Question for the photographers regarding lens filters.

Reaction score
I bought some filters for my drone but I am not sure about the correct situations to use them.

Circular Polarizer Filter (CP): The circular polarizer filter helps enhance aerial videos by reducing the amount of light relecting off the ground, sky, or water. Removing this reflecting light allows the Phantom 3 to capture beautifully saturated colors and improves contrast.

2-Stop Neutral Density: This 2-stop neutral density (ND) filter is the middle shade used for filmging on mild days, i.e. partly cloudy or during the golden hours. This filter helps reduce highlights as well as reduces lens flare when shooting into the sun. This is the most commly used of the two ND filters.

3-Stop Neutral Density: The 3-stop ND is the darkest shade and should be used on very bright days. This filter helps prevent lens flare, and reduces any mild rolling shutter. This filter also slows the shutter speed enough to blur the propellors when they are in frame.

I am afraid I might have bought from the wrong company because some combine the ND filter with the CP filter.

I understand that you use the ND filters when it is too bright out but how do you tell when to use the CP instead of one of the two ND filters?

Are you experiencing G.A.S.? (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

If you are unfamiliar with photography, and don't how or when to use Lens Filters, why would you buy them? Please take some time to thoroughly read your Phantom manuals, then do a web search & on YouTube for Lens filter uses. There are many helpful videos that explain in great detail how to utilize your new filter/s.

Here are a couple I can share.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Are you experiencing G.A.S.? (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

If you are unfamiliar with photography, and don't how or when to use Lens Filters, why would you buy them? Seems like a waste of time and good money. Please take some time to thoroughly read your Phantom manuals, then do a web search & on YouTube for Lens filter uses. There are many helpful videos that explain in great detail how to utilize your new filter/s.

RedHotPoker

If you are unfamiliar with photography and dont know how to answer my question, why would you post then? Seems like a waste of time worrying about my money. Please take some time to think about if your post was helpful or just lecturing. There are many helpful people here that could explain to me in great detail how to utilize my new filters, rather than a youtube video that I can not ask questions of if I dont understand at first.

Not to mention i understand what the filters do, I basically just want to know in what situations you would use a CP instead of one of the ND filters.

Reactions: romi and Newly
I bought some filters for my drone but I am not sure about the correct situations to use them.

Circular Polarizer Filter (CP): The circular polarizer filter helps enhance aerial videos by reducing the amount of light relecting off the ground, sky, or water. Removing this reflecting light allows the Phantom 3 to capture beautifully saturated colors and improves contrast.

2-Stop Neutral Density: This 2-stop neutral density (ND) filter is the middle shade used for filmging on mild days, i.e. partly cloudy or during the golden hours. This filter helps reduce highlights as well as reduces lens flare when shooting into the sun. This is the most commly used of the two ND filters.

3-Stop Neutral Density: The 3-stop ND is the darkest shade and should be used on very bright days. This filter helps prevent lens flare, and reduces any mild rolling shutter. This filter also slows the shutter speed enough to blur the propellors when they are in frame.

I am afraid I might have bought from the wrong company because some combine the ND filter with the CP filter.

I understand that you use the ND filters when it is too bright out but how do you tell when to use the CP instead of one of the two ND filters?

The ND-filters doesn't reduce highlights! It only reduces the total amount of light coming in.
It does also not reduce flare. Any extra layer of glass increases the flare. Maybe a polarizer in some circumstances will reduce flare.

Sorry jay,
Didn't have my morning meds...
Thinking outloud, is a terrible way to reply to a forum thread.
Definitely Was not trying to lecture you, and I do understand your sincere desire to learn.
That's why most of us are here. I am no expert myself, and was wrong in my approach.

Hopefully others with experience will share their useful tips.
I do apologize, that was crude on my be half.

RedHotPoker

Sorry jay,
Didn't have my morning meds...
Thinking outloud, is a terrible way to reply to a forum thread.
Definitely Was not trying to lecture you, and I do understand your sincere desire to learn.
That's why most of us are here. I am no expert myself, and was wrong in my approach.

Hopefully others with experience will share their useful tips.
I do apologize, that was crude on my be half.

RedHotPoker

No problem sir, happens to the best of us.

I apologize for my snarky reply, you did make some good points about doing research first.

The ND-filters doesn't reduce highlights! It only reduces the total amount of light coming in.
It does also not reduce flare. Any extra layer of glass increases the flare. Maybe a polarizer in some circumstances will reduce flare.

I just copy/pasted the description from the website that sold them.

jay my friend,
Feeling so guilty about that 1st reply. Sent you a PM.

Yes, that was bad... Perhaps I need to take a break from the forums and have a quiet time to myself.
Not quite like standing in the corner, with gum on my nose, after having my hands strapped... But a time out, all the same.

Have yourself a great day, enjoy your Phantom. As I would.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: romi
I just copy/pasted the description from the website that sold them.
Well thats the problem with ads far to often: exaggeration.

Let me put it in another way.
If you have to much light and you cannot reduce it enough by means of the controls a ND-filter will protect you from overexposing. But it does not alter the relationships between the darks an the highlights. The dynamic range off the lightsource remains the same.
I f you suppress the highlights by means of a ND-filter the results are; nicer highlights but far to deep shadows with no definition in it anymore. A HDR can be a better solution.

The ND-filters are especially useful for video and in a much lesser extend for photography.

Which filters did you purchase, and from whom?
Polarprofilters filters are IMHO the best, for the P3

I purchased polar pro 3 pack. I have only tried the CP and it made the sky bluer however I am shooting in snowy landscape. I had to turn it way down to get rid of the zebra stripes and then the forested areas became very dark and it was hard to see the screen on the Iphone. Today I will try the ND filter. But first I will shoot with the original UV lens that came with the bird and then compare the other polar pro lenses. They are tricky to clean as well. I have lens cleaning paper and used a little windex. I don't know if thats a NO No.

I only use lens cloth and small spray of eye glass cleaner on cloth.
I would consider Windex to be, too harsh.

RedHotPoker

I've used circular polariser on SLRs and often wonder how you would use them on Phantom as they require you to rotate the filter dependent on the direction of the sun compared with the lens. Also on extremely wide lenses the polarisation effect on the sky or water for example will not cover the entire frame. They're great for water, but I tend to produce the same effect for sky using lightroom in post.

I just envisage people landing the P3 all the time trying to get the right polarisation on the frame.

The ND filters on the other hand is a good idea. In bright conditions they work well with video allowing the shutter speed to be lowered to a value which is more natural to add motion blur to moving car wheels for example. Its not just about making the contrast look good. I had bookmarked a great video demonstrating this but for the life of me cannot find it this evening, but this might explain it Why Shutter Speed Matters With DSLR Video

....... I just envisage people landing the P3 all the time trying to get the right polarisation on the frame.
Yep, I haven't figured that out either. I imagine most here don't even know you need to rotate the filter to get the right shot angle. So I've passed on them. Oh, wait! I think there is one in the Polar Pro 6-pak I bought. I'll have to try it next time I fly.

Reactions: sdharris
Forgot to add, for still photography ND filters are OK as they allow you to get slightly better results in mid day sun, but as the shutter speed can be very fast and still get good results I find them of less use i.e. its always better to shoot in the golden hour.

I find the adjustable ND filter works very well. allowing you to set the shutter speed and ISO to the level you want without over or under exposing the shot/video. They are easy to adjust which I do just before take off. I have occasionally brought it back and hovered and readjusted it. Anyway I find they are a very useful accessory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers