Quanum Q2D gimbal?

KMW

Reaction score
Anyone using this gimbal? It seems to have good reviews on hobbyking, and I found several videos on YouTube with people seeming to like it. Curious if anyone here has any experience with one.

We want a gimbal for doing some filming on our trip to Moab this summer, but it's a bit hard to swallow the $350-400 for the Zenmuse. Seems like this one might be decent for the money.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... hers_.html

If this is in the wrong place, please move it! I thought about putting it in the photo/video section, but I searched there and didn't really see much on gimbals.

I believe this is a rebadged Walkera G-2D.

I fitted the G-2D to my Phantom V1 as a replacement to the GLB CNC Gimbal I originally had fitted as it is significantly lighter.
With the GLB gimbal I was getting about six minutes of flight but with the Walkera/Quannum gimbal flight times are just short of eleven minutes with the standard 2200mAh battery.

It works well for a cheap gimbal. My only criticism is that it hangs quite low and touches the ground with the standard Phantom landing legs. My workaround is to tilt the camera to face downward prior to takeoff and before landing.

Regards

Nidge

Thank you! I really appreciate the info. Not looking to make award winning videos, just to smooth it out.

No problem. The G-2D was originally made to carry the iLook FPV camera so was fitted with a counterweight which fits over the tilt motor to compensate for the weight of the antenna. When using a regular GoPro 3 the weight is unscrewed to provide the perfect balance.

Regards

Nidge

Sweet! Thanks. I'm seeing the Walkera for $77, but it is a plastic version. The Quanum is aluminum, and they both show 120g for weight. I think I'd prefer the aluminum at $99.

Definitely the aluminium version. For the little amount you may save on weight I personally wouldn't feel comfortable hanging a camera a on something that might be inherently flimsy.

Regards

Nidge

Well, I just ordered a Walkera G-2D. Found a new one on ebay that's actually here in the USA rather than shipping from China. $92 to my door.

My new Walkera gimbal arrived today. Soldered a plug onto the extra power lead from the board, bolted the gimbal on. Powered it all up and got one flight in before it got dark. Worked awesome, and made an incredible difference in the appearance of the video! [emoji41]

Nidge, for the tilt, do you just plug the tilt lead into a port on the NAZA? The Chinese instructions are, shall we say, less than useful!

After much searching I found one post online where a guy plugged into the Naza for tilt, but he said it caused the gimbal to double is movement to correct itself. So if the Phantom tipped forward for flight, the gimbal would tilt up twice what it needed to, so it would end up pointing up at the blades. I think he was using a Tarot gimbal though.

Hoping someone can come on here with some knowledge on this. I'm tempted to plug it in, but I'm not sure what port on the Naza to try, and I don't want to fry anything. Seems like there has to be a way, since DJI put the tilt lever on the controller. Someone must know something!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20