Questions, comments for a noob.

Reaction score
I'm new and I'm having troubles get over my nerves.
1. Going high. I took off beginner mode, but when I go above 60m, I feel like I'm getting nervous.

2. Flying over water. I live on Long Island, so the best photos are going to be over or near water. I am scared though to get it over water.

3. Flying too far from me. I know it can go as far as 1/2 mile, but I get nervous if it's (about) 50 yards away.

Anybody experience this? There's so much I'd like to do, but need advice or even reassurance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Everyone experiences this with their personal drone at first. Having flown r/c planes for decades I was still cautious at first until I felt I could trust the control link reliability.

I just flew my first flight yesterday and I didn't think I would be nervous at all... I was so impatient to get my drone and after installing firmwares and ran out side and all the excitement turned to being nervous lol... I experience the same emotions as you did. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935P using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fear and anxiety is normal, my first flight over the ocean had me buckling at the knees and it turned out to baseless as it was easier than flying over the land (except for the sea gulls). Practice and more practice is the key.

Before I got my drone (2 weeks ago) I watched my friend and his. I was nervous for his drone. Got mine first flight was just as nervous. Took it for a quick one yesterday flew a little further then normal and yes got me worried. I'm sure or hoping this will pass at some point.

Get insurance on your drone. I just bought a 1 year policy from State Farm (includes both my P3S and P4) for $60. That way up you lose UT, your insurance will replace it.

Secondly, fly low and slow (beginners mode) until your confidence grows. When you feel comfortable, come off beginners mode and set your own limits, increasing them as you gain more flight time.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MA drone guy
I'm new and I'm having troubles get over my nerves.
1. Going high. I took off beginner mode, but when I go above 60m, I feel like I'm getting nervous.

2. Flying over water. I live on Long Island, so the best photos are going to be over or near water. I am scared though to get it over water.

3. Flying too far from me. I know it can go as far as 1/2 mile, but I get nervous if it's (about) 50 yards away.

Anybody experience this? There's so much I'd like to do, but need advice or even reassurance.

Yes I was nervous also. On fourth flight I went 1/4 of a mile. Then in fifth just took off and flew 3/4 of a mile.

What is your deductible on that policy?

Get insurance on your drone. I just bought a 1 year policy from State Farm (includes both my P3S and P4) for $60. That way up you lose UT, your insurance will replace it.

Secondly, fly low and slow (beginners mode) until your confidence grows. When you feel comfortable, come off beginners mode and set your own limits, increasing them as you gain more flight time.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not alone! That's great to know. It's weird. I'm somewhat afraid of heights and when I look at my drone 100-200-400 feet in the ski, I get sort of the same feeling. I'm going to look into the insurance too. I think the biggest fear is having to replace something I really enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Gixxerbrett
I posted this on another newbie thread called Second Thoughts on this forum:
I was heart broken when I crashed on my second flight, but I got the Phantom 2V repaired quickly, easily, and not especially expensively. Then I crashed again, was heart broken, but got it repaired again. Fortunately no damage on the third crash. All those crashes were within 3 weeks 3 years ago when I first started and all were pilot error - I zigged when I should have zagged. No crashes since, and I feel very confident and experienced to a point where I'll fly any time, anywhere, and among any obstacles. Patience, experience, attention to the manual, advice on this forum, and MSinger's site will get you past your inevitable crashes, too. Dying is part of living; crashing is part of flying.
Here are a couple tips from me. I have tested and used RTH but I much prefer to control the Phantom myself, so I always keep it in sight and then bring home and land it without RTH. When I'm not sure which way it is pointed relative to where I wish to go, I tap the left or right stick, and if it goes the opposite way I want it to go, then I know its orientation and what then what I have to do to make it fly where I want. Another little tip: Increase the length of the sticks 1/8" to 1/4" by unscrewing the top of the stick, then screw up the lower half the screw to tighten it. I believe lengthened sticks provide more sensitive control.

I know this in an old thread, but I want to put in my two cents for anybody who happens to pass thru.

When I started flying R/C airplanes as soon as I took off all that went thru my head was "oh crap, how am I gonna land this thing!?!" And that was before any kind of GPS or automatic RTH technology. But even with this new tech that makes flying so much more accessible and convenient I still resort back to my initial fears or concerns.... which all kinda come down to expect the best, prepare for the worst..

Only fly as high as you're willing to watch it fall.

Don't fly over water deeper than your willing to dive.

Don't fly it farther than you're willing to walk to retrieve it.

All the fears are normal and they basically boil down to one thing.. you don't wanna lose your drone. Nobody does. While fear is normal and a good thing, I bet it itself is a factor that leads to many crashes. Don't panic. Think about the main things that could lead to a crash? High wind, battery drain, contact with obstacles, flying in a lightning storm?... I think the other people here will be able to chime in with other bad drone scenarios to watch out for.

Knowledge is power. Read and watch anything you can about people losing their drones or not losing their drones. Anything to give you an advantage on your own flights is a plus.

..When I'm not sure which way it is pointed relative to where I wish to go, I tap the left or right stick, and if it goes the opposite way I want it to go, then I know its orientation and what then what I have to do to make it fly where I want...
Early in my hobby of R/C airplanes I was flying over a lake and I turned it back straight towards me to bring it home, the sun was low right behind it, it was so beautiful and then it didn't seem to be getting closer I wiggled the sticks but it was too late... it had flown out of range. I had accidentally orientated it away from me... never saw it again. From that point on I made one wing red and the other wing green.. then I would always know which direction my craft was flying.

I treat my drone no different. Those red stickers, the trademark phantom look... on mine one arm is red the other arm green. While I love the technology at my back, I don't depend on it.

The more flying you do the more confidence you'll have, just like tight rope walking.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20