Question to anyone who has lost a prop... which one was it?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I noticed something today during my flights (3 of them) and wanted to ask a question to the group.

Before I take off, I'm trying to stay religious with my pre-flight checklist and I've noticed that every time I tighten down the nuts on the props, the front left nut is always able to be tightened down some more. I think since it's a clockwise rotation it seems prone to try and work itself free. The odd thing is that the OTHER CW rotating prop never slips between flights, which I find odd. Are the front two motors taxed more for maneuvers in flight? If so, that might explain this.

I have some flanged M6 Nylon lock nuts on order, and I even have some plumbers tape I'm thinking about applying to the threads (I haven't yet, though).

I'm just curious to find out which prop came off if anyone's had it happen to them.

Thanks!

Re: Question to anyone who has lost a prop... which one was

Have you balanced your motors and props? Perhaps the problematic prop on yours has a vibration that works the prop nut loose. I check my prop nuts often and they are always tight.

Yes, I check the balance every week. And it's not always the same prop on the same arm.

Don't get me wrong, it's not super loose... it's only a slight movement on the tightening check, but it does move.

I just think it's interesting that it has always been the front left arm that's in question.

Remove all props, run dry at half throttle and put your palm on each arm and see if the vibrations are all similar.
Check the motor mount screws underneath too.
No plumber tape but use the Loctite tape below: (last post)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=620&p=3966#p3966

You check the balance every week, how???

Have you tried swapping the prop for the opposite side one? If the problem goes away, it might be a prop and motor combination out of balance. Also, if the suspect prop still gets loose on a different motor, it might be that that particular prop is out of alignment at the boss. I always remove my props between flights anyway, so I cant say I have noticed this issue. Hope this helps.

I lost one.. luckily it was a low flight so no damage to anything. Since then I have put a drop of blue thread-lock on each prop but I still give the fasteners a twist to ensure they did not come loose before every extended fligh.

Ebeez said:
I lost one.. luckily it was a low flight so no damage to anything. Since then I have put a drop of blue thread-lock on each prop but I still give the fasteners a twist to ensure they did not come loose before every extended fligh.

NO NO NO, blue liquid Loctite will eat up plastic parts.
Use the tape one as I posted above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers