Question(s) about range

Reaction score
I've been reading the antenna modification forum but the more I read it seems the less I understand. I would appreciate if anybody could clear up a few things for moi...

I understand that there basically 2 ways to increase your range. Something called fpvlr from Tony or the itelite antenna. There are 4 stages to fpvlr depending how much you want to spend and how far you want to extend. The itelite on the other hand doesn't have different stages its a 1 shot deal.

But now it appears that fpvlr also can work in conjunction with itelite? For a bunch of reasons I refuse to modify my bird side and so I decided to go with itelite. But then I started reading about boosters and linear polarized antennas from Tony that appear to work with itelite.

I almost went with stage 2 fpvlr instead of itelite but now I'm thinking I could have both? And if so how far could I extend my range? All I truly truly want is to go a mile in all directions with rock solid video feed. The itelite should do that -more or less but if I get fpvlr 2 as well maybe then it would be guaranteed -or msybe then I could go a mile with my camera resolution set at 30 frames a second instead of 15? That would be worth it...

Thanks guys

To go the distance you are talking about will require antenna mods on both the controller (RC) and the wifi extender. You will also have to make antenna mods on the antenna in the quad itself. Both for the wifi transmitter and the crafts control system antennas. Your best bet is the check out the Phantom long range videos on you tube. Some of the antenna mods can be quite elaborate. The Itelite I don't think will getn you the mile without doing antenna mods on the quad also. Be careful and don't spend a lot of money. New FAA regulations will be out the first of the year and I be long range flying will be cut out. Right now the recommendations in most countries is line of sight anyways. With maximum altitudes off 400 ft.

I don't believe that is correct. I'm getting about 2000 feet in distance or 1000 feet high and everybody appears to agree that just the itelite antenna alone triples their distance - give or take, etc etc. Somebody on the other forum sent me a video of them doing over 6000 feet just with the itelite. I will not modify my bird (too nerdy, too ugly, too difficult to transport, etc) and I don't think I need to. But my question remains can I get both itelite and stage 2 or some kind of combination of them both? And if I can what would be the benefit seems like they both do the same thing but itelite costr like 150 installed and fpvlr costs around 200 I think plus installation say 250. I think i mentioned before i went with itelite but i don't minding spending the extra 250 if it is of some benefit. Like in the video feed maybe?

Anyway thank you for your reply it helps me to think just typing all this stuff out. And I just realized that if nobody knows or cares to answer I could find out how to reach Tony from fpvlr everybody says he's really good!

Not sure if anybody is interested but I believe I have come up with an elegant solution! I just found out there's a thing called re500 which is the little box on top of the controller. That can be replaced with the re700 which lets you go farther and into that gizmo I'll get my itelite installed. I'm pretty sure that with those 2 combined I should be able to do a mile in all directions...kind of interesting really how many different options there were to choose from...

Duh! Just checked and it turns out I already have a re700 thingy... My stuff comes back this week so I guess I'll try just the itelite to start and if its not good enough then contact fpvlr...I've been wading through the antenna mod forum but its very technical and specific and each upgrade has different advantages and drawbacks... If my drone was a washing machine I could find a website that compares all the options in plain language but because its a flying machine the options are less well documented!

The best bang for the buck is the DBS panel antennae , $100. That will give you around a mile. I added 2.4 dipole bird side antennas and getting over a 1.5 miles. They are $60.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik