Question about 2.4Ghz amps

Reaction score
Now since P3S and 4K used a 5.8Ghz and 2 2.4Ghz, installing 3 amps on the remote is practically weightlifting and you will soon get a cramp after the 3rd battery (I'm not into tripod yet). So I have been looking at the market and I found this:
5W double port 2.4Ghz amp.
KexTechWifiSignalBooster5W24GHz80211BGNKXB5WSilver_1.jpg

I searched for any thread about this but didn't find one.
I think this is a very good amp for pro/adv as well. It only needs 1 DC input instead of 2 if you use 2 Sunhans 2.4Ghz. I just need to make this detachable and can use them for Standard/4K or Pro/Adv in case I upgrade. What do you guys think? Its $105 at my local e-commerce (and I don't have to pay import duty) I just need to find a good panel to hold it and the lipo/li-ion battery.

This is just a hunch, but I think 1 is for telemetry, the other is for video, not sure which one is for the tablet. Anyway, I also thinking of upgrade to pro/adv then I dont have to buy another 2.4Ghz. You can basically use the double port. Have you tried boosting 1 port 2.4Ghz?

I don't believe one 2.4 transceiver in the RC is different from the other. I believe the two transceivers switch just as the two transceivers in the aircraft switch.

There may be a slight advantage to amping both 2.4 transceivers, but it is likely to be very minimal due to the switching.

That's why the conventional method of amping your RC is to use one 5.8 amp and one 2.4 amp. It doesn't matter which 2.4 transceiver you choose to amp since the switching will favor the stronger signal automatically.

To power these two amps, you'd use one battery with two leads.

The Sunhans is a proven amp. People have tried other amps, but none compare to the Sunhans.

Reactions: jeganx
I don't believe one 2.4 transceiver in the RC is different from the other. I believe the two transceivers switch just as the two transceivers in the aircraft switch.

There may be a slight advantage to amping both 2.4 transceivers, but it is likely to be very minimal due to the switching.

That's why the conventional method of amping your RC is to use one 5.8 amp and one 2.4 amp. It doesn't matter which 2.4 transceiver you choose to amp since the switching will favor the stronger signal automatically.

To power these two amps, you'd use one battery with two leads.

The Sunhans is a proven amp. People have tried other amps, but none compare to the Sunhans.
Thanks for the input Mark. I got myself 5.8Ghz Sunhans and definitely not disappointed. However, its hard to find a 2.4Ghz Sunhans at the local e-commerce and I'm really just want to avoid paying import duty. But definitely won't sacrifice quality just because of it. I'm just not sure if I should get 1 or 2, 2.4Ghz amps. If anyone could give a clearer picture why there are 2 port 2.4Ghz in Standard and 4K, it will be easier to decide what we actually sacrificing. Otherwise I couldn't think why DJI made 2 port if its just for switching purpose.

I'm in the process of testing this two port thing.

I currently run one 5.8 and one 2.4 silver Sunhans amps. I also run the DBS antenna.

I previously ran all my flights with only one 2.4 boosted. (I can't say for sure which 2.4 it is though as I can't recal which wire I ran internally to which external hook up).
Yesterday, I moved the amp hook ups to the other port to see if I get any better performance.

I live in a highly populated area with a real poor line of sight and flew out about 8,600 feet and still had control, but lost video at about 7,500 feet.
Could be due to more homes running 2.4 wifi's instead of 5.8; or the fact I boost only one 2.4 port and that it's not the optimal one.

I'll see what my next test results. Hoping for better video signal to keep up with my control.

Based on the uploaded video from the onboard SD card my control was still pretty good.

Reactions: jeganx
I'm in the process of testing this two port thing.

I currently run one 5.8 and one 2.4 silver Sunhans amps. I also run the DBS antenna.

I previously ran all my flights with only one 2.4 boosted. (I can't say for sure which 2.4 it is though as I can't recal which wire I ran internally to which external hook up).
Yesterday, I moved the amp hook ups to the other port to see if I get any better performance.

I live in a highly populated area with a real poor line of sight and flew out about 8,600 feet and still had control, but lost video at about 7,500 feet.
Could be due to more homes running 2.4 wifi's instead of 5.8; or the fact I boost only one 2.4 port and that it's not the optimal one.

I'll see what my next test results. Hoping for better video signal to keep up with my control.

Based on the uploaded video from the onboard SD card my control was still pretty good.
Yep. That 5.8Ghz Sunhans is working great. I still have control even after losing the video and telemetry. Saw your pic about the modded remote. Almost put my 5.8 on the side of back panel just like yours but somehow it's not a good fit so I put them below the antenna mount. Let me know your test result. Really dying to get a 2.4Ghz Sunhans here...

Yep. That 5.8Ghz Sunhans is working great. I still have control even after losing the video and telemetry. Saw your pic about the modded remote. Almost put my 5.8 on the side of back panel just like yours but somehow it's not a good fit so I put them below the antenna mount. Let me know your test result. Really dying to get a 2.4Ghz Sunhans here...

Can I see a photo of how and where you mounded your amp?

I'll come back to the forum and report any significant findings by moving my boosted port over.

I'm tempted just to order another 2.4 and slap it on there. In all, I'm wishing I had better 2.4 range to keep up with with my 5.8 signal range.

Can I see a photo of how and where you mounded your amp?

I'll come back to the forum and report any significant findings by moving my boosted port over.

I'm tempted just to order another 2.4 and slap it on there. In all, I'm wishing I had better 2.4 range to keep up with with my 5.8 signal range.
20160812_092246.jpg

Did you do the 27dbm update? I thought after getting the 2.4Ghz to 27dbm I dont need to get the amps but I was wrong. Got so many interference and lost telemetry and video.
IMG-20160813-WA0000.jpg

I did not do the 27dbm mod.
I'm still trying to determine if there is any benefit for me. I'm in the US (FAA).
There is a part of the step of that mod that only insert a telnet function to your remote. That way you can check the iwinfo and it will show you how much tx-power you get in FCC mode. Not a must though.

There is a part of the step of that mod that only insert a telnet function to your remote. That way you can check the iwinfo and it will show you how much tx-power you get in FCC mode. Not a must though.

Yea, so I'm not convinced it's worth the effort or risk

Anyone here from the USA do this mod with positive results?

Yea, so I'm not convinced it's worth the effort or risk

Anyone here from the USA do this mod with positive results?
Yea, you have to be careful if you want to do it. You need to understand the complete process. Especially editing the file inside the remote using 7-bit text editor instead of the normal notepad in pc which is 8-bit editor. I believe some people brick their drone because of it.

Yea, you have to be careful if you want to do it. You need to understand the complete process. Especially editing the file inside the remote using 7-bit text editor instead of the normal notepad in pc which is 8-bit editor. I believe some people brick their drone because of it.

Yea and I'm a Mac guy so it would probably be a challenge of a different type that I am not familiar with.
I'm getting 2-3+ miles with my P3S already, I think I'll stick with that, and not risk bricking it.
Just work on my aim and tweaking antenna setups.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers