Question about AMA

Reaction score
HI, I am interested in finding out more information about AMA... interested in becoming a member not sure how it works...

You can find more info from their website:
Join AMA Today

- Just note that some RC clubs may not like you if you have a drone. I know in my area they are snooty like that.

HI, I am interested in finding out more information about AMA... interested in becoming a member not sure how it works...
You can find all the info in the link below

You can find more info from their website:
Join AMA Today

- Just note that some RC clubs may not like you if you have a drone. I know in my area they are snooty like that.
You don't have to be a member of an RC club to join.

You don't have to be a member of an RC club to join.
I never said that. I just said that some RC clubs don't like drone pilots. What would be the point of joining AMA if you're not going to visit an RC club to utilze their facility?

In order to use the facility in my area, the RC club requires AMA membership.

Sacramento Area Modelers RC Flying Site

Sacramento Area Modelers
11000 Florin Rd, Sacramento, CA 95830
Club Membership
If you have browsed the rest of the S.A.M. web site, you see that S.A.M. has a lot to offer, from training for New Pilots to
contests for the hottest of flyers. While we encourage family participation, individual and junior-only participation is more common.

Membership in the Academy of Modeling Aeronautics is a prerequisite for R/C flying at the Sacramento Area Modelers Air Park.
Member dues support a national organization dedicated to R/C modeling and competition. More importantly,
they provide liability insurance in case of mishaps at covered flying sites. Information on member benefits and a PDF-formatted
membership application can be found on A.M.A.'s website.

With personal liability coverage provided by A.M.A., new pilots are invited to join the local Sacramento Area Modelers R/C Club,
which holds a long-term lease on a flying site near Sunrise Blvd. and Jackson Highway.

If you have browsed the rest of the S.A.M. web site, you see that S.A.M. has a lot to offer, from training for New Pilots
to contests for the hottest of flyers. While we encourage family participation, individual and junior-only participation is more common.

Click on the form icon below to download our own S.A.M. membership application package.

I never said that. I just said that some RC clubs don't like drone pilots. What would be the point of joining AMA if you're not going to visit an RC club to utilze their facility?

In order to use the facility in my area, the RC club requires AMA membership.

Sacramento Area Modelers RC Flying Site

Sacramento Area Modelers
11000 Florin Rd, Sacramento, CA 95830
Club Membership
If you have browsed the rest of the S.A.M. web site, you see that S.A.M. has a lot to offer, from training for New Pilots to
contests for the hottest of flyers. While we encourage family participation, individual and junior-only participation is more common.

Membership in the Academy of Modeling Aeronautics is a prerequisite for R/C flying at the Sacramento Area Modelers Air Park.
Member dues support a national organization dedicated to R/C modeling and competition. More importantly,
they provide liability insurance in case of mishaps at covered flying sites. Information on member benefits and a PDF-formatted
membership application can be found on A.M.A.'s website.

With personal liability coverage provided by A.M.A., new pilots are invited to join the local Sacramento Area Modelers R/C Club,
which holds a long-term lease on a flying site near Sunrise Blvd. and Jackson Highway.

If you have browsed the rest of the S.A.M. web site, you see that S.A.M. has a lot to offer, from training for New Pilots
to contests for the hottest of flyers. While we encourage family participation, individual and junior-only participation is more common.

Click on the form icon below to download our own S.A.M. membership application package.
I don't disagree with what you are saying,, I belong to a couple of clubs here in San Antonio-- but even if a person did not want to join a club, the benefit of the insurance alone as well as the magazine subscription make it worthwhile, even if a P3 pilot was not accepted by a local sanctioned AMA club.

I actually found a club in my area and they are ok with multi rotor / quadcopters.i also agree with the A.M.A thing just with the coverage alone it is well worth it even if they didn't accept p3 pilots so that's kind of cool I guess. Again thanks to everyone for the help

I don't disagree with what you are saying,, I belong to a couple of clubs here in San Antonio-- but even if a person did not want to join a club, the benefit of the insurance alone as well as the magazine subscription make it worthwhile, even if a P3 pilot was not accepted by a local sanctioned AMA club.
Unfortunately, the insurance is worthless, despite their claims, if you read the fine print of exclusions and requirements for coverage to apply, I doubt anyone flying a drone has ever collected a dime from the AMA policy.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Oh ok. Understood. So at the end of the day is it good to have in your back pocket?

Oh ok. Understood. So at the end of the day is it good to have in your back pocket?
Not if you believe it will protect you from any liabilty, or replace your drone in the event of a crash. You could drive a truck through all the exclusions. It's not worth the paper it's printed on. However, if you want to fly at an AMA flying field (how boring...), it is a requirement.

Ok thanks. I think i will still join I understand the flying fields are boring but I have kids and it's like knocking out 2 birds with 1 stone. The kids get to go the park and dad gets to fly his toy...and I really want to be on the up and up with this, it's a cool hobby and I like to cover all my bases.
The information was very helpful thanks

Reactions: BigAl07
Happy to be of help. Eventually, you'll outgrow the flying fields. That's where the real adult fun begins! :cool:

The only RC field in my area (Fresno, CA), charges a yearly membership of $90/year and you have to have an AMA membership which is another $75/year......which is outrageous I think. Their website doesn't even mention drones but just heli's and fixed wing planes. I understand having the insurance part of the AMA membership but to pay $165 a year to fly at their field is a bit much for me. Crossing my fingers that my homeowners insurance covers me and I'll just fly in open fields.

Are drones looked down on by RC clubs or something?

Our local club (MASH) has always been very VERY drone friendly even before they were called drones. I find having AMA insurance is just another tool in the box that I hope I'll never need. I've been an AMA member for... well several years now.

The AMA hasn't really given the MultiRotor crowd much positive attention as of yet but my hopes are that in the future when MR operators quit doing stupid crap and drawing negative attention to all of us tensions will subside and we can all play together nicely.

Happy to be of help. Eventually, you'll outgrow the flying fields. That's where the real adult fun begins! :cool:
Yes, you can out grow the flying fields, right into the No Fly Zones that now exist because of those intent on having ''adult Phun" and not worrying about the consequences --
gonna get Phunnier.:cool::cool:

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, you can out grow the flying fields, right into the No Fly Zones that now exist because of those intent on having ''adult Phun" and not worrying about the consequences --
gonna get Phunnier.:cool::cool:
Actually, many of those flying fields are now shut down and in No Fly Zones...or now have a mandatory 400 foot height cap.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20