in PS will not make a corrected fish eye look as good as a regular lens.

The cost is a bit steep but, if you are not into modding yourself and the Phantom makes you $$, then this might be a good return on the investment. It is obviously not for you (or me) but telling someone else they are wrong to have their own point of view is just ... not cricket :)

ps. Don't judge a company by one person's negative internet posts. If we all did this, no company in the world would be "good". As a business owner, I can 100% verify the customer is not always right.

nobody forced me to purchase this mod. it is a choice i made after weighing the options. i am not one to to the mod myself. i would lose quite a bit of income having my camera sent to dji for 2-3 weeks just to get the stock lens focused. unfortunately it is impossible to please everyone when we provide a service. if you think rage is overpriced why not buy the inventory necessary to do a pro quality job and offer the service to the masses for a better price. dont forget to get your business license, set up your sales tax account, build your website, set up your bank accounts, and all the other things required to run a legitimate business. so if you dont like someones price, move on. you have a choice. i haven't heard of a better deal to do the same work. when i do, i will just lick my wound and try not to whimper and moan and ***** like a little girl about it on the internet.

sprung said:
nobody forced me to purchase this mod. it is a choice i made after weighing the options. i am not one to to the mod myself. i would lose quite a bit of income having my camera sent to dji for 2-3 weeks just to get the stock lens focused. unfortunately it is impossible to please everyone when we provide a service. if you think rage is overpriced why not buy the inventory necessary to do a pro quality job and offer the service to the masses for a better price. dont forget to get your business license, set up your sales tax account, build your website, set up your bank accounts, and all the other things required to run a legitimate business. so if you dont like someones price, move on. you have a choice. i haven't heard of a better deal to do the same work. when i do, i will just lick my wound and try not to whimper and moan and ***** like a little girl about it on the internet.

As a business owner it's also about price point. If you set your price point correctly you can make the most money. So if you sell 100 lenses at $400 vs 500 lenses at $300, obviously the more profitable price point is the lower one. There does come a point that you are just pricing too low but I think the point some were trying to make is we LIKE the product and idea but if he ran a special or sale there will likely be more interested. I do agree with the others that I don't think the overhead is high so I think if he lowered his price he would likely make a lot more sales (assuming he has the manufacturing ability to keep up, unlike Rotorpixel).

And the fact that the business owner (or online representative) has already shown his true colors on this forum. Regardless of whether or not the customer was right or wrong, Ragecam's response was inappropriate. I should have quoted his original post so it would have been preserved when he went and edited his comments. That way, people could accurate judge for themselves if this is someone they want to send their $500 camera to and pay $400 for a simple installation of a $50 M12 lens.

if its that easy, how much would you charge to do another camera for me. what would your turn around time be. i need the filter receiver as well.

Hello john,
I can see why you decided to go for the lens swap. Certainly the dji lens was pretty poor from what u posted but looking at the ragecam modification the new images seem to be crisp sharp across the whole frame side to side and top to bottom.
You would recommend the upgrade obviously? With the new lens what size print would you comfortably go up to if you need to?
Thanks for posting
Paul

FSJ Guy said:
And the fact that the business owner (or online representative) has already shown his true colors on this forum.

/rant on and OTT

Personally, if he was factually correct, then why should he not defend his reputation. Many people forget that business owners are people as well - they are expected to suffer insults and rage then thank the customer even when the latter has been completely in the wrong. Sorry - nope - both not fair and bad for everyone in the long run. I read the response and found it not vitriolic but remarkable level and full of apparent facts.

You would be shocked at the attempts to rip off and scam business that go on - people think it is a victimless crime but it is not. Smaller businesses go bust because a customer tries something on, complains on the internet when he/she does not get their way and suddenly 5 years of good will is down the tube for no good reason. If one party puts their point of view in the public domain, then the other party has an equal right to put theirs.

And no, I have no connection to their business but am totally fed up of seeing business owners getting lambasted when people outside the transaction cannot have the facts to hand.

Sorry - not a personal attack on you :)

/end rant

hi paul

to print i convert the file to 300 dpi. i have never printed much bigger than 8.5 x 11. i have more of an action shoot this weekend. i will post some pics on monday. i used the cam quite we a bit today. i am more and more pleased with the mod. it took me a while to realize this will never have the quality of an slr. now that i am past that i am really enjoying the pv2. if you try to blow the pics up too much they get pretty pixelated. 60 inches is a pretty big print. keep it below 20 inches ant they look great.

Bunyarra said:
FSJ Guy said:
And the fact that the business owner (or online representative) has already shown his true colors on this forum.

/rant on and OTT

Personally, if he was factually correct, then why should he not defend his reputation. Many people forget that business owners are people as well - they are expected to suffer insults and rage then thank the customer even when the latter has been completely in the wrong. Sorry - nope - both not fair and bad for everyone in the long run. I read the response and found it not vitriolic but remarkable level and full of apparent facts.

You would be shocked at the attempts to rip off and scam business that go on - people think it is a victimless crime but it is not. Smaller businesses go bust because a customer tries something on, complains on the internet when he/she does not get their way and suddenly 5 years of good will is down the tube for no good reason. If one party puts their point of view in the public domain, then the other party has an equal right to put theirs.

And no, I have no connection to their business but am totally fed up of seeing business owners getting lambasted when people outside the transaction cannot have the facts to hand.

Sorry - not a personal attack on you :)

/end rant

No worries. I didn't read it that way.

In regards to ragecams response, calling the customer names certainly doesn't bode well for future business.

I do agree, however, that sometimes a customer will try to take advantage of a business. If that's the case, usually the best thing to do is let the customer rant. Usually their true colors will come out and everyone will know the real story.

I once had a buyer rant against me on a forum. I let him rant. What good would it do to engage the person? They're mad. You're not going to change anything.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but the problem with fighting with a pig is that you both get dirty and the pig wins, anyway. LOL!

FSJ Guy said:
Bunyarra said:
[quote="FSJ Guy"
I'm not saying this is the case here, but the problem with fighting with a pig is that you both get dirty and the pig wins, anyway. LOL!

:) I'm just a stubborn old git who has been burned too many times .. and like bacon! Yes, sometimes it is pride that overcomes rational thought in such cases.

I just received my Ragecam 5.4 lens today and it is awesome. Bye bye fish - eye! Combo this with a Rotorpixel gimbal and it should be the perfect machine. I took some pics at dusk but haven't had time to view them. Tomorrow I plan on taking a lot of mid day bright light pics and checking the sharpness. The customer service with Ragecams has been hands down awesome. Dennis answered my calls and emails quickly and my camera was back to me in 3 days. Although expensive I'd definitely recommend Ragecams.

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

Venom93corba said:
I just received my Ragecam 5.4 lens today and it is awesome. Bye bye fish - eye! Combo this with a Rotorpixel gimbal and it should be the perfect machine. I took some pics at dusk but haven't had time to view them. Tomorrow I plan on taking a lot of mid day bright light pics and checking the sharpness. The customer service with Ragecams has been hands down awesome. Dennis answered my calls and emails quickly and my camera was back to me in 3 days. Although expensive I'd definitely recommend Ragecams.

I've been thinking the combo of the Phantom vision plus the rotor pixel gimbal plus the rage cams lens would be the perfect set up. I would love if you could upload some videos so we can take a look at it.

Definitely. I'll post some pictures today. I'm probably still about 2-3 weeks from receiving the gimbal though.

sprung,
What was the turn around time? Where did you ship your parts to? I can not find it on their website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers