Radar problem

Reaction score
Hi all

I've noticed that sometimes the arrow in the radar (bottom left of the Vision app), that shows the position of the phantom relative to the home position, is pointing 180 degrees from where it should. So if the copter is going away from you it is pointing as if it is coming towards you. I have calibrated the compass in the phantom fine and it has plenty of satellites.

Any idea what is happening?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks

I'm not sure my phone has a compass actually. However, I was thinking of buying a Samsung Tab 4 to use with the Phantom 2 Vision plus. Do you know whether a suitable tablet has to have a built in magnetometer for the radar system to work?

Also, I live in the Southern hemisphere so I don't know if that confuses things.

Thanks

I believe the pointer in the radar relies on the phone compass. It you rotate the phone the pointer should rotate with it and remain pointing towards the Phantom. If your phone has a compass it usually has a "calibrate compass" function somewhere in the settings.

I think that's the problem - I don't think the phone has a compass :)

So when buying a tablet do you think it's important to make sure it has a built in compass otherwise the radar won't work?

yes, I had to get rid of my super cheap china quad core IPS android due to missing compass, now using phone with compass. So read datasheet carefully before purchase :).
Check free program GPS status from Google play store, it might help to find out if you have compass or not, and also helps to calibrate it, my phone has no special menu item to calibrate compass.....

cheers, that's helped.

Also, do you need a tablet with 3G so you can use the 'find the quad' feature in the app?

I never really look at the radar. But does the way it's facing when recording your home position have anything to do with it ? I'll try it later. I use a iPad mini wifi only.

Mori55 said:
I never really look at the radar. But does the way it's facing when recording your home position have anything to do with it ? I'll try it later. I use a iPad mini wifi only.

I haven't had my Phantom long so just curious - if you don't use your radar then how do you know which direction you're flying in once you've gone too far to be able to tell from sight (which isn't very far for me as I loose orientation quite easy)? If the FPV is easy to view then I can see from that which direction it is pointing in but if it's very sunny (so I can't see the screen well), or the terrain is confusing such as having lots of buildings or trees that all look the same, then I haven't a clue and have found myself relying on the radar. Is there a better method?

Cheers

Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj