Question about long range antenna mods

Reaction score
I know about the Ielite and DBS mods, but my question is. Is there a mod that lets you swap out the antennas for removable higher gain antennas but keep the form factor of stock (if that makes sense?)

I know it will still require modification to the transmitter but I'm trying to get a little more range but non directional range if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Windsurfers would be a perfect place to start. Cheap. A bit more directional. I have the FPLVR antennas which seem to work a bit better than the Windsurfer (through trees) but really not all that much. I have not found directionality to be an issue with them.

Another way to go is a separate RC - they're pretty inexpensive on the open market, give you a backup and let you mod your other RC with more confidence that you won't be grounded.

Agree with WetDog, the windsurfers work really well, in ideal conditions I reached almost 4 miles with them. I have the FPVLR setup too, but the one I have was for my POS Solo that I now got rid of. Point being though, the FPVLR setup worked amazingly well, and again as WetDog said they will be better in areas with LOS blockage. Itelite makes the DBS antenna mod, and its 209 installed. That is of course if you are like myself and enjoy voiding warranties.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
... That is of course if you are like myself and enjoy voiding warranties.
<thumbs up> :p

The answer is yes. For example, you could mod your transmitter, and put a windsurfer in place of your stock antenna. Get better range. Then, on some other flight, you could take off the windsurfer and put on a generic antenna that matches the "form factor" of your stock antenna.

Thanks guys !!! Sorry ... What I meant is .. I want to remove the stock antennas .. Have the screw on connectors where the stock antennas would go ... And then be able to screw on higher gain antennas. I don't know if I'm making sense but I'm hoping it does

3a7e81edf704a1021d91a540aecce949.jpg

Like this!!!!!

That is intersting have not seen people using these. Has anyone had luck with wifi antennas like it appears this is using on advanced/pro?

Looks like an inspire remote I think

It says it does not work on standard what if I have a PIII standard 4K it does have the same remote

Looks like an inspire remote I think

The problem is that the Phantom antennas do not unscrew. They are clipped in by plastic tags. You could remove them and replace them with a custom screw on antenna (maybe that's what the mod does) but it's not trivial.

The FPVLR set up leaves the original antennas intact but you have to pop the case and hook them back up - semi difficult (that's the hard part of the mod).

I mostly use FPVlR antennas because I find them to be the best. But I do own a itelite panel and I can tell you from some of my earlier tests with it at 2 miles you can point your controller almost 90° to your right or left and still have signal. So if you want a little extra range but don't want to aim it seems like that may be an option for you

It says it does not work on standard what if I have a PIII standard 4K it does have the same remote

The P3 4K has similar remote as P3A/P from the look of it but the internal wiring is the same as P3S; it also has 2 2.4GHz ports for FPV and 1 5.8GHz port for the controller.

This is p3pro and advanced so let's keep on topic here !

I'm leaning towards the Ielite setup. I just like the idea of keeping the form factor and weight the same (which I why I thought about removing the stock antenna and replacing with higher gain screw on type). But it seems that's not really an option

Performance aside, the FPVLR setup looks like an 8th grade science experiment. DBS looks the part of a true upgrade, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav