QYV, help? Boscam TS352 & LCD5802, FPVLR antennas

Reaction score
My FPV feed gets pretty sketchy and pretty unusable around 400-500m range..any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I had the TS352 on Ch 6 and the LCD5802 is on C 6.

I have the exact same setup as you.

Thanks!

texasderek said:
My FPV feed gets pretty sketchy and pretty unusable around 400-500m range..any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? I had the TS352 on Ch 6 and the LCD5802 is on C 6.

I have the exact same setup as you.

Thanks!

maybe there is an aiming/positioning issue, could you share a picture of how you mounted and aimed the antenna on the copter and also on the monitor

Maybe I can help a bit, being an engineering student.

The only thing I see that I could do different is turn the vTx around so that the antenna runs down the other side..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 660
Re: QYV, help? Boscam TS352 & LCD5802, FPVLR antennas

Nothing really stands out as bad orientation. The pinwheel on the monitor could be bent slightly to face upward. Since your using dual diversity monitor can you confirm that its switching to the helical antenna once its out a ways?

Also grab a buddy or use a tripod and mount your monitor away from your remote just to determine if its not causing the poor reception. I have same monitor and mount. The remote antenna sometimes needs to be moved around to find the least bleed over.

Damon said:
Nothing really stands out as bad orientation. The pinwheel on the monitor could be bent slightly to face upward. Since your using dual diversity monitor can you confirm that its switching to the helical antenna once its out a ways?

Also grab a buddy or use a tripod and mount your monitor away from your remote just to determine if its not causing the poor reception. I have same monitor and mount. The remote antenna sometimes needs to be moved around to find the least bleed over.

Good advice, but QYV has the exact same setup, including the monitor mount, and he gets 1000m...there has to be something I'm not doing right.

It could be different frequency on tx and rx, those tx have bad labeling when it comes to channel selection, in oder to get the same channel, both tx and rx have different dip switch positions.

If you are on adjacent frequency that would cause you to only have a few hundred meters with a directional antenna instead of several KM.

I had to research online what are the correct dip switches to get the correct channel on the tx.

Also the pinwheel on the monitor needs to point up, while the helix looks more or less ok, pointing out at the copter.

I see the antenna on the copter is somewhat blocked by the gimbal and camera when you turn to come back, and it's fine when you are going out, unless you are at high altitude, then the angle is favorable and you have lOS to the antenna .

hey sorry I was out of town for the weekend and didn't get on this forum much.

I'm on channel 1. There's been a "transmitter wattage chart" that gets posted around here from time to time (I didn't make it) showing channels 1-4 on the TS352 make the most power, and my FPVLR antenna came with a handwritten note on the receipt saying that it was optimized for channel 1 (5705) so that's what I use.
so then that's C-1 on an RX-LCD5802.

I typically don't even use the pinwheel on the receiver when I have the helix installed. The only difference I can even think of is my transmit antenna cable was a bit longer than yours... in your picture the phantom is sitting on a flat surface and the antenna doesn't even reach the ground. On mine, I cannot do that with the antenna it would hit the floor... pointed straight down my antenna is lower than the feet so no matter what the orientation of the Phantom, the pinwheel is below the feet. Unfortunately due to a crash I lost that antenna so I went and purchased FPVLR's "pentalobe" transmit antenna which unfortunately came with a much shorter cable and a straight connector, so it's going to wind up being more like yours I think. Hopefully I'll get my new gimbal this week in the mail so by next weekend I'll be trying it all out

not sure if that could be the issue I mean if your phantom was facing away from you it shouldn't matter, however if you think about it if your phantom was a few hundred meters away and you turned so that the camera is facing you, now your FPV antenna could theoretically be blocked by the gimbal/gopro. Does that sound like what's happening at all or does it not matter how the Phantom is facing?

also I mean... as the Phantom flies farther away it's harder to keep the helix pointed STRAIGHT at the Phantom. In the other thread I said "when I have the helix pointed at the transmitter" I get that kind of range because indeed unless I'm very careful about antenna orientation I lose FPV signal... fortunately I'm pretty good at keeping track of it so I can usually point the helix right back where it needs to be but... I'm just sort of brainstorming trying to think what all it could be

The only other thing I can think of is he ordered the wrong terminated end. He might have got a rp-sma and placed it on either side that actually needed an sma.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417444745791.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417444745791.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 467
QYV said:
hey sorry I was out of town for the weekend and didn't get on this forum much.

I'm on channel 1. There's been a "transmitter wattage chart" that gets posted around here from time to time (I didn't make it) showing channels 1-4 on the TS352 make the most power, and my FPVLR antenna came with a handwritten note on the receipt saying that it was optimized for channel 1 (5705) so that's what I use.
so then that's C-1 on an RX-LCD5802.

I typically don't even use the pinwheel on the receiver when I have the helix installed. The only difference I can even think of is my transmit antenna cable was a bit longer than yours... in your picture the phantom is sitting on a flat surface and the antenna doesn't even reach the ground. On mine, I cannot do that with the antenna it would hit the floor... pointed straight down my antenna is lower than the feet so no matter what the orientation of the Phantom, the pinwheel is below the feet. Unfortunately due to a crash I lost that antenna so I went and purchased FPVLR's "pentalobe" transmit antenna which unfortunately came with a much shorter cable and a straight connector, so it's going to wind up being more like yours I think. Hopefully I'll get my new gimbal this week in the mail so by next weekend I'll be trying it all out

not sure if that could be the issue I mean if your phantom was facing away from you it shouldn't matter, however if you think about it if your phantom was a few hundred meters away and you turned so that the camera is facing you, now your FPV antenna could theoretically be blocked by the gimbal/gopro. Does that sound like what's happening at all or does it not matter how the Phantom is facing?

also I mean... as the Phantom flies farther away it's harder to keep the helix pointed STRAIGHT at the Phantom. In the other thread I said "when I have the helix pointed at the transmitter" I get that kind of range because indeed unless I'm very careful about antenna orientation I lose FPV signal... fortunately I'm pretty good at keeping track of it so I can usually point the helix right back where it needs to be but... I'm just sort of brainstorming trying to think what all it could be

I was using Ch 6 on the transmitter (C-6 on the LCD5802), Tony at FPVLR had told me he preferred using the 5900+ channels. I'll switch to Ch 1 and see if it makes a difference. The weather doesn't look that great today, so I may not be able to fly this afternoon.

As far as the antenna on the Phantom, I do get better reception when it is facing away from me. I went about 630m yesterday and had pretty good recepption but was losing LOS, so I came back just to be safe.

I think I need to do the scotch tape mod and get rid of the horizontal bars of interference as well.

With the amount of interference that I get at the 400-600m range, I don't see a possibility of going 1000-2000m. I'll also double check my SMA and RPSMA connections to make sure they are correct.

mountaindr3wz said:
pretty basic but are you flying near cell towers, buildings, or not having a clear line of sight?

I've done all those things, but I've also bad about the same reception out on some open farm land. The reception is fine for normal filming and recording, but I don't see how I'll be able to squeeze out anything over 700 to possibly 800m's.

When you describe the poor reception, and mention the tape mod...is iosd still clear with gopro image noisy?

Also another thing to consider, did you ever power up the vtx with the antenna not on it? I mention this because it can wreck the vtx.

Damon said:
When you describe the poor reception, and mention the tape mod...is iosd still clear with gopro image noisy?

Also another thing to consider, did you ever power up the vtx with the antenna not on it? I mention this because it can wreck the vtx.

No, I never powered on the vtx without an antenna connected.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure the entire feed (gopro & iosd) was poor, not one or the other.

I'm going to switch channels to Ch 3 or 4 tonight on my TS352 and see if I get any better results. I'm also going to double check my sma and rpsma connections to make sure I have the correct ones. When I hooked everything up the first time, I do remember each connection had a male and a female..not exactly sure about the sma and rpsma though.

texasderek said:
I'll also double check my SMA and RPSMA connections to make sure they are correct.

As long as you bought THIS part number from FPVLR (and not this part#) then you should have gotten the right transmit antenna connector.

Switching channels should really only help if something is interfering on a particular channel, 5.8ghz equipment IS becoming more common for example my wifi router has 2.4 and 5.8ghz radios... but if you're out in a field in the middle of nowhere that shouldn't matter.
There is of course that "different power on different channels" factor but 3-4 are the strongest channels on a TS352 but only barely compared to 1 & 2 if the below chart is to be believed (it's widely accepted I'm just sayin I can't personally verify this is true)
file.php

I made a mistake once and fired up my Phantom and the transmitter antenna wasn't ALL the way screwed in tight and poof, no more transmitter. I was like wtf why am I suddenly getting no signal?! finally bought a new transmitter and voila. So I went and bought a few to keep around just in case since the super cheap ones ship from china and take forever to arrive.

I mean I thought this was obvious but let's talk about it... on your receiver, do you usually have both antennas plugged in? Are you on the diversity input? if I recall correctly, there are inputs on the RX-LCD5802 for A, B, and diversity (and AUX).
So for example, if you have your pinwheel in A and helix in B, but you're only on the A input (not diversity which will automatically use strongest signal) then your LCD isn't automatically switching over to the other antenna. pay attention to the little indicators in the lower left of the LCD, they should tell you which antenna is being used... I'm hoping maybe you've inadvertently been running ONLY on the pinwheel this whole time and are about to be surprised and impressed when you actually use the helix :)

Here's how I operate... for starters I'm always on the diversity input, but I usually only have 1 antenna in at a time, if I'm flying short range like under 2-300m, I'll just use the pinwheel. I've noticed that when I have both antennas attached , 99% of the time it's using the helix (unless I don't have the helix pointed at the Phantom) so most of my flights I just go ahead and use only the helix and just always keep it pointed at the Phantom

I'm definitely going to check to see if my receiver is on the diversity input. Fingers crossed that it's NOT on diversity and that it will end up being the issue..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20