Question - Flying next to Cliffs

Reaction score
Many times while hiking (and/or Geocaching) we see our GPS (in our phone and Delorme PN-60) going awry, reporting that you are somewhere where you are not.

This happens next to cliff faces, in gulleys and canyons, any time there is multipath reception where the signals bounce off walls.

I am wondering if anyone has done any testing with the phantoms.
I would think it is best not to fly in GPS mode in such locations.

However, flying x feet above the cliff face (when you launch from the top of the cliff) should be okay, but I am looking for someone who has done some good testing in this area.

I plan on flying today next to a cliff face so your early reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

PhantomRock said:
Many times while hiking (and/or Geocaching) we see our GPS (in our phone and Delorme PN-60) going awry, reporting that you are somewhere where you are not.

This happens next to cliff faces, in gulleys and canyons, any time there is multipath reception where the signals bounce off walls.

I am wondering if anyone has done any testing with the phantoms.
I would think it is best not to fly in GPS mode in such locations.

However, flying x feet above the cliff face (when you launch from the top of the cliff) should be okay, but I am looking for someone who has done some good testing in this area.

I plan on flying today next to a cliff face so your early reply would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I've flown next to the cliffs on the NJ side of the Hudson River. Didn't have a problem but for the beta test for the J-hook/compass issues on the P2... the developers are asking that we do not test or fly near rock formations/bedrock etc. for the reasons that you pointed out.

I take off in GPS mode but was flying for the most part on ATT mode there.

Thanks d4ddyo.

I flew at Perkins Peak (Bear Mountain) today.
I took off in ATT, but later flew in GPS mode on the second flight and it was okay.
I remained 100 feet above the top of the mountain, and remained ready to switch to att if necessary.

I wonder what the FAA rules are if you have a cliff and it is 300 feet above the above the valley, if that totals to 400 feet in their eyes. I actually saw a helicopter flying what I thought was less than 400 feet above the peak, so I think that height is measured from the lowest point below you, but I am not sure.

About the Hudson Cliffs, perhaps you can share what your vantage point was, and if you took off from on top or below.
I was thinking what would be a good takeoff/vantage point for Giant Stairs.

Thanks again.

PhantomRock said:
Thanks d4ddyo.

I flew at Perkins Peak (Bear Mountain) today.
I took off in ATT, but later flew in GPS mode on the second flight and it was okay.
I remained 100 feet above the top of the mountain, and remained ready to switch to att if necessary.

I wonder what the FAA rules are if you have a cliff and it is 300 feet above the above the valley, if that totals to 400 feet in their eyes. I actually saw a helicopter flying what I thought was less than 400 feet above the peak, so I think that height is measured from the lowest point below you, but I am not sure.

About the Hudson Cliffs, perhaps you can share what your vantage point was, and if you took off from on top or below.
I was thinking what would be a good takeoff/vantage point for Giant Stairs.

Thanks again.

Underneath the George Washington Bridge is Palisades Park, Fort Lee, NJ. Flew there. I go during the week to avoid crowds. I plan on going to another park just next to the bridge in fort lee from a higher vantage point and get some aerials of the bridge.

I'm glad I wasn't wearing goggles because i flew right by a helicopter too!

Thanks. As long as you don't go during one of the demonstrations of NY-NJ Trail Conference about the proposed LG tower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic