question about 333 exemption

Reaction score
I am sure it has been answered but in case something new has happened I'll ask again.

Tonite the wife and I were at a local festival in town and while enjoying my cavatelli , meatball and beer a drone appeared about 20 -30 foot above the crowd and tents running up and down the crowd for about 10-15 minutes.

I while walking, found a guy with a handheld gimbal and cgo-2 camera. I stopped and asked about his drone etc. (yuneek q500) etc and flyimg over crowd etc.. He said he has 333 exemption etc. I asked if he was a pilot and he said no.

On faa site they list 4 main requirements for 333 ex... #4 being pilots license , cert. etc
Have they removed the pilot requirement already?

IF he was operating as a hobby then he's legal, although flying over people is never a good idea. If he was operating commercially he must follow the instructions on his 333. No one can operate under a 333 w/o at least a sport pilot license, 333 written exemptions require him to:

"5. The UA must be operated within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the PIC at all times. This requires the PIC to be able to use human vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, as specified on the PIC’s FAA-issued airman medical certificate or
U.S. driver’s license.

15. UAS operations may not be conducted during night, (you didn't say but I assume it was daylight?)as defined in 14 CFR § 1.1. All operations must be conducted under visual meteorological conditions (VMC). Flights under special visual flight rules (SVFR) are not authorized.

22. All aircraft operated in accordance with this exemption must be identified by serial number, registered in accordance with 14 CFR part 47, and have identification (N−Number) markings in accordance with 14 CFR part 45, Subpart C. Markings must
be as large as practicable.

26. All Flight operations must be conducted at least 500 feet from all nonparticipating persons, vessels, vehicles, and structures unless:
a. Barriers or structures are present that sufficiently protect nonparticipating persons from the UA and/or debris in the event of an accident. The operator must ensure that nonparticipating persons remain under such protection. If a situation arises where nonparticipating persons leave such protection and are within 500 feet of the UA, flight operations must cease immediately in a manner ensuring the safety of nonparticipating persons; and

b. The owner/controller of any vessels, vehicles or structures has granted permission for operating closer to those objects and the PIC has made a safety assessment of the risk of operating closer to those objects and determined that it does not present an undue hazard."

If he was operating in violation of his 333 Exemption he is just asking for the FAA to suspend it.

I would have answered questions about the 'drone' in general... but when you start talking about flying over 'people' with me, near a lamp post, near a bus stop, etc.... that's when I tell you to move along and mind your own business.

I am sure it has been answered but in case something new has happened I'll ask again.

Tonite the wife and I were at a local festival in town and while enjoying my cavatelli , meatball and beer a drone appeared about 20 -30 foot above the crowd and tents running up and down the crowd for about 10-15 minutes.

I while walking, found a guy with a handheld gimbal and cgo-2 camera. I stopped and asked about his drone etc. (yuneek q500) etc and flyimg over crowd etc.. He said he has 333 exemption etc. I asked if he was a pilot and he said no.

On faa site they list 4 main requirements for 333 ex... #4 being pilots license , cert. etc
Have they removed the pilot requirement already?
Next time tell him you may have a job for him and ask for his business card or his name and phone number. Then call the local FAA Flight District Standards Office and report him.

Watch the nasty replies now....

Too many people think they can get a 333 exemption and are suddenly "legal",,,of course they aren't if they are using a non-pilot to fly the drone (and follow the rules outlined above)

What they dont' realize is now they have told the FAA they know the rules, and they FAA has sent them a letter telling them they must have a licensed pilot flying the drone,,,,so guess what, the fine for them flying will be much, much worse than someone that never applied for a 333.

If someone isn't going to follow the rules, getting a 333 is probable a big mistake,,now you are on the FAA radar. (i am a private pilot)

Too many people think they can get a 333 exemption and are suddenly "legal",,,of course they aren't if they are using a non-pilot to fly the drone (and follow the rules outlined above)

What they dont' realize is now they have told the FAA they know the rules, and they FAA has sent them a letter telling them they must have a licensed pilot flying the drone,,,,so guess what, the fine for them flying will be much, much worse than someone that never applied for a 333.

If someone isn't going to follow the rules, getting a 333 is probable a big mistake,,now you are on the FAA radar. (i am a private pilot)
Oh you mean they are expected to actually read that "paper" with all those words from the govmnt? They can't even read the UAVs instructions...

Reactions: Andy Collins
Was he operating commercially?

yes, He stated he was hired to film the festival.

The area is a downtown street with 5 to 10 story buildings on each side. I consider myself a decent pilot and trust my quad but not that much!
When I saw how low and close he was I was rather pissed about the risk he put a thousand folks under 20 feet him. not to mention bad publicity if someone threw a hat or stone at it etc that low over the crowd

I would have answered questions about the 'drone' in general... but when you start talking about flying over 'people' with me, near a lamp post, near a bus stop, etc.... that's when I tell you to move along and mind your own business.

I get your point... to a degree

When you endanger hundreds of folks by flying at night in between 5 story buildings 15 to 50 feet over many , many hundreds of families at a festival I will call the operator out!

It would take but 1 idiot in crowd to toss something up and interfere with a prop and all goes to hec quick.....

yes, He stated he was hired to film the festival.

The area is a downtown street with 5 to 10 story buildings on each side. I consider myself a decent pilot and trust my quad but not that much!
When I saw how low and close he was I was rather pissed about the risk he put a thousand folks under 20 feet him. not to mention bad publicity if someone threw a hat or stone at it etc that low over the crowd
Too bad. I would have told him I may have a job for him and tried to get his business card; then report him to the FAA. Commercial flying under 333 has very specific rules, yes I said rules not guidelines. Reckless operators like this guy have no business with a 333 Exemption.

Too bad. I would have told him I may have a job for him and tried to get his business card; then report him to the FAA. Commercial flying under 333 has very specific rules, yes I said rules not guidelines. Reckless operators like this guy have no business with a 333 Exemption.

no need to do that, very public about advertising, yet I do not find the name on faa 333 expt list, current or pending.

even if one has 333 isn't it still required to have a private ga pilot ticket to make it valid for commercial work.
If not, I'll sign up tomorrow!

Recipients of 333 exemption must have at least a sport pilot license, the exemption is very clear about that, no pilot license no 333 commercial privileges.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie