Quality of photos on GoPro in GPS mode

Reaction score
I got my Phantom four days ago and I want to use it to photograph and film archaeological sites from above. I'm keen to start with photos as I can quickly add them to already existing pages on my website. Today I turned the GPS off briefly for the first time to fly in ATTI mode and found the way the Phantom moved about a bit scary. I need a lot more practice. But I'm keen to get started with photographs. If I shoot in time lapse mode on the GoPro will I get as good photos in GPS mode as in ATTI mode or do I really need to go to ATTI mode for the best results. I know that this is true for video but I was wondering if I can get good results with still photography in GPS mode.

Also, has anyone put up on the Internet photos taken using a GoPro on a Phantom. I've done a Google search but not come up with very much. Loads of videos, not to many photos.

I've taken quite a few but they aren't publicly viewable.

If you search Flickr or other photo-sharing sites for gopro and aerial you will find photos people have posted.

Thanks for the advice. Loads of aerial shots on Flickr. Anyone able to answer my question about whether it's better to take photos in ATTI mode rather than GPS mode?

as far as i know, the preference for ATTI over GPS is applicable mostly to video and not to still photos. videos require a more stable platform than does still photos. since the phantom makes corrections to try and stay in the same position in GPS, this makes the video footage too jerky for viable use in most cases. photo stills is just a snap shot as it was of a specific moment in time so the corrections that the phantom does should not affect the quality of usable footage to the same degree.

What auck said.

I've taken all of mine in GPS mode. I've been using the 5MP mode on my Hero 2 as it gives me the best combination of resolution and minimal fisheye.

GPS works just fine for still photos with the GoPro.

The only reason why it's less desirable for video is that when you let go of the sticks in GPS flying, it's like putting the brakes on in a car and the Phantom tilts to try to correct itself, causing a jerk in the video, whereas ATTI it just continues to smoothly coast along.

that said, IF you GoPro snaps a photo during the brief moment the GoPro is trying to correct itself (if you've been flying aggressively), there might indeed be a bit of motion blur in the image.
But only if it occurs in the very brief moment, and just like regularly photography, it's always ideal to keep the camera as steady as possible.

Thanks for the opinions. I certainly won't be flying aggressively with 1000 pounds worth of equipment at risk. Initially I'll simply be hovering over archaeological sites. I suppose if I use the time lapse feature with frequent shots that should solve the problem of some of them being taken at the precise moment a GPS correction takes place.

ianincrete said:
Thanks for the opinions. I certainly won't be flying aggressively with 1000 pounds worth of equipment at risk. Initially I'll simply be hovering over archaeological sites. I suppose if I use the time lapse feature with frequent shots that should solve the problem of some of them being taken at the precise moment a GPS correction takes place.

Yah, you'll be totally fine in GPS mode, it's a much safer way to fly.
if you have a Hero3 black, you can also shoot video in 4k mode, which will let you grab decent resolution stills from video. (provided there's not much jello).
.. rare that you hear complains about jello in stills, wonder why

Gizmo3000 said:
.. rare that you hear complains about jello in stills, wonder why
Because so few shoot them.

One of my very first flights I shot several hundred stills at a park before I had balanced my props. The jello effect was really bad even on the stills. Here is one of the few I kept. Look at the light pole left of center.

Attachments

• YoungPark2.jpg
    YoungPark2.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 753

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj