Radio Interference sources

Reaction score
Wondering about possible radio interference sources. For example, we have a Raytheon plant in our town and they have several towers with radar and other instruments. I'm assuming those are a place to stay away from but not sure how far away to stay. For example about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from a very nice school park that would be great for flying. To risky??

Cell towers, I assume just don't get too close. Some water towers have cell equipment on them too. So just not sure here.

Thoughts??

Power poles with lines and 2 and 3 phase distribution transformers make my P3's jump around randomly. Public Wi-Fi repeaters interfere with the GPS when calibrating it. Flying around or under metal sculptures also.

Power poles with lines and 2 and 3 phase distribution transformers make my P3's jump around randomly. Public Wi-Fi repeaters interfere with the GPS when calibrating it. Flying around or under metal sculptures also.
What about using re,mote below High Voltage power lines 110 kV

The EMI from the higher lines would be closer to the top so if your P3 was flying above the lines with you standing under them, you could lose all signal relay.

My phantom wa 2.6 km from the lines and I was standing fem meters away from them, however my antenna was pointing directly thru power lines

Another source I have noticed happens prior to take off. I cannot set this on a sidewalk or parking lot cement without getting a red banner that the compass needs calibration. The metal in the cement will interfere greatly apparently with the compass. If I pick it up and set it on grass it's fine.

Reactions: ianwood
Another source I have noticed happens prior to take off. I cannot set this on a sidewalk or parking lot cement without getting a red banner that the compass needs calibration. The metal in the cement will interfere greatly apparently with the compass. If I pick it up and set it on grass it's fine.

Great point. This is one of the most overlooked causes of flyaways. And the P3 can only warn you about strong magnetic interference and not mild or weak interferences which can be equally disasterous. So it's really up to you to keep it away from magnetic interference at take off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers