Question about Waypoints in Litchi and the P3P

Reaction score
If I create a way point mission in Mission Hub, how do I utilize the new "relative to ground" mode that is in the updated Android app as of December. I plotted a mission using Mission hub that goes over a wide range of varying ground levels and I don't see where it changes my height at all at way points? Also, what happens if the ground height changes

I am using the Phantom 3 Professional drone with Firmware version 1.09.0060. I am using an nVidia Shield tablet K1 (Software Upgrade 1.2 running Android OS version 6.0.1. This is in regard to my question above. My DJI Go App version is ver. 3.1.2 and my Litchi app is.... Hmmmm... I can't find a version number, but I just updated it today. (2-4-17)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Following this post and another about this. Hope to find out too

Neon Euc

To my knowledge is only a feature of the app for now. I contacted Litchi a little while ago and they said the feature in mission hub is coming, but I think they have their hands full with the p4p right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Laurence seberini’s phantom film school 1 had a waypoint altitude calculator that works quite well in an Excel spreadsheet. Also there is a video on YouTube that shows you how to transpose info from Google Earth to Litchi for waypoint altitude determination over terrain.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The answers above were all we had until the December update to Litchi (For Android - January for IOS) Now it call all be done easily right in the app.

I found out how to do it, but I haven't tested the result yet. There are two ways to do this. The first in the easier way, but it won't be as accurate. That may not matter depending on the type of mission.
The important thing to remember is that it ONLY measures the distance AGL at each waypoint, not all along the path. If you live in an area where there are a lot of sudden rises and drops in elevation, you need LOTS of waypoints fairly close together.

Method one: Using the draw feature draw your pattern that you want to fly with your finger. Then select how far apart you want the waypoints to be. To be on the safe side, I stayed with 250 feet or less. That will give you a lot of points where the distance AGL is measured. After that, change the tool icon to the square box icon with the + sign in the lower right corner. at the bottom of the screen some options appear. Tap on "SELECT ALL" and all the waypoints become selected. Then Click on "EDIT" from that same lower menu. A Box will pop up which says, "Batch Waypoint Settings". The first item in that box is called "Altitude. It will say "relative to" and then you can select. By Default the selection is "HOME". Change that to "GROUND" and you will see all the Altitudes that you had set will be adjusted so they are relative to the ground beneath them after you click OK. Some values may be negative numbers. This is fine. It just means that the altitude at that particular point is lower than where you took off from.

Method two: This is almost the same, but make your mission in Mission Hub. The reason that method 1 is easier is that the draw feature is not available in Mission Hub. That means that you have to set a whole lot more waypoints if you want to keep flying at an accurate altitude over a long distance Then download your mission in Litchi on your tablet or phone and use the same process as method one. Once you save it, it will update on Mission Hub as well. Using this method, it is easier to create a much more detailed flight path. (At least for me)

Always make sure that you have set your altitude (before adjustments for AGL changes) high enough so you don't hit the tops of the highest trees in the area.

Last edited:
Here's another question I have for those with more experience. Let's say I have several close together waypoints, and I am going over an area with lots of sudden changes in ground height. I'm cutting it close because I want as tight a picture as possible. I also need to be moving as fast as I can. What takes prescience in Litchi? Altitude changes, or speed? For example, if I had several waypoints all 50 feet apart and at each point, I had to change altitude by 75 feet, and the speed at each point was 33mph, would it slow down so that it was possible to reach the required altitude, or keep going at that speed, even if it could not adjust quickly enough for the altitude? I am guessing that it would sacrifice speed to be sure that it was at the correct altitude by the time it reached the waypoint, but I have no experience that proves this, and it could be an expensive test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20