Question before I buy a P2V+

Reaction score
I currently own a P2 H3-3D and was thinking of buying a P2V+ and possibly selling my other P2. My main question is can I use the P2V+ as a true FPV out of the box using my phone? My dad is a farmer and some of his fields are almost 1 mile long and I would like to park in the road and take it up and follow him but I cant do that with my currant P2 because I don't own the FPV equipment. I thought about buying the FPV setup for my currant P2 but it would cost as much or more than the P2V+. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Detroit said:
I currently own a P2 H3-3D and was thinking of buying a P2V+ and possibly selling my other P2. My main question is can I use the P2V+ as a true FPV out of the box using my phone? My dad is a farmer and some of his fields are almost 1 mile long and I would like to park in the road and take it up and follow him but I cant do that with my currant P2 because I don't own the FPV equipment. I thought about buying the FPV setup for my currant P2 but it would cost as much or more than the P2V+. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The Vision+ is FPV capable out-of-the-box, but every Vision+ is a little different. Range varies depending on terrain, humidity, your particular Phantom, etc.. For best range you need clear LOS (line of sight). Most Phantom V+ units seem to be getting a minimum of 1500-2000'. Many go MUCH further (I hit 6100' last Saturday). You will have to try your V+ stock to determine how she is doing. Then you can upgrade things like the antenna, install the Range Extender App, etc.., until you get it out to what you want. A mile is only 5280' and, assuming you have clear LOS, that should be easily achievable.

I get almost 1 mile out the V+ with V+ booster app and modifyed antenna's on transmitter and wifi extender.
Going to do some upgrades ( antenna's ) trying to go further with the stock wattage.
Also it depends on what device you are going to use for the FPV. A lot aren't giving any live video.
Tell us what device you were intending on using for the live video ?

Dirty Bird said:
Detroit said:

The Vision+ is FPV capable out-of-the-box, but every Vision+ is a little different. Range varies depending on terrain, humidity, your particular Phantom, etc.. For best range you need clear LOS (line of sight). Most Phantom V+ units seem to be getting a minimum of 1500-2000'. Many go MUCH further (I hit 6100' last Saturday). You will have to try your V+ stock to determine how she is doing. Then you can upgrade things like the antenna, install the Range Extender App, etc.., until you get it out to what you want. A mile is only 5280' and, assuming you have clear LOS, that should be easily achievable.
Yea his fields are big, open and flat with a clear los. Out of the box like it comes with no mods or extenders maybe 1500 feet? Also is the relay of the FPV pretty good? No 5 second lag or anything crazy? I just want to be able to look at my phone and fly using that as my eyes.

Detroit said:
Yea his fields are big, open and flat with a clear los. Out of the box like it comes with no mods or extenders maybe 1500 feet? Also is the relay of the FPV pretty good? No 5 second lag or anything crazy? I just want to be able to look at my phone and fly using that as my eyes.

The FPV is real-time with no noticeable lag. As I said, every Phantom Vision+ is a little different. Some are better than others. You will have to test the one you get stock to see what you are getting, and then take steps to bring her to your ultimate goal. You may very well get it out-of-the-box, or very close. Add an FVPLR Stage 2 antenna upgrade and you would almost certainly be good to go.

Watch this video for an example of flying purely FPV. 20+ mph winds, from over 2000' distance (and 720' high...the stacks are 700'!). I contemplated landing on top of the stack, but it was so windy I was afraid she'd be blown off. My Vision+ is still stock.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5PuGz55Oo[/youtube][/quote]

Dirty Bird said:
Watch this video for an example of flying purely FPV. 20+ mph winds, from over 2000' distance (and 720' high...the stacks are 700'!). I contemplated landing on top of the stack, but it was so windy I was afraid she'd be blown off. My Vision+ is still stock.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5PuGz55Oo[/youtube]
[/quote]
What a great video!! Im going to buy on Amazon because I have a rather large gift card. Are there any good sellers on Amazon anyone can recommend?

Detroit said:
What a great video!! Im going to buy on Amazon because I have a rather large gift card. Are there any good sellers on Amazon anyone can recommend?

Thanks Detroit. I was very happy with how the Brandon Shores video turned out. :D

dirtybird,
You've always been a big help to me...so I'm not trying to throw a wrench into this..but your lucky and chancing flying the bird near power plant stacks. Where i live about 3 miles away Long island power authority, when you even drive up to the gate there are signs that you can only go so far..one time i pulled into the driveway leading to the power plants just to get off the road to make a cell phone call..and one of the goons came down and started interrogating me.....I'd love to fly this in new york near the statue of liberty..but there are so many cops around..im afraid i'd be arrested..they are very cautious now about anyone taking video or photos of bridges, power plants ect..im amazed you got away with this..i wouldn't chance it...they can shoot it down if they feel like it thinking it was a threat...just your thoughts on this....and keep up the good work

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj