"Quick" release for prop guards

Reaction score
So the prop guards seem like a great idea, but they're a PITA to install and remove if you want to store the Phantom in a reasonably sized case.

Has anyone found a solution?

I was thinking replacing the standard bolt with a standoff (like the one pictured) would let you attach and detach them in a single step without having to switch bolts.

The only concern is the base profile of the standoff may not match the countersinking. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Standoff.jpg
    Standoff.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,212
Here's my current alternative storage solution :)

Attachments

• Storage Box.JPG
    Storage Box.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,165
mroberts said:
Here's my current alternative storage solution :)

Nice solution. I invested all that money in a nice Phantom case, and have the prop guards sitting here in their box because its either use them or use the case - can't do both without it being a big PITA. I've yet to even put them on.

One option is to leave the short screws out when you take off the gaurds, that way you're just putting the new screws in so it should be a lot faster. HOWEVER, if I were doing that, I'd be running a loop of masking tape over the top of the prop so I didn't forget that I'd taken the screws out.

mroberts said:
So the prop guards seem like a great idea, but they're a PITA to install and remove if you want to store the Phantom in a reasonably sized case.

Has anyone found a solution?

I was thinking replacing the standard bolt with a standoff (like the one pictured) would let you attach and detach them in a single step without having to switch bolts.

The only concern is the base profile of the standoff may not match the countersinking. Any thoughts?
I know this is a old post. But did you ever use the standoffs ? Do you have a link?

I thought of using these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36x-SJ356..._Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item1c3d6f7164

However the C/F prop guards I ordered never arrived (lost at Heathrow customs) so I never got a chance to find out. Plus of course I'd already returned my P2V and still haven't received my P2 to replace it, so I didn't even have a Phantom to fix them too :cry:

Anyway, I digress. Any thoughts on fixing prop guards on with these very strong pads (which I do have!) ?

Peter Evans said:
I thought of using these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36x-SJ356..._Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item1c3d6f7164

However the C/F prop guards I ordered never arrived (lost at Heathrow customs) so I never got a chance to find out. Plus of course I'd already returned my P2V and still haven't received my P2 to replace it, so I didn't even have a Phantom to fix them too :cry:

Anyway, I digress. Any thoughts on fixing prop guards on with these very strong pads (which I do have!) ?

Hmmm...even if they hold the guards on well (which I'm sure they would), I'd suspect the guards would still have a tiny bit of wiggle room which could be enough to allow some nasty vibrations. Just a guess.

OI Photography said:
Hmmm...even if they hold the guards on well (which I'm sure they would), I'd suspect the guards would still have a tiny bit of wiggle room which could be enough to allow some nasty vibrations. Just a guess.

I hadn't considered that. Hmmm, indeed :?

I really like the guards , but I also like the case. I don't want be loading screws all the time.
Also I can find the short screws from dji , but I can't find their replacement longer screws for sale.
They look like a special shoulder screw ?

No way to engineer them to clip on? They are useful but add too much when you want to try to fit your bird in a backpack or case. Would be nice and I'm surprised they haven't been made yet.

I'm thinking about cutting them, so they slide on and tighten down. Anyone tried that?

The idea would be so that instead of a hole and a screw, you have a channel to slide it one without taking the screw out. Then you tighten the screw.

Think this would work, or is it a bad idea?

but when you fly without you have only 2 screws per motor that are tightened, maybe it's safe maybe not, and also with alla the vibration is possible you loose the non tightened screws... it's a good idea but you need to find something to put there to tighten the screws when not using the guards

Peter Evans said:
I tried this setup and for me they weren't secure enough. If I hit them they would definitely move up and the prop.
I did exactly the same way and used the same stuff.

Mori55 said:
I tried this setup and for me they weren't secure enough. If I hit them they would definitely move up and the prop.
I did exactly the same way and used the same stuff.

Did you cut off the screw projections in the prop-guard mountings? I tested mine by banging the Phantom into a wall and they were very secure. They don't touch the props at all

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4