Question for Litchi App users

Reaction score
Howdy all, new to the forum but have been reading the General Discussions for quite some time, thank you all for lots of very useful information!
I am considering the Litchi App to extend my flying area, the question I have is how do you determine the actual starting altitude when you are planning a mission? Looks like you connect to Google Earth from say your home network, set up the mission there using the maps, then go out to your chosen flying area.
In reading it sounds like the elevation numbers in Google Earth, especially in mountainous areas, are only averages of the surrounding terrain and that the starting point could be off my tens of meters in elevation. I am confused on what starting altitude you use for starting point, or do Litchi fly the Phantom the height of the setting of waypoints, above ground level. Kind of confusing there I guess, when you start your mission with waypoint altitude settings, does it jus fly that high up from the ground level, using a possibly more accurate GPS reading from the Phantom? Hope I made sense and sorry for the long question all.

Help - Litchi <<< Manual

If this is your first time running a WP mission, I suggest to do it on flat terrain first. This way you will get the idea how it works. After a couple of missions, you can be more daring. Correct, GE isn't accurate. You must add a buffer ( say 50' or more ) to be sure. Also, account for the tallest structure in the area to make sure you will not run in to it. This is where most pilots make a mistake while setting up their mission. Litchi will fly whatever height AGL you set. Litchi will set your launch point at 0'. Then it will fly to the 1st WP at whatever height you set. So if your 1st WP is at 100', make sure there nothing taller than 100' between the launch point and your 1st WP. I fly my P3P manually the same height as the 1st WP to to make sure it doesn't run in to anything. I would suggest setting up your mission in the Mission Hub. You can use street view to get an idea what is in the area. I use a combo of street view, panoramic pics, and GE when setting up my mission.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you for the tips and the extra cautions on obstacles, makes good sense. I will definitely practice in open and flat terrain. Cheers

I make my missions at home and then modify when I get to the flying location. I usually make a quick flight using the DJI App just to check altitude. I'll then go back and modify the Litchi mission if needed. I did this a month or so ago when I was flying above a river, I wanted to get about 20ft off the water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers