Quality signal boost

Reaction score
For my own and other members benefits if like to get a conversation going with some clear info about gps and or rc signal concerns

Yes j browsed a bit so please don't fire back upset I've tried a lot of websites and searches in here. I'll keep it simple I live In a somewhat congested area where most houses are only 20 ft away but we do have parks for takeoff.. I'm getting a weak rc signal at a significantly lower reach than reported on my phantom 3 p.. I'm not in a city just a regular suburban neighborhood and I'd like to weed out the diy solutions and the commercial solutions that don't actually work...

Not looking to go crazy but i think either wifi interference or the congestion of houses may be reducing the ability to reach more than around 800 distance. I just would prefer to go overboard with signal strength for my somewhat basic use to feel more comfortable that i won't lose signal even at low distances but with a reliable product that isn't a custom mod..

Start basic and go from there. First, are you correctly orienting your antennae? They should be perpendicular to the craft, and parallel to each other. Also, remember that there's a bit of a dead spot right at the tip of the antennae, so if the craft is directly overhead you may experience weak signal or signal loss. In congested areas, altitude also helps.
Next, you can try one of the "Windsurfer" range extenders. They are the most basic of the extenders. After that, there are many, but much more expensive choices, like FPVLR ant ITElite.

Hey thanks for such a Quick response.. I have a decent knowledge w some of this but flying a plane isn't the same. I read that having the antenna set straight up like bunny ears and facing the device works best but wasn't sure if the altitude would help, I wasn't very high maybe about 200 ft. I will checkout the windsurfer but I'm not reluctant to do one of the more expensive options of its legitamite. I am simply just afraid of rigging something up that is overly custom and not reputable.

I have another career now but this is the closest I can get to flying something at all right now and land based photography is a hobby of mine..thanks again

Read the manual, watch all of the official DJI instructional videos, and fly line of sight and you will be doing just fine. I myself will probably buy a windsurfer or generic equivalent from Amazon but for now I have been able to get to 4,500 ft with no signal loss or video signal degradation without any range extender and my Signal Strength for video and contol both had full bars still. The only reason I had to come back was there was a tail wind and I needed more power to come back than to get out so i played it safe. Just read the manual

Wow I'm recalling about 1300 ft distance ..must be A lot of interference..I'm not looking to make irresponsible flights just closer to what most are getting..no power lines nearby other than standard, my humble guess is either obstacles or wifi interference....I read through the manual several times I'm really thinking there's an interference based on so many houses or just simply obstacles

Wow I'm recalling about 1300 ft distance ..must be A lot of interference..I'm not looking to make irresponsible flights just closer to what most are getting..no power lines nearby other than standard, my humble guess is either obstacles or wifi interference....I read through the manual several times I'm really thinking there's an interference based on so many houses or just simply obstacles

If you think you are having wifi interference you might first try enabling 32 channels (up from 8 currently) You could follow the guide Sploodge has posted at DJI forum, here is the link. I personally have chose not to enable 32 channels because there is speculation that some of those channels we are not allowed to use per fcc rules. If you aren't in the united states that rule might not apply though.

That could easily be possible i have an advanced router w wifi and I don't get the signal strength I am supposed to for wifi and I'm not flying more than about 5-6 blocks from where I live..do I simply download that file into the root file like an upgrade

I should mention tho that I'm not getting weak wifi signal it's the rc

You put the file on your phone to replace a file in the DJI Go app. I was thinking of getting something like this, if it works great and if not so much then it will still be worth it to have the piece that keeps the antenna parallel. I tend to hold the controller up a little so my antenna are parallel to each other and one click down so that they are also parallel to the quadcopter like this:

Antenna Angle.JPG

If you are flying directly above yourself you would want to change the antenna to this configuration:
Alternate Antenna Configuration.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31