Question for those that have a DBS and running amps.

Reaction score
My setup is pictured below, have a DBS mod power by a 2w Sunhans on the 5.8 signal, and two 2.5w Sunhans on the 2.4 signal. And my range is pretty good I would say as so far have been out just over 4000 meters. Now here's the question. I've noticed that the signal bar for the wifi signal on the Go app drops drops very quickly. By the time I'm at lets say 1000m it's already only at two bars and by the time I'm at 2000m it's down to one bar. But I'm still getting good video image and can keep going out to 4000m with FPV video still downloading. Using Litchi it's even less bars, going down to none by the time I'm at 1000m, but still getting good FPV video out to 3000m. Which is the max I've done with Litchi so far. So it seems the combo of the DBS and amps are doing their job, but why is the signal indicator bar so very low? Has anyone else running this setup experience this also?

Attachments

• IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 437
Not knowing how your controller is wired, isn't the center out the 5.8? Are you sure of the connections to amps/ant.?

Not knowing how your controller is wired, isn't the center out the 5.8? Are you sure of the connections to amps/ant.?
Connections are correct. The external cabling was drilled and wired to align with the connections on the DBS antenna, nothing to do with the original placement of the stock antenna.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the help , that thread has mostly to do with the OP having his cable incorrect. My cable is all spot-on, and the fact that I can get out to 4000 meters and back without any issues confirms that. This seems to be more of a software issue where the signal indicator on the app is where it would be normally at that distance if running stock equipment only, at least without amps. Adding the DBS has more than doubled my range and adding amps to that close to doubled the range again. So the equipment seems to be functioning perfectly, it's just both apps don't register the Wi-Fi signal strength to match the performance that is actually achieved.

Thanks for the help , that thread has mostly to do with the OP having his cable incorrect. My cable is all spot-on, and the fact that I can get out to 4000 meters and back without any issues confirms that. This seems to be more of a software issue where the signal indicator on the app is where it would be normally at that distance if running stock equipment only, at least without amps. Adding the DBS has more than doubled my range and adding amps to that close to doubled the range again. So the equipment seems to be functioning perfectly, it's just both apps don't register the Wi-Fi signal strength to match the performance that is actually achieved.

No one else experienced this running amps? That even when range is good the Wi-Fi indicator on the app reads very low?

Have you switched channels to find a quiet one? Lowered rate to lowest? Check this cool little tool out : CsvView Introduction
Run a .csv through it and add channel data readout. You can watch as the drone switches channels through a flight.

Have you switched channels to find a quiet one? Lowered rate to lowest? Check this cool little tool out : CsvView Introduction
Run a .csv through it and add channel data readout. You can watch as the drone switches channels through a flight.
On the Standard don't think we can change Wi-Fi channels, if that's what you're referring to. Unless you're doing some kind of a software mod. Anyway, I wouldn't think changing to a different wifi channel will have a positive change to the bar count on the app's wifi indicator.

Last edited:
On the Standard don't think we can change Wi-Fi channels, if that's what you're referring to. Unless you're doing some kind of a software mod.

You sure can! I just did it on mine last night.

Magic Power 5 - Papa Tita
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You sure can! I just did it on mine last night.

Magic Power 5 - Papa Tita
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yes that's what I was referring to when I mentioned software mod. There's also an app, at least for Android that does the same thing.
I've tried the app version, but not the PC version (MagicPower) so far. As we're in the states with FAA mode (more watts) the only advantage using this is the wifi channel changing feature. For now I'm not running any software mods. With a DBS powered by three amps I'm not really seeing a big benefit to over writing the FW just for the channel change feature.

Being able whether automatically or manually change channels does have a major benefit. If interference is present on one channel the link will be less than if linked on a quiet channel, thus shorter range/bars. Using that tool I posted you can see your drone/controller change channels if interference is present.

l was having pretty much the same problem untill l got rid of the thin black inner cables an swapped for thicker braided ones. Witch ones you running?

I started using a tripod for the standard also and its keeps my signals lock much better than trying to keep it in my lap

Same ones l use. l normally don't lose any bars untill 6000' (polluted). I could let u borrow my 3w sunhans to see if that helps. I have also noticed a degree here or a degree there in direction will effect 1 bar an not the other.

Same ones l use. l normally don't lose any bars untill 6000' (polluted). I could let u borrow my 3w sunhans to see if that helps. I have also noticed a degree here or a degree there in direction will effect 1 bar an not the other.
Thanks very much for the offer, I really do appreciate that. Would you have an extra sunhans 3w you would want to sell? And if so is it a gold or silver one and which amp (5.8 or 2.4)?

Thanks very much for the offer, I really do appreciate that. Would you have an extra sunhans 3w you would want to sell? And if so is it a gold or silver one and which amp (5.8 or 2.4)?
I don't have any extras but l don't mind you trying them. My 5.8 is silver 2.4's gold

This is how l have mine setup
IMAG0082.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic