Question about failsafe

Reaction score
Hi all. Just purchased my first phantom. P2 v3.0 with gimbal etc. Before I take it on its first flight and smash it into a tree, I have a couple of questions regarding the fail safe mode.

when failsafe is activated (through loss of signal or manually), how does the phantom return to its staring point ? if it was at say 150ft when activated, does it fly back at 150ft then descend or does it start its decent all the way back ? Hope this makes sense. Just trying to understand its behavior.

Your Phantom 'locks' on to GPS signals before launch, if you wait until you get all green. Be sure to calibrate the compass whenever you fly at a new location. Using GPS, it records the location where it lifted off.

As for how it returns and at what altitude, I'm not absolutely certain. I believe it trys to return home on the flight path that it left on.

Be sure to download the full manual at DJI's site. You will need to read it a few times until you absorb it all. (I still refer to mine now and then.

Most important of all: Welcome to the Forum!!

Edit: Dirkclod, your post wasn't there when I posted! Looking at the time, we posted about the same time! :)

shabba007 said:
Hi all. Just purchased my first phantom. P2 v3.0 with gimbal etc. Before I take it on its first flight and smash it into a tree, I have a couple of questions regarding the fail safe mode.

when failsafe is activated (through loss of signal or manually), how does the phantom return to its staring point ? if it was at say 150ft when activated, does it fly back at 150ft then descend or does it start its decent all the way back ? Hope this makes sense. Just trying to understand its behavior.
To deal with the last part, it will not follow a glideslope back to the home point. It first establishes whatever height has been configured and then maintains that height until above the home point. It then slowly decends.

dirkclod said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Your Phantom 'locks' on to GPS signals before launch, if you wait until you get all green. Be sure to calibrate the compass whenever you fly at a new location. Using GPS, it records the location where it lifted off.

As for how it returns and at what altitude, I'm not absolutely certain. I believe it trys to return home on the flight path that it left on.

Be sure to download the full manual at DJI's site. You will need to read it a few times until you absorb it all. (I still refer to mine now and then.

Most important of all: Welcome to the Forum!!

Edit: Dirkclod, your post wasn't there when I posted! Looking at the time, we posted about the same time! :)
Happens to me all the time bro as I type so slooow ;)

What slows me down is the darn spell check! I end up editing my posts multiple times. Plus, I hate to admit it, but I also make typos. Good to hear from you Bro. I thought you were mad at me since you didn't respond to my last msg. :)

If possible, it's a good idea to flip the S1 switch down to the middle position and then back up to the top position once your Phantom is back in site. That way you can manually bring your Phantom back and land it. The RTH feature will land itself, but it could descend too quickly and get into a VRS state.

PhantomFanatic said:
What slows me down is the darn spell check! I end up editing my posts multiple times. Plus, I hate to admit it, but I also make typos. Good to hear from you Bro. I thought you were mad at me since you didn't respond to my last msg. :)
I can type at 200 words per minute. Then review the spellchecks at 5WPM. 30-minutes later my 25-word paragraph is ready to post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik