Question about recent purchase

Reaction score
First off I love this forum. I've been lurking for quite a while reading everything while deciding which model I wanted to go with. I ended up ordering the Phantom FC40. I know there is a forum for the FC40 but this is more of a general question.

So I got my package yesterday from a retailer I will not disclose yet. The Phantom box inside (FC40 camera was boxed separately) had it's seal broken obviously before it was shipped. There is no paperwork in the box at all (i.e. manual, instructions, warranty card, etc.). The retailer says they did not open it and everything is in the box.

My question is for anyone who has bought one of these new, is there any paperwork that comes with these new? I am new to the RC world but I have never bought any other electronic product that didn't have paperwork of some form in the box. I'm leaning towards this was a returned or used unit.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have on this. If I'm over thinking this and need to just put it together and move on please let me know.

There is VERY VERY little paperwork in the DJI stuff (i have a P 1.1.1 so i cant say about the FC40). And to be real honest the half page thing they put in my box was of no real help other than to direct me to their website. Just go to their website and get the manual. Easy as can be. DJI is kind of known for this stuff so its not a surprise. By the way welcome to the site and i hope you enjoy your new hobby. Its a fun one!

Hey, thanks a lot. It just seemed odd to me and I wanted to make sure before I got into someone about it. Thanks again!

texan0322 said:
Hey, thanks a lot. It just seemed odd to me and I wanted to make sure before I got into someone about it. Thanks again!

I would really ask this in the FC40 forum, those guys would know for sure. (Let me know if you'd like me to move this thread there).

Also, try searching Youtube for an FC40 unboxing video, those always seemed frivolous to me but they do come in quite handy sometimes, especially situations like this one.

Whether there is paperwork depends on the product. My Phantom 1 came with almost no documentation. You had to know to go online and download it. My P2V+ came with a boatload of papers. Manual, training guide, supplement, addendums, rewards q-code....it all was in its own little box, and I WISHED there was just a note to go download it all, because it's no doubt obsoleted by newer docs from firmware updates.

Some dealers will open boxes to check stuff for people, replace parts, add their own extras to make shipping easier, etc...If I got an opened box, I'd be very suspicious. I'd make sure none of the sealed component packages are opened, TX batteries are still shrink-wrapped, no obvious signs of wear/tear...if anything looked off, I'd demand a replacement. If it seems kosher, I'd keep it.

Per EL Guano's suggestion above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kS4g8nQatM

As long as the main components are there, I wouldn't worry. You will be referencing several websites for specific information anyways.

I just bought one and when I received it the box had been opened. Inside, the charger box, camera box, props, and other extras were still factory sealed as far as I could tell. After watching a few online unpacking videos I decided that the only thing missing was the business cards. We thought the screws and the prop nuts were missing but the screws were in a non-clear packet that looked like a desiccant packet and the props turned out to be the new self tightening one.

I was amazed there was no quick start or assembly instruction or packing list.
I was considering sending it back until we watched a few videos.
The only thing that had documentation was the camera and it was fairly useless.

anyway, today was the first day of use and it was a blast...

The saying is, what you see is what you get. I also first got the FC40, they 2 boxes are not together and are in separate boxes. There is very little documentation in the boxes but they do direct you to http://www.dji.com where you can go the the FC40 and download the manuals and software you might want or need. Also watch all the videos you can find, including the unboxing vid. WARNING I HAVE JUST LEARNED ABOUT VRS PROP GUARDS COULD BE AN ISSUE I would get a set of prop guards since the protect your props from tilt over when landing or taking off. It happens a lot so the guards help a lot. Also I recommend you fly close to yourself until you get real comfortable with both the controls and how long the battery lasts. Almost all crashes are caused by those two things. Flying into a tree as someone gets a little flustered and goes the wrong direction. I recommend if you do fly near trees, learn how to get elevation quickly, for me it is easier to fly over the trees then try and fly between them. Then the second reason most crashes, or it could be the first, is the battery goes low while flying and you can't make it back in time. But because you are trying to get back you do not land softly when you cannot see where it is landing. So, there is 2 cents worth.. enjoy and see ya over in the FC40 forum

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj