Question About Firmware

Reaction score
Hey guys, after having my P3S for a month and the price drop, I got the P3A today. Everythings charging up now, just trying to figure out which firmware to get. Since its brand new, Im assuming i can install whichever firmware i want.

Should I install 1.3,1.5 or go straight to 1.6. Ive heard of some problems with the newest one, but not sure if thats the majority.

1.6 is working just fine for most people. If you don't have 1.3 installed yet, then you'll need to install that before installing the latest version (or anything newer). If needed, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

Have you already checked to see which firmware version is presently installed on your new Phantom?
That would be my first step... Hehe

RedHotPoker

Have you already checked to see which firmware version is presently installed on your new Phantom?
That would be my first step... Hehe

RedHotPoker

anxiously waiting for everything to charge up, but yes, of course i will check the stock firmware. I read a few threads with everyone complaining about the new firmware and downgrading so i just wanted to see if that was a lot of people, or just the people posting.

thanks for the quick answer guys.

if that was a lot of people, or just the people posting.
The people who don't have problems don't come here to post about it :)

Reactions: happydays and Jay H
I am at 1.3.20 drone firmware and have no problems. This firmware version is still current on the DJI download website. I was at 1.4 and had some slight drift however, I believe this can be resolved by downgrading and then re-applying 1.4. Once 1.4 is reloaded perform a cold IMU calibration. You can stick your drone in the fridge for 5-10 min (while it is powered down). Pull it out, turn it on and then perform the IMU calibration on a dead level surface. Use a spirit level to find your surface.

If you go to 1.5 or higher you will not be able to downgrade below 1.5. You will essentially be on the "New System" which includes a performance downgrade (acceleration and speed) to improve battery reliability. Furthermore being part of the "New System" means that GEO fencing UNLOCK will be enforced on your drone.

If you are in a YELLOW area, your drone may not activate and fly in that zone without requesting a temporary UNLOCK authorisation from the DJI website which includes supplying your personal details and credit card info.

My RC is at 1.5 which was upgraded by the DJI GO App. I have had no issues using the RC at 1.5 with drone firmware at 1.3.20 or 1.4.

You make the informed choice. Good Luck.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

PS. It would not hurt to backup your current DJI GO App in iTunes should you be compelled to go back to an earlier version of the app in the future. (BTW, you can't backup apps in IOS 9 without a jailbreak.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Apilot101
There really is no going back anyhow. Eventually, the Phantom 4 is going to be out and it'll no doubt include all of these same firmware features. At that point, I suppose you'll have to either get over the fear of upgrading or commit to flying a Phantom 3 forever.

You make a valid point. My argument is about proper disclosure and consumer choice.

It is really going to depend whether or not other manufacturers are going to follow suite, whether or not they will be compelled to as a result of legislative requirements in certain parts of the world.

Those not happy with the direction DJI is going may be in a position to consider alternatives when the next generation products hit the market.

I am at 1.3.20 drone firmware and have no problems. This firmware version is still current on the DJI download website. I was at 1.4 and had some slight drift however, I believe this can be resolved by downgrading and then re-applying 1.4. Once 1.4 is reloaded perform a cold IMU calibration. You can stick your drone in the fridge for 5-10 min (while it is powered down). Pull it out, turn it on and then perform the IMU calibration on a dead level surface. Use a spirit level to find your surface.

If you go to 1.5 or higher you will not be able to downgrade below 1.5. You will essentially be on the "New System" which includes a performance downgrade (acceleration and speed) to improve battery reliability. Furthermore being part of the "New System" means that GEO fencing UNLOCK will be enforced on your drone.

If you are in a YELLOW area, your drone may not activate and fly in that zone without requesting a temporary UNLOCK authorisation from the DJI website which includes supplying your personal details and credit card info.

My RC is at 1.5 which was upgraded by the DJI GO App. I have had no issues using the RC at 1.5 with drone firmware at 1.3.20 or 1.4.

You make the informed choice. Good Luck.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

PS. It would not hurt to backup your current DJI GO App in iTunes should you be compelled to go back to an earlier version of the app in the future.

thank you for letting me know about the yellow area of the map. On my standard, the area was red and significantly smaller and under the new map it extends past my house and where i usually go to fly, which is the only open field within an hour of me.

Your welcome. You should see those overlaying YELLOW blobs over my region. They extend far beyond the red NFZ at least another 30km radius.

Even though I don't fly in my home region, I still want to test and calibrate in my own backyard/neighbourhood area.

1.6, I agree is working fine. I am in New Jersey and today it's 40 degrees F. I was shaky about updating my firmware but after doing so and making sure I did all my batteries as well I completed my calibrations. IMU, Compass, and Gimble. The drone is working fine and acting the same as it did when I first bought it under the 1.4 firmware. The only thing is you should make sure you check your gain and expos(& all settings)This I did find had reset and I think some were saying that the drone appeared slower. Well I am not having that problem. My DJI Phantom 3 Pro is just as fast forward/backwards as well as vertical speed. However if you have your settings set to snap to the command instantly you would think it got slower. Me being into smooth filming, found that it was moving faster with little movements because the gains and expos reset to a faster setting.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you go to 1.5 or higher you will not be able to downgrade below 1.5. You will essentially be on the "New System" which includes a performance downgrade (acceleration and speed) to improve battery reliability.

Has anyone HARD evidence to prove this? My testing to date would seem to indicate that 1.6 has NO deterioration in vertical ascent rates, descent rates or speed over ground - at least at 'normal' temperatures, although it was a limited enough test with the battery fully charged. I didn't test it out again with a partially depleted battery, though.

AFAIK, the reduction in performance is only at extreme cold conditions to save the battery shutting the aircraft down completely.

Unfortunately, the window for flying in Ireland at the moment is firmly shut due to rain and flooding. :mad::mad::mad:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik