Questions about P2

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the past weekend I met someone flying a phantom 2 and quickly became intrigued. Since then, I have been doing research on the internet and have gotten more serious about a purchase. I will try to be as direct with my questions as I can.

-I have limited experience with RC units only cars as a kid. Would I be getting in over my head to think I could fly one of these units?

-I have noticed essentially two options for camera set ups. Is there any advantage of the go pro over the stock camera(vision+)? Ideally, I would have FPV also with go pro....

-What kind of image quality can I expect if I decide to go with the vision +? I have a few properties I would like to take pictures of and develop photos to put on the wall? Would they be acceptable quality?

-Would you recommend purchasing from a store or could I set up on my own out of box from purchasing online? (I have no problem reading directions as much as needed)

-I am also located within 1.5 miles of the local radio tower, would that cause any issues?

Would I be getting in over my head to think I could fly one of these units?
Definitely No ... the Phantom is extremely easy to fly.
Of course it takes practice and learning to get good at it but flying is very easy.

Is there any advantage of the go pro over the stock camera(vision+)?
This is asked almost every day here. Look back and you'll find many threads discussing it.

What kind of image quality can I expect if I decide to go with the vision +?
Look at this thread for some idea viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16761
Or see my sig for some of mine.

could I set up on my own out of box from purchasing online?
The P2+ comes almost ready to fly. You just have to charge the batteries and calibrate the compass (after reading the manual etc)

-I am also located within 1.5 miles of the local radio tower, would that cause any issues?
At that distance there would be no effect at all.

cominginhot said:
-I have limited experience with RC units only cars as a kid. Would I be getting in over my head to think I could fly one of these units?

No. You will be fine. Period.
The Phantom is easy to fly, and as long as you're a conscientious pilot, you'll be flying fine in your first couple of minutes.

cominginhot said:
-I have noticed essentially two options for camera set ups. Is there any advantage of the go pro over the stock camera(vision+)? Ideally, I would have FPV also with go pro....

There are, of course, two camps on this issue... as there always are. The GoPro can, arguably, give you better final video. When it comes to stills, the cameras are pretty equal. You won't get FPV or mobile app connectivity with a GoPro without some extra hardware and components. It's personal preference whether that's worth the expense to you.

If ALL you're after is FPV, you won't find a better out-of-the-box solution than the Vision series.

cominginhot said:
- What kind of image quality can I expect if I decide to go with the vision +? I have a few properties I would like to take pictures of and develop photos to put on the wall? Would they be acceptable quality?

There are samples all over these forums and all over the web that will give you an idea as to quality. The RESOLUTION is suitable for large prints, yes... it's just a matter of whether you feel the cameras tonal range, focus, etc, are acceptable.

The FC200 cameras on the Vision series are now capable, with the latest firmware update, to shoot in RAW... which definitely makes the shots easier to work with in post.

cominginhot said:
-Would you recommend purchasing from a store or could I set up on my own out of box from purchasing online? (I have no problem reading directions as much as needed)

Depends on what store. ;-) There are some stores that have stellar packages, put together by people who really know and care about the hobby and the industry... and there are some stores that are just in it for the money and don't really know what they're doing.

I, personally, would find a reputable store and at least talk to them about what you want. Have them give you an estimate for a package price. Then you can decide if it's worth it or if you want to take on doing it yourself.

I will warn you, though, that putting a platform together on your own is going to be a lot more than just "reading instructions". You'll really REALLY want to dig into research and know exactly what you're doing.

cominginhot said:

1.5 MILES? You're not likely to have any issues, no. I wouldn't fly right up TO it... but that's just me. If you stay even as little as 50... 100 yards away, you should be fine. Just give it a wide berth when you're calibrating your compass.

I might be able to help some. Two weeks ago I was where you are now and after doing lots of reading I went with the Vision + ( and I own a GoPro) because all the functionality that I wanted would be there when I opened the box. I have never used any type of RC before today.

So I ordered the Vision + and a set of prop guards to use while I learn how to fly it. When I got the Phantom I opened the box and following the manual charged the batteries and then loaded assistant and updated the firmware, and loaded the app onto my phone. For assembly I had to install the batteries in the controller and put on the props.

Today I did my first flight and 10 mph breeze did all the things that the pilot training guide said you should learn to do and did a small video. I was surprised at how easy is was to fly even with the breeze. I had no issues at all controlling it and did a number of takeoff's and landing, did boxes, circles and moved sideways while taking the video. With the phone I could control the camera and see what would be recorded. Again it all worked as described with no issues.

The biggest issue that I had was I can sometimes see the prop guards in the video, but when I get serious about making a good video I will just take the off. So after only 1 day I am very happy.

hope this helps
Bill

Thank you everyone for replies! Gives me more a little more confidence towards a decision.

I am assured to know that I should be ok to operate within 100 yards of the tower....

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy online from? Price? Would you recommend?

I got mine from HeliDirect (http://www.helidirect.com/).
Whey have a package with 2 batteries for $1369 and another $20 for the prop guards. From what I have seen none of the dealers can discount DJI prices.
There has been some talk about a price drop in the next few days.

One additional thing is they are about an hour drive from where I live so I actually drove to the warehouse after I ordered it to pick it up and touch one prior to paying for it. Had a great talk with the guy's there and they showed good knowledge of their products and photography.

Bill

I'd strongly suggest buying from a "tier 1" DJI dealer who will give you support after you buy it, rather than from a "box shifter" like Amazon. One thing that is certain is that you WILL crash, and that's when you need the support of a good dealer.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl