Radio Tower Inspections ?

Reaction score
I'm curious to who is using their Phantoms for radio tower inspection and if they have had much interference doing it. If I decide to get my 107 it might be something I'm interested in for some side cash to support my hobby.

I used to work in the cellular industry so I'm aware of the technology but have read some post about radio interference issues and was seeing how you get around this risk doing the inspections?

Also, I would assume that an inspection would consist of checking cabling, brackets, antennas, etc. so what kind of details are you able to gather using the camera to satisfy the client?

Thanks,

Keep in mind the 400' AGL flight limitation for part 107 operators... The operator who filmed the 1500' TV tower light bulb change got a call from the FAA when they saw the video in the 2016 NY City Drone Film Festival.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Keep in mind the 400' AGL flight limitation for part 107 operators... The operator who filmed the 1500' TV tower light bulb change got a call from the FAA when they saw the video in the 2016 NY City Drone Film Festival.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yah, I wouldn't be doing that. Most towers in my area are below the 400'. I would say on average they are 200' as I have worked on a lot of them LOL.

If they stayed within 400' of the tower, and no more than 400' above it, wouldn't that be legal? (Barring an airport or other no-fly zone taking precedence)...

Sent from my SM-G935P using PhantomPilots mobile app

You are correct. Anything else not withstanding, the height of the structure determines the legal maximum height of the flight.

§107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.
A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:

(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and

(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

Reactions: nssdrone and rleigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik