Question about carrying case vs. removing props

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a transport case for taking my P3A on vacation. Some cases require taking the props off to stow the vehicle, others let you keep the props on at the expense of compactness. It seems to me that, in general, you'd want to minimize the number of times you take the props on and off to reduce wear on the threads, but I'm not sure how to quantify that problem.

So my question is: should I be considering whether prop removal is required when buying a case? If so, is it better to get a case that requires taking props off or allows you to keep them on? Thanks for the help.

Personally, I'm very paranoid about bending my props, so I always remove them before putting my Phantom in its case. If you're determined to keep them on though, then I recommend the Microraptor Pro case since it has solid supports to help prevent the foam in the top of the case from resting on the props.

Other cases either have flimsy foam supports (e.g. Go Professional) or no supports at all.

you'd want to minimize the number of times you take the props on and off to reduce wear on the threads
I don't think this will be an issue if you carefully install and remove your props.

Last edited:
Watched a video on P3 props. Said that the P3 prop has a plastic bushing (P2 is metal) that helps in breaking the prop when necessary. Without that friction the prop could spin off while breaking (slowing) . In the video he showed that this bushing wears out after 10 or so removals. I'm not sure if that is dangerous or not?

In the video he showed that this bushing wears out after 10 or so removals.
I don't know... Blade Strike said he removed is props countless times already. And, he has been flying a P3 for quite some time now.

Watched a video on P3 props. Said that the P3 prop has a plastic bushing (P2 is metal) that helps in breaking the prop when necessary. Without that friction the prop could spin off while breaking (slowing) . In the video he showed that this bushing wears out after 10 or so removals. I'm not sure if that is dangerous or not?
10 removals? I call BS, I have already installed and removed my props close to 100 times, and they still work just fine. The trick is not to be a gorilla and over tighten the props, install by hand, spin them on like the P2 then hold the motor and tighten less that 1/8 turn, it doesn't take much. You can loosen either by hand or use the wrench provided, I find it easier and faster to remove by hand. If I left the props on in my Seahorse 920 I would need to cut out some of the lid foam to keep from bending them out of shape.

I have used cases that both accommodated props on and ones that didn't.

Currently I am using a backpack and carrying without props just because they don't fit, and I love it.

I used my P2 for 7 months, several times daily with no issues with the case that accommodated props though

Nick, what backpack case do you use?

Pro-Tip, if you quote someone's post, it notifies them so it's easier to see and respond to.

I use a SOG Internal Frame Pack which cost me $44.97 from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SOG-Barrage-Internal-Frame-Pack-Coyote/36256332

Evidently they're pretty hard to find nowadays. Then I bought $24.99 worth of foam off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007J2JJYK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

So in total I have about $70 and an hour or so of labor.

I watched this video to learn how to do it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is what mine looks like:

It fits everything. All my batteries, my chargers, my FPV goggles, 3 sets of props, etc.

I have removed my props every time, 24 flights no issues. I mean they are self tightening. Hope your not wrenching them on.

I just bought a Seahorse 920FPL for my P3P. The PL means the clasps have a key. My question is regarding the snugness from the lid when closing. There seems to be some pressure from the foam lid on the top part of the body while it sits on the thin layer of foam on the bottom. Not sure if the 'squeeze' is too much or not. Anyone else have the same thought/concern?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Personally, I'm very paranoid about bending my props, so I always remove them before putting my Phantom in its case. If you're determined to keep them on though, then I recommend the Microraptor Pro case

Personally, I'm very paranoid about attaching my props, so I have only once very carefully attached them.

Thanks for the info about the Microraptor Pro case!

I use one of these...
feccc181768e9b3e07b391a55e10c2b3.jpg

..and one of these
dbf7d65c0b213f6726a9b80d815b7fbd.jpg

The $50 back-pack is fantastic for travel to location. It's light, comfortable and a bargain price. I don't have a DJI pack to check against, but I can't see that it warrants an additional $100.
The $200 aluminium case is what I bought first but it's completely impractical for location trips as carrying it for any distance is a PITA so I'll be using this for transportation of the system on longer trips. Then I'll transfer the system to the back-pack.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic