Questions about formatting/ cache files

Reaction score
I was just curious if I should be formatting SD card after videos/pics are taken out and should I leave video cache off or on? I've heard many say they leave it off. Why is this? What does this do? Mean?

I was just curious if I should be formatting SD card after videos/pics are taken out
It's up to you, but simply removing the files is all you need to do.

I leave video cache off or on?
People keep it off because it tends to slow down the mobile device that's running DJI GO. If you have no need to store a low res copy of the recorded video on your mobile device, then you should keep that setting disabled.

I was just curious if I should be formatting SD card after videos/pics are taken out and should I leave video cache off or on? I've heard many say they leave it off. Why is this? What does this do? Mean?
Formatting a card erases the contents on it. Anytime you want to erase it, you can format it. There are two types common formatting: Quick and Full. In quick formatting only data tables are removed so that no program can reference your info whereas in full formatting each and every bit is formatted and thus data is not recoverable. Quick formatting is good enough for most of the time. Full formatting ensures that that storage is not fragmented though that doesn't matter much as no one usually runs the video files directly from SD card.

If you want to keep the video files on SD card, you don't need to format it but in this case at one point of time your card will be full with your videos. You can always save the videos on external media and delete the videos from card. It's your choice.

Video Cache on mobile device saves your video stream for later use. You can set a limit of 2GB for auto deletion. Cache is only good if you want to run videos of 720p nature on your mobile device. You can turn it off too so that no video cache will be retained. I'm not sure if retaining video cache will affect the performance to a great degree but yes if the processors are slow, you might notice a dent. I always keep cache on with 2GB limit on my old iPad mini 2 and I didn't see any noticeable degradation on the performance.

Reactions: meissner58
It's up to you, but simply removing the files is all you need to do.

People keep it off because it tends to slow down the mobile device that's running DJI GO. If you have no need to store a low res copy of the recorded video on your mobile device, then you should keep that setting disabled.
Sounds good thank you for the help. I run it now through a galaxy tab S2. I really have no need to store copys. So that's basically what it does is stores a copy on my tablet?

Formatting a card erases the contents on it. Anytime you want to erase it, you can format it. There are two types common formatting: Quick and Full. In quick formatting only data tables are removed so that no program can reference your info whereas in full formatting each and every bit is formatted and thus data is not recoverable. Quick formatting is good enough for most of the time. Full formatting ensures that that storage is not fragmented though that doesn't matter much as no one usually runs the video files directly from SD card.

If you want to keep the video files on SD card, you don't need to format it but in this case at one point of time your card will be full with your videos. You can always save the videos on external media and delete the videos from card. It's your choice.

Video Cache on mobile device saves your video stream for later use. You can set a limit of 2GB for auto deletion. Cache is only good if you want to run videos of 720p nature on your mobile device. You can turn it off too so that no video cache will be retained. I'm not sure if retaining video cache will affect the performance to a great degree but yes if the processors are slow, you might notice a dent. I always keep cache on with 2GB limit on my old iPad mini 2 and I didn't see any noticeable degradation on the performance.
Great advise once again! I originally flew with an iPad mini 2. It recently just blacked out and can't recover anything . Less than 6 months old. Taking it in for warrenty. Kinda sad that I can't recover my florida trip from it. Can only watch the 720p mistake I made on you tube lol.
The other question I've been meaning to ask is when I did lose the iPad. I bought the S2 tablet. I downloaded Go app , went inside to my flight records to recover my flight data. I was told to hit the little cloud symbol upper right hand corner. I did so and after a few seconds watching it climb to 100 percent it then said successfully completed . I still have nothing . Just all the records from new tablet. I suppose there's no other way? I hate to lose all of that.

OK thank u!
I have one more question while on subject of video/pics..should I be shooting raw/jpeg (I believe was option) or just jpeg..not sure if I'm saying this right. If I'm confusing you let me know. I'll fire up my tablet and tell u what it was. I choose both Raw and other thing. Not sure exactly what this does just went off what many others were saying I guess.

I'm horrible at tagging the right person to I see haha! I tagged myself ..this was for you msinger

I have one more question while on subject of video/pics..should I be shooting raw/jpeg (I believe was option) or just jpeg..not sure if I'm saying this right. If I'm confusing you let me know. I'll fire up my tablet and tell u what it was. I choose both Raw and other thing. Not sure exactly what this does just went off what many others were saying I guess.
For still pictures you have options to shoot in Raw / JPEG where's for videos you have option to choose mov or MP4

You start with JPEG and later on when you have better picture processing capabilities, go for raw. JPEG gives you compressed files which has little loss of info. For videos you can pick any that is supported on your laptop.

Ok sounds great thank you. I will turn back to JPEG for now. I have my own business driving semi. I'm all over the place. I only wish I had more time and better weather to play with my bird more. I've been going back in the quick start Guide and other areas to refresh my memory on everything. Hopefully someday I'll be the one helping somebody. :cool:

For still pictures you have options to shoot in Raw / JPEG where's for videos you have option to choose mov or MP4

You start with JPEG and later on when you have better picture processing capabilities, go for raw. JPEG gives you compressed files which has little loss of info. For videos you can pick any that is supported on your laptop.
Is this a good SD card for phantom? If not I will put in my phone.

Attachments

• 1461962567429.jpg
    1461962567429.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 325
Reactions: Jarrod
It has write speed up to 90mb/s so plenty fast enough.
Raw responds better to processig afterwards, if you don't generally do this may as well stick to JPG, in fact with RAW you practically must do some basic conversion to use elsewhere.
I look on it raher like devloping your own film and quite enjoy it but can be time consuming.

It's best IMO to format the SD card in the camera (from the app) everytime you have downloaded what you want to keep.
Just deleting unwanted files works for a while but only deleting *might* leave some indexing and other hidden snippets left - these might cause unexpected behaviour like suddenly not as much capacity on the card as previously.
I usually format the card while P3 is warming up, as part of a few quick checks like manual look at sensors and ensure RTH height is adequate.

It has write speed up to 90mb/s so plenty fast enough.
Raw responds better to processig afterwards, if you don't generally do this may as well stick to JPG, in fact with RAW you practically must do some basic conversion to use elsewhere.
I look on it raher like devloping your own film and quite enjoy it but can be time consuming.

It's best IMO to format the SD card in the camera (from the app) everytime you have downloaded what you want to keep.
Just deleting unwanted files works for a while but only deleting *might* leave some indexing and other hidden snippets left - these might cause unexpected behaviour like suddenly not as much capacity on the card as previously.
I usually format the card while P3 is warming up, as part of a few quick checks like manual look at sensors and ensure RTH height is adequate.
This is great advise thank u very much. I will do this going forward. Just take what I want off SD card and format..I think someone on here said a quick format instead of full format is fine? When I put new SD card that I posted on here in P3P do I need to do anything special? Or just plug and play. Thanks ahead...

Those options of full or quick are only available when it's connected to the computer.
With every digital camera, it's best to format in the camera before use for best chance of trouble free recording.
Or at least format in camera 'periodically'.
It's not essential, and some will never do it but the SD card becomes an integral part of what is in effect a flying computer and anything we can do to help it work smoothly as possible is worthwhile.

Specs appear to be good for P3. Is it genuine?
Yes it is..I think I understand what u mean..I bought it from Walgreens..could u please help me , I'm updating firmware on everything as we speak. Can I jump from 1.5 to the latest version? I'm watching a HOW TO on you tube. Very good instructor . I did this before and it was so much easier than reading .
Going to also use new SD card right away . Charging everything right now . Almost done. I thought I was running 1.5..it's been awhile since last update. 1.06 is currently in it

Last edited:
Does it install 1.7 then 1.8 from 1.6? At any rate it's successful. Now to continue with video . Pretty easy so far ;)

Attachments

• 1462033742037.jpg
    1462033742037.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 257
You can install 1.8.80 directly on your aircraft. But the system will not work until you have 1.6 on RC too.

Update..everything is installed. I couldn't get RC to update so I went on Utube and found a guy that showed me how to update just plugging in RC to tablet. Go inside Go app and update it that way. I remember having issues with this when I purchased it. I wrote notes for next time. Here's my results ...

Also , I turned off the video cache. Not the one above it. Forgot what it said ...something about local videos

Attachments

• 1462042894377.jpg
    1462042894377.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 340

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr