Race filming

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am a very newbie. I will be filming cross country, road, and track races. I am only 11 years old so I have a fairly tight budget. Do you guys have any suggestions on what equipment I should get?

Thanks!

Re: Race filming

Hi runnerman - what equipment do you have at the moment? Assume its a stck Phantom + Hero camera?
You have probably already seen that anything you add to a Phantom comes at a hefty premium so if you can post a rough budget that would help people keep it sensible.

Now the boring 'old man' part - I'd be REALLY wary of filming runners.... you are basically flying a 4 prop hedge strimmer and legally (UK at least) you should have written persmission to fly within 50 meters of any human (and permission of the event runner). Sorry that sounds like a downer but if you are a self confessed inexperianced pilot and you really don't want to hurt someone. You are probably a better pilot than many adults but you'll still feel just as bad if something goes wrong.

Still post what you have and I'm sure people will chip in with advice.

Race filming

DeweyAXD said:
Hi runnerman - what equipment do you have at the moment? Assume its a stck Phantom + Hero camera?
You have probably already seen that anything you add to a Phantom comes at a hefty premium so if you can post a rough budget that would help people keep it sensible.

Now the boring 'old man' part - I'd be REALLY wary of filming runners.... you are basically flying a 4 prop hedge strimmer and legally (UK at least) you should have written persmission to fly within 50 meters of any human (and permission of the event runner). Sorry that sounds like a downer but if you are a self confessed inexperianced pilot and you really don't want to hurt someone. You are probably a better pilot than many adults but you'll still feel just as bad if something goes wrong.

Still post what you have and I'm sure people will chip in with advice.
Thanks for the reply. I am in America. My budget is maybe "500". Stock phantom and gopro white

Cool - well I'd go with a TX upgrade to a full range one like the Futaba T8J. Easy to fit/setup, comes with a new reciever and lots of support on here and youtube. Next a gimbal like AeroXcraft. That will eat most of $500 but you will get a more reliable Phantom via the TX and you can customise it to slow your yaw rate (something i only learnt yesterday and works great!). Gimbals that work speak for themselves via youtube vids. Some would argue FPV via goggles before TX upgrade bet if you really are going to fly over people you a) want reliability and b) MUST have line of sight at all times in my opinion.

Hope that helps for starters.

DeweyAXD said:
Cool - well I'd go with a TX upgrade to a full range one like the Futaba T8J. Easy to fit/setup, comes with a new reciever and lots of support on here and youtube. Next a gimbal like AeroXcraft. That will eat most of $500 but you will get a more reliable Phantom via the TX and you can customise it to slow your yaw rate (something i only learnt yesterday and works great!). Gimbals that work speak for themselves via youtube vids. Some would argue FPV via goggles before TX upgrade bet if you really are going to fly over people you a) want reliability and b) MUST have line of sight at all times in my opinion.

Hope that helps for starters.
Thanks! U have been very helpful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers