Quick Battery Question

Reaction score
I am getting a free battery which would make my total number of batteries 5. I rarely use more than three when flying but I have been trying to rotate my 4 batteries equally to keep them all about the same as far as battery life. When I get my 5th battery should I add it to the rotation or just do a long time storage to keep the charging cycles down?

Thanks!

If you rarely use more than 3 when flying, and you currently have 4... Why would you get a 5th? Just curious

If you rarely use more than 3 when flying, and you currently have 4... Why would you get a 5th? Just curious
It was a freebie due to an order mix up on my original purchase. I also like to have extras in case of failures.

Ahh, missed the 'free' part. If I were you I would use the new one as much as possible to bring it close to the others, and then put it in the rotation. I don't like to let my batteries sit too long without use, but that's just me.. Good luck

I have 6 batteries are casually rotate their use so that no battery gets overused or unused.

As for Pete's question: I think a valid case could be made for occasionally getting extra batteries so that they come to end-of-life at different times. So when 1 of 4 dies, you still have 3 and if you replace the 4th, then that would be the newest and would live the longest of the 4 current ones.

Another reason: while I have 6 now, if the P3P compatible batteries start selling and really low prices (under $100), I would be tempted to get at least one or two to stock pile. I guess it depends on how soon you would consider retiring your current craft.

I have 6 batteries are casually rotate their use so that no battery gets overused or unused.

As for Pete's question: I think a valid case could be made for occasionally getting extra batteries so that they come to end-of-life at different times. So when 1 of 4 dies, you still have 3 and if you replace the 4th, then that would be the newest and would live the longest of the 4 current ones.

Another reason: while I have 6 now, if the P3P compatible batteries start selling and really low prices (under $100), I would be tempted to get at least one or two to stock pile. I guess it depends on how soon you would consider retiring your current craft.
When you say "compatible batteries" are you referring to aftermarket ones? I heard with the new update DJI will not allow the use of aftermarket batteries. I panicked when I heard this as I had purchased two from Amazon but luckily they were DJI batteries. Thanks for your response!

My suggestion would be either sell off your extra battery or use it in sequence.

Reactions: WWK888
Sorry for the confusion. When I say compatible, I mean official DJI batteries made for this model only. DJI batteries made for other DJI models won't work on the P3P, right?

Likewise, if I buy too many P3P batteries and then upgrade to the P4, I have to buy all new batteries again.

Someday, DJI might release progressive models that can use the previous models bat ... NAAAH, it'll never happen!!

Reactions: WWK888
Excluding cell issues, has anyone actually reached end of life of their P3 battery yet? I haven't heard of anyone and the oldest one is just nearing the 1yr anniversary. I'm curious if life is more a factor of time vs usage. I think both play a role, but thinking time may be the main factor

Not me. I just calibrated all of my batteries and all seem to still be at 95% life or greater and a couple of mine are closing on a year too.

(The procedure to determine this is in the manual, but in a nutshell, press and hold the battery power button for ~5 seconds and see which lights blink, the more solid bars the better.)

In respect to time vs usage, there's another factor or two. I'm not a battery expert, but there seems to be a few things you can do to shorten the life of a battery, such as storing got a long time at an improper state. P3 Intelligent batteries discharge down to ~65% on their own I hear, but what if you ran one down to 10% and then stored it for a long time without charging it around 1/2 way?

Batteries are more robust than they were several years ago (no more NiCad memory issues for instance), but they can still be mistreated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20