Radio channel quality bouncing "good"..."poor"

Reaction score
I checked other applicabble threads and didn't see a specific answer in relation to WiFi interference and how it affects radio channel quality. When I'm anywhere around my house, the radio channel quality bounces between "poor" and "good". I do have a pretty powerful router and wireless security cameras. I'm assuming that's the cause? I have not had an opportunity to fly (from) off my own property yet. I still get good distance and no dropouts but I noticed in my logs "loss of data downlink" for 1.5 seconds every now and then. Maybe WiFi interference is the cause of that too?

So my real question is, I assume you can't change the frequency of the RC/craft so do you think setting a different WiFi channel for the 2.4 Ghz band on my router would help any? Also, is that "radio channel quality" referring to the RC itself, the LightBridge (for which I've tried many channels, including the 32 channel hack), or some combination of both? Or... when you select one of the 32 channels, are you selecting the channel for both the flight controls and Lightbridge at the same time. Sorry for the dumb questions. Maybe it's in the manual (oops)? ;)

Thanks,
Mike

First you should check the interference on your DJI go app and then select a channel with minimum noise around. 32 channel hack will definitely give you more choice. When you select a different channel, you in fact change the transmission frequency in 2.4 GHz band.

Does the 32 channels get used in auto mode? Or is auto still just selecting its choice from the 8 channels or whatever it is without the mod when on auto

Does the 32 channels get used in auto mode? Or is auto still just selecting its choice from the 8 channels or whatever it is without the mod when on auto
Not sure if auto works for 32 channel hack as I always keep it at ch 30.

Same thing happens to me. Sitting in my living room, 10 feet from the quad, I get strong interference, please fly with caution. Quality poor. Yet I have flown out 15,000 feet with no issues

I've tried literally every channel from 1-32. Every channel from about 19 upward shows no interference but they all bounce between poor (lots of interference) and good. I've read elsewhere that with the 32 channel hack, auto still only chooses between channels 13 and 20. Haven't done my first flight yet with the channel set to 32 but will try later. But sitting still, even channel 32 shows poor/interference fluctuating on and off. Had been flying on channel 20 before the hack as it had the least interference according to the app. Gone as far as 1700 feet so far with no dropouts but I do get lots of "data downlink connection lost" for 1.5 seconds at a time each flight. I don't notice that either: everything seems normal.

Mike

I have two routers. Both dual band (2.4 & 5.8) I put both routers and bands on manual channel.
Left the P3 on auto. Has been OK now.

May I presume that more than one Phantom can fly in proximity on the same channel?

I have two routers. Both dual band (2.4 & 5.8) I put both routers and bands on manual channel.
Left the P3 on auto. Has been OK now.

I have had this same issue since day one. I put in a call to dji when I 1st noticed it and was offered a RMA which I said no thanks to. But from the get-go I have never had any performance issues due to this whatsoever. Like others with this problem I have flown out to far distances with no ill effects.

So Trackman1, are you suggesting this is related to router channel selection? If so, it makes me think the actual problem could be my P3 lost or lacks the ability to scan for a stronger/clearer wifi channel?

Frank. Poor signal was happening to me sometimes when flying from home. I used to shut the routers down before flying to avoid this. Now they are not on auto, I don't have that problem.

My assumption (could be wrong) is that everything was jumping around looking for a good channel.
I am rural so the only interference would be from my house. So set the router on manual. No problems since.

Frank. Poor signal was happening to me sometimes when flying from home. I used to shut the routers down before flying to avoid this. Now they are not on auto, I don't have that problem.

My assumption (could be wrong) is that everything was jumping around looking for a good channel.
I am rural so the only interference would be from my house. So set the router on manual. No problems since.

I spent a lot of time trying to research this issue in the past. All I came up with was that there was others who also had the problem. Some did nothing about it where others sent their a/c in for repair. However I never got around to asking what the repair was. Because it was never mentioned I have a feeling they didn't know what was repaired.

So let me ask you this,.....if it brings up the error when your router's were in auto, what happens if it is not even getting a signal from a router? Does this only pertain to a router that the a/c has been granted a connection to?

The way I understand it auto only chooses from the eight channels if you want to use the 32 channel hack you got to manually select one

If I remember correctly my nexus was in airport mode. I think everything was skipping around the channels trying to find a good one.
Each router has 2 channels. So there is 4.Then there is the Hydro smart meter that happens to be on public wifi at 1 watt. Also my internet is by wireless 2.4ghz.

I wanted to cut down on the jumping channels. It seems to have helped the smart meter also, as it reads back to the power company everyday now. Before it use to miss a lot of days and play catch up.

I tried the 32 channel hack. Saw no difference in my case. Took it out and put the p3 back on auto.

Poor signal was intermittent and only at my house. It sounds like your problem is something different.

I've been having this happen since updating, intermittently when first opening the go app. Happened again tonight and when I checked my channel 20 that I stay on, it was all clear. None of the channels were particularly noisy but I remain on channel 20 and it was fine. Flew no problem. I think it's a bug, bogus reporting. Who knows but it hasn't affected flight ever and never shows the warning during flight. Only on initial app start and seems to settle down quick enough.

I have also had this problem since day 1. I was told from members of this forum to simply ignore it and just fly. I will attempt the 32 channel hack and report back here but for now my APP reads "poor channel quality" 24/7 an I still fly 1.5 miles out in the city LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj