QUESTION: how cold is to cold to fly..??..tips and tricks..??..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
ok ok so here it is: so how cold is too cold .. if you have .. what did you learn .. flying in the snow .. tips and tricks...!!! ;-)

PLEASE...save your belittling of all pilots in this thread .. it is a question to open a discussion based on experience and experiments .. and not what is in the manual .. pilots can read .. and are smart enough to do it on their own .. without being told they should do it .. RIGHT .. and so telling them it is in the manual is not only off topic and belittling / degrading .. it is simply letting all pilots in the thread know that you think you are better or smarter than them because you can and have read the manual .. REALLY .. if you have or are smart enough to have read it or not has NOTHING to do with the conversation .. just-say-in .. BIG THANKS to all my fellow pilots for your impute...!!! ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Mauk
I've flown in 20 degree weather and the batteries lasted longer than the feeling in my fingers.
keep your batteries warm prior to putting them in the bird by leaving them in your car while you fly, or wearing a jacket with big pockets.
flight time will be reduced by a couple minutes

I have flown is sub-zero temperatures with no issues. That said, you can check your manual (everyone downloaded & read it right? ;) ) for that type of information. By checking you can see they say it is good for 32 to 104 degrees. They have been flown in Antartica and in the deserts of Arizona, both of which have temps outside of the recommended temps.

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 1.22.26 PM✨.png

Just thinking out loud here:
With myself being a Canadian in an unordinary location, of the most northernly major city in the world.
-40*C ~ +25*C would be a much better degree of acceptable limits for moi. ;-)

Your fingers got cold? Hahaha um-gee that sounds about right. So. What about the eleventh prodigious digit?
You ever heard about the brass monkey? He's missing a couple . . .

Big Thank's to @dji for the iOS SIM. Yay.
Still intact, after all these Arctic Blizzards. ;-)

RedHotPoker

What about an iPad air 2 though - how does that fair in cold temperatures? The tablet you use is part of the puzzle too.

Environmental Requirements
  • Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)
RedHotPoker

Environmental Requirements
  • Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)
RedHotPoker
I use my iPad at 30,000' whenever I fly, no problems. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
I have a blue one like the one in the pic below. It's a nice size, but after just spending 20 minutes searching the net I can see I paid way too much for it. I received it last year 2 days after crashing my quad and never did use it. Just like any others that I just saw, I will need to modify it so my tablet is on the outside with the antennas.

I found some links to a brand that has a great price compared to what I had paid. Most talk about adding a small heater that has a thermostat say they can keep it 70 degrees on a 20 degree day. The one I'm also referring to they say you can use something such as bending a coat hanger and shaping it to keep it off your hands while flying. The one I have does not stay open nor does any others I came across so you would need to do some things with it to get it where you want it.

Here is some links to one called Turnigy which as I say are not expensive. They have two as seen in the links. One is under $13 and the other is under $17. You can add a decent neck strap that is under $2.

Btw, it appears to me regardless whatever route you go with any of these type options, you will have to do some at least a little modifying. I fly down to 18f degrees and I ended up after about 15 minutes stumbling in the house in almost tears because of being frost bit in the past. I go around 12-13 minutes out the backdoor which is about what a good battery last in those temps.

Turnigy Transmitter Glove (2.4Ghz/Neckstrap Ready)

Turnigy Transmitter Muff - Black (USA Warehouse)

TURNIGY Transmitter Strap (US Warehouse)

Radio Glove2 RED.JPG

Reactions: Fplvert and m_dazel
Just thinking out loud here:
With myself being a Canadian in an unordinary location, of the most northernly major city in the world.
-40*C ~ +25*C would be a much better degree of acceptable limits for moi. ;-)

Your fingers got cold? Hahaha um-gee that sounds about right. So. What about the eleventh prodigious digit?
You ever heard about the brass monkey? He's missing a couple . . .

Big Thank's to @dji for the iOS SIM. Yay.
Still intact, after all these Arctic Blizzards. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Most Northerly?
A lot of Britain is further North than you!!!

I am in Newfoundland Canada and it does not get that cold!! Not strange to see -20 C but it does not usually get much colder! I will let all know how she handles those temps when the cold gets here. Still warm here now was 18 c today and 24 c yesterday. I am grounded now until the latest news story blows over

Yes when this sort of **** hits the news its bad for all regardless of the truth of it! The news story says the drone was spotted 18 kms from anything and a height of 4500 metres or 4.5 kms obviously that too foolsih to talk about but the average joe does not know this and beleives it. Regardless alot of people will be happy enough to tar and feather all drones for a little while now so I choose to stay grounded until the smoke clears!!

Reactions: Fplvert
I use my iPad at 30,000' whenever I fly, no problems. ;)

On K-2, we would use the Sherpa Express, only up to Base Camp Three.
Most Northerly?
A lot of Britain is further North than you!!!

Hahaha hehe hoho, yes, but Santa Claus lives in Northern Canada.
Note I said major city pal. Fishing villages and hutterite hamlets don't count. Population? We are all here, city is over 100 sq miles. Capital of Alberta. Look it up. ;-) most northern 'major' city in the world. We used to have two airports. Now I can fly downtown.
Ok, class is in.
Edmonton is located on the North Saskatchewan River, and sits at an elevation of 671 metres (2,201 ft). Edmonton is the most northerly city in North America with a metropolitan population of over one million. It is at the same latitude as Hamburg(Germany), Dublin (Ireland), Manchester (United Kingdom), and Magnitogorsk (Russia). North as it is, it is south of the geographic centre of Alberta, which is located near the Hamlet of Fort Assiniboine. The terrain in and around Edmonton is generally flat to gently rolling, with ravines and deep river valleys, such as the North Saskatchewan River valley. The Canadian Rockies are located approximately 220 km (140 mi) to the southwest.

The North Saskatchewan River originates at the Columbia Icefield in Jasper National Park and bisects the city. Before the construction of two reservoirs near the mountains, it would sometimes flood Edmonton's river valley, most notably in the North Saskatchewan River flood of 1915. It empties via the Saskatchewan River, Lake Winnipeg, and the Nelson River into Hudson Bay. It runs from the southwest to the northeast and is fed by numerous creeks throughout the city, such as Mill Creek, Whitemud Creek and Blackmud Creek; this creates numerous ravines, some of which are used for urban parkland. Edmonton is situated at the boundary between prairie to the south and boreal forest to the north, in a transitional area known as aspen parkland. However, the aspen woods and forests in and around Edmonton have long since been reduced by farming and other human activities, such as oil and natural gas exploration.

And you were saying?

RedHotPoker

I have a blue one like the one in the pic below. It's a nice size, but after just spending 20 minutes searching the net I can see I paid way too much for it. I received it last year 2 days after crashing my quad and never did use it. Just like any others that I just saw, I will need to modify it so my tablet is on the outside with the antennas.

I found some links to a brand that has a great price compared to what I had paid. Most talk about adding a small heater that has a thermostat say they can keep it 70 degrees on a 20 degree day. The one I'm also referring to they say you can use something such as bending a coat hanger and shaping it to keep it off your hands while flying. The one I have does not stay open nor does any others I came across so you would need to do some things with it to get it where you want it.

Here is some links to one called Turnigy which as I say are not expensive. They have two as seen in the links. One is under $13 and the other is under $17. You can add a decent neck strap that is under $2.

Btw, it appears to me regardless whatever route you go with any of these type options, you will have to do some at least a little modifying. I fly down to 18f degrees and I ended up after about 15 minutes stumbling in the house in almost tears because of being frost bit in the past. I go around 12-13 minutes out the backdoor which is about what a good battery last in those temps.

Turnigy Transmitter Glove (2.4Ghz/Neckstrap Ready)

Turnigy Transmitter Muff - Black (USA Warehouse)

TURNIGY Transmitter Strap (US Warehouse)

View attachment 33570
Hi Frank, I use a similar radio glove. A hand warmer under the radio works nicely.:cool:

Hot Hands Value Pack 10pk - Walmart.com

Reactions: Clampit and m_dazel

Note I said major city pal. Fishing villages and hutterite hamlets don't count. Population? We are all here, city is over 100 sq miles. Capital of Alberta. Look it up. ;-) most northern 'major' city in the world. We used to have two airports. Now I can fly downtown.
Ok, class is in.
Edmonton is located on the North Saskatchewan River, and sits at an elevation of 671 metres (2,201 ft). Edmonton is the most northerly city in North America with a metropolitan population of over one million. It is at the same latitude as Hamburg(Germany), Dublin (Ireland), Manchester (United Kingdom), and Magnitogorsk (Russia). North as it is, it is south of the geographic centre of Alberta, which is located near the Hamlet of Fort Assiniboine. The terrain in and around Edmonton is generally flat to gently rolling, with ravines and deep river valleys, such as the North Saskatchewan River valley. The Canadian Rockies are located approximately 220 km (140 mi) to the southwest.

The North Saskatchewan River originates at the Columbia Icefield in Jasper National Park and bisects the city. Before the construction of two reservoirs near the mountains, it would sometimes flood Edmonton's river valley, most notably in the North Saskatchewan River flood of 1915. It empties via the Saskatchewan River, Lake Winnipeg, and the Nelson River into Hudson Bay. It runs from the southwest to the northeast and is fed by numerous creeks throughout the city, such as Mill Creek, Whitemud Creek and Blackmud Creek; this creates numerous ravines, some of which are used for urban parkland. Edmonton is situated at the boundary between prairie to the south and boreal forest to the north, in a transitional area known as aspen parkland. However, the aspen woods and forests in and around Edmonton have long since been reduced by farming and other human activities, such as oil and natural gas exploration.

And you were saying?

RedHotPoker

But I thought he lived in Lapland - see I have been lied to since I was a kid!!!

Yes lol Glasgow is further North and has a bigger population!

Of course you get far colder weather - the Gulf Stream keeps Britain very wet and windy in the Winter - not good for flying drones. Last Winter we had 3 weeks solid gales of Force 8 or higher with sideways rain!!!

It was the same when phones first came out with cameras - they were banned everywhere - only Pedos wanted them etc etc!!!
The luddite mentality - people terrified of something new and different!
Whats funny is all I have encountered is postive response when flying my drone. I have been approached many times and all are in awe of the device and have tons of questions. Not one negative response yet but when a news story surfaces about someone flying near a plane all go nuts and rightly so but sadly its likely not to be true. Not sure why anyone would lie about it but the facts simply do not appear to be real!

Ok, class is in.

And you were saying?

RedHotPoker
C'mon man... what you posted says "Edmonton is the most northerly city in North America" and he's in the UK. You guys are about the same latitude anyways. ;)
Go Oilers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic