Quick question... just lost my drone

Yikes, I didnt see this response. Not sure what raw format is.
No worries then since you're not editing RAW files.

The Spark worked perfectly. Easy to fly and took great pics. I like it better than the P3S. Only 15 min battery, but I have 2 of them. Don’t like that too much, but i’ll Get use to it.

I have owned the Phanton 4 Pro, a Mavic Air, and now the Mavic 2 Pro. If you find the images you take with you phone satisfy your needs and just want "a phone on a large tripod" (e.g. a drone), I have found, assuming the lighting conditions are good, the Mavic Air would meet your needs. The Mavic Air, like the phone, meets the criteria that "the best camera is the one you have with you" due to its portability.

I have owned the Phanton 4 Pro, a Mavic Air, and now the Mavic 2 Pro. If you find the images you take with you phone satisfy your needs and just want "a phone on a large tripod" (e.g. a drone), I have found, assuming the lighting conditions are good, the Mavic Air would meet your needs. The Mavic Air, like the phone, meets the criteria that "the best camera is the one you have with you" due to its portability.

I went with the Spark. Love it so far

I went with the Spark. Love it so far
I think you made a great choice to replace your P3S. The Spark can do pretty much everything a P3S can do except in a smaller package. The Mavic Air is twice the price of the Spark and would only be worth it if you wanted the additional features.

Chris

I think you made a great choice to replace your P3S. The Spark can do pretty much everything a P3S can do except in a smaller package. The Mavic Air is twice the price of the Spark and would only be worth it if you wanted the additional features.

Chris

Awesome to know. Thanks.

You will need to research the specs and compare the two. Personally, a spark is no substitute for a Phantom. It is very small, lightweight and wind prone in comparison. For the price it will do the job, but pretty much any wind at all and you are asking for trouble IMO.

Watch this video - Chris Rollins checks out the Spark's wind stability, better than you might think:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch this video - Chris Rollins checks out the Spark's wind stability, better than you might think:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Pretty impressive

Chris Rollins checks out the Spark's wind stability, better than you might think:
@Noob Not a very realistic test and quite silly IMO. Food for thought here. This is a data set that I have looked at previously from a Spark. The wind was quite strong as you will notice. At approx 140 seconds in to this flight, the Pilot initiated RTH, at approximately 27 meters in altitude and approx. 200 meters from the home point. You can see the aircraft turned around to head home, however the distance from home continued to increase, even with the pilot giving full elevator heading toward the home point. Bottom line here is the aircraft continued to drift away. Judging by the footage from the aircraft I would say the winds were gusting to 30-35mph. You be the judge. This is why I mentioned the wind above. Phantoms and Mavics may handle that. A Spark will not.

GO HOME.PNG

And the wind:

WIND_1.gif

@Noob Not a very realistic test and quite silly IMO. Food for thought here. This is a data set that I have looked at previously from a Spark. The wind was quite strong as you will notice. At approx 140 seconds in to this flight, the Pilot initiated RTH, at approximately 27 meters in altitude and approx. 200 meters from the home point. You can see the aircraft turned around to head home, however the distance from home continued to increase, even with the pilot giving full elevator heading toward the home point. Bottom line here is the aircraft continued to drift away. Judging by the footage from the aircraft I would say the winds were gusting to 30-35mph. You be the judge. This is why I mentioned the wind above. Phantoms and Mavics may handle that. A Spark will not.

View attachment 109686

And the wind:

View attachment 109687

That’s good to know. Thanks. I flew yesterday for a little while in 20-25 mph and it did fine. Thats probably the max I will fly in just to be safe. It’s probably better to fly against the wind at the start, then with the wind on the way back. Nothing worse than fighting wind on the way back and the battery is getting low.

It’s probably better to fly against the wind at the start, then with the wind on the way back.
That is the "Rule of Thumb" so to speak. I realize that was a dramatic representation, but that was from slightly below 100ft in altitude. It gets worse as you go up. Bear that in mind with any surface winds....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic