RageCams Lens 5.4 mm to PV

Reaction score
Anybody ordered RageCams lens 5.4 mm to PV ? They Have it lens for US$489,00, you need to send to mail your camera, Whit this lens you can avoid the fisheye efect for aerial photography, interesting...

Thanks for posting, I find the fisheye a real pain in the *** so this sounds great. Does it keep the 140 degree FOV?
Anyone that has a GP hero; what is the fisheye effect like in comparison to the PV.

Not the Fov is similar to a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera I think, to video the movements are increased by viewing angle as an telephoto lens

I got one last week. It will probably be another week before I can test it since my Phantom 2 system hasn't shipped yet.

Pictures look pretty good at ground level. Definitely no fisheye. I'll try to take a few pictures tomorrow with it and post them. Also there are videos on you tube using that lens.

Hi Jdacal The Fov is similar to a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera ? Please post the pictures...Thanks
Jdacal said:
I got one last week. It will probably be another week before I can test it since my Phantom 2 system hasn't shipped yet.

Pictures look pretty good at ground level. Definitely no fisheye. I'll try to take a few pictures tomorrow with it and post them. Also there are videos on you tube using that lens.

I haven't forgotten about the pictures. Its just that its been pretty cloudy here in South Florida the last couple of days. If its sunny tomorrow I'll take shots with a standard GoPro and the modified one as well.

Its still cloudy here in South Florida but there was pretty even light today so I figured I'd give it a try.

- These shots were taken using a GoPro3 Black with standard lens and a RageCam with the modified lens.

- Cameras were on a tripod and shot was triggered via the GoPro app.

- The day was overcast

- The shots were taken about 2:45 PM EST facing towards the East

- I focused the RageCam on the number "11" shown in this picture at a distance of 180 feet viewing it on a 55" Sony HD TV. Distance was measured with a Bosh GLR825 laser. The RageCam site suggests about 150 feet. I found that at the focus setting I received it from RageCam the "11" was blurry, so I refocused.

This picture lets you see were the "11" is located in the images to use for reference as you view the pictures:

These two pictures were taken with a GoPro 3 Black and RageCam set to "12MP WIDE".

I can only add 3 attachments so you can download the full resolution shots using this DropBox link, also the ones posted on the forum are only 1024 x 768 so very poor resolution:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p971d4m2wbm26j5/-DYIEY71eX

You'll also find another set of shots taken at "7MP MED" setting there.

I haven't taken any aerial shots yet as I am still wating for my Phantom 2 to ship.

Attachments

• Focus.jpg
    Focus.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • GoPro3 Black 12MP Wide.JPG
    GoPro3 Black 12MP Wide.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 1,032
  • RageCam 12MP Wide.JPG
    RageCam 12MP Wide.JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 1,044
JDacal thanks for share, looks good and exploits the sensor surface, I want to put in the PV camera but is expensive US$ 490

Thanks again

Jdacal said:
Its still cloudy here in South Florida but there was pretty even light today so I figured I'd give it a try.

- These shots were taken using a GoPro3 Black with standard lens and a RageCam with the modified lens.

- Cameras were on a tripod and shot was triggered via the GoPro app.

- The day was overcast

- The shots were taken about 2:45 PM EST facing towards the East

- I focused the RageCam on the number "11" shown in this picture at a distance of 180 feet viewing it on a 55" Sony HD TV. Distance was measured with a Bosh GLR825 laser. The RageCam site suggests about 150 feet. I found that at the focus setting I received it from RageCam the "11" was blurry, so I refocused.

This picture lets you see were the "11" is located in the images to use for reference as you view the pictures:

These two pictures were taken with a GoPro 3 Black and RageCam set to "12MP WIDE".

I can only add 3 attachments so you can download the full resolution shots using this DropBox link, also the ones posted on the forum are only 1024 x 768 so very poor resolution:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p971d4m2wbm26j5/-DYIEY71eX

You'll also find another set of shots taken at "7MP MED" setting there.

I haven't taken any aerial shots yet as I am still wating for my Phantom 2 to ship.

Expensive? You can say that again!

I ended up buying it with the camera, almost $1000. But I wanted to be able to switch cameras quickly, without having to do a lens change in the field.

Where I can buy the FC200, but the wireless network switches to change the camera ?

Jdacal said:
Expensive? You can say that again!

I ended up buying it with the camera, almost $1000. But I wanted to be able to switch cameras quickly, without having to do a lens change in the field.

I've also been unhappy with the fisheye on the Vision. And very unhappy about the soft focus on one side too. I wrote to the RageCam guys and they say their upgrade will address both these issues, so I am toying with doing it. They told me they've already performed 4 of these upgrades. They sent me a sample that looks great but isn't full-res. I'd like to see some shots in full-res actually taken on the Vision.

Before spending so much, I might wait to see the raw upgrade really working. Not that it will help with either of these issues, but I also hate the amount of compression in the JPGs and think they don't look so hot even when they are in focus. I am just used to better images I guess. I saw on another thread that DJI told someone it's a hobbyist camera and not to expect so much. Wrong answer!

Please post if you have done the RageCam upgrade and have a full res sample you could share.

Thanks!

Nhoover - I also had the soft focus issue, I'm not a photographer by a long shot bug even I could see it wasn't correct. New replacement camera fitted yesterday and is great no blurred edges at all. They have defiantly had a QA issue so I would suggest getting a replacement camera from DJI/Dealer in the first instance.

I have seriously considered this modification, but wanted to see the raw converter first to see if the camera is worth the expense of upgrading the lens. As for the field of view Ragecams states that the end result is an 80 degree field of view after the conversion which equates to a 24mm lens on a full frame camera.

The fisheye effect can be nicely eliminated with the DJi camera profile in Lightroom or the GoPro profile in Photoshop. Still wide angle but flat horizon.

Understand that when you use the dji app to correct fisheye effect that you crop the image and reduce the resolution. The vision camera in its present form is marginal at best and compromising the image further is not as desirable and getting a better lens that has been focused and aligned critically. I am hoping that when the camera is capable of shooting raw that we see a substantial improvement in image quality.

68gtconv said:
Understand that when you use the dji app to correct fisheye effect that you crop the image and reduce the resolution. The vision camera in its present form is marginal at best and compromising the image further is not as desirable and getting a better lens that has been focused and aligned critically. I am hoping that when the camera is capable of shooting raw that we see a substantial improvement in image quality.

You're right that when using Photoshop or Gimp or any other program to remove the fisheye it does crop the edges but you're technically not loosing resolution. The resolution stays the same you just have less to the left and right of the photo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic