Quality issues with P4P?

Reaction score
I am about to commit to a P4P.

One thing that causes me pause is the quality issues that the Mavic Pro had on its launch.

Indeed my own MP is on its way back to Carson to have its camera repaired/replaced due to soft left side focus.

Has the P4P had a high incidence of quality issues - any comparison with the Mavic Pro in that aspect?

The same tilted horizon every DJI product has, gimbals not centering, video feed breakup, noisy cooling fans, warm spot in center of the shot. I think those are the common issues. So, yes, it's full of QC issues like all DJI products and you will be expected to work around them.

The same tilted horizon every DJI product has, gimbals not centering, video feed breakup, noisy cooling fans, warm spot in center of the shot. I think those are the common issues. So, yes, it's full of QC issues like all DJI products and you will be expected to work around them.

I hope you mean video feed to the display and not video feed to the SD card... (?)

Thanks./

Both. 4k 60FPS is full of glitches and HD feed to the app has widespread artifacting issues.

Both. 4k 60FPS is full of glitches and HD feed to the app has widespread artifacting issues.

I can deal with 30, even 24 fps for most of my shooting. As to the app that's not that important for my use if it's reasonable under 2 km range.

Tks.

The app video feed issues are not range related, they're completely random. It's mostly usable, just an annoyance.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
The quality control would not be near as painful if it wasn't for the not so wonderful customer service.

Reactions: AyeYo
I havn't had one video feed glitch since moving from Android to IOS. My Samsung Tab A was a constant problem just to get connected. Spent an entire evening just to get the firmware updated. My Samsung S was better but video would occasionally break up. Now on an iPAD 9.7 Pro with no connection issues or video break up so far out to 2 miles.

The app video feed issues are not range related, they're completely random. It's mostly usable, just an annoyance.
It is NOT mostly random. A high percentage of my feed breakup issues can be attributed to interference at or near the position of the bird at the time. I'm not saying ALL, but MOST are in this category. I know this because I have made personal visits to some of the ground locations relative to the birds location at the time of the breakups. I have found significant interference on both 2.4 and 5.8 frequencies at most of these locations. Don't believe every internet comment you read...and yes, that would include mine if you are so inclined.

Keep in mind that the 60 FPS issue mentioned earlier in the thread is not related to signal. It shows up in the actual finished product. It's like a quick blip or loss of frame type deal. It only happens when filming at 4K 60 frames per second. Someone else posted in another thread and they copied and pasted it an email from DJI acknowledging and working on a firmware to fix the 60 FPS issue.

Reactions: AyeYo
I havn't had one video feed glitch since moving from Android to IOS. My Samsung Tab A was a constant problem just to get connected. Spent an entire evening just to get the firmware updated. My Samsung S was better but video would occasionally break up. Now on an iPAD 9.7 Pro with no connection issues or video break up so far out to 2 miles.

Interesting to know. I'm leaning to the P4P+ (with the integrated display). That display is Android based but I assume that since DJI know the particular model of display intimately that it will not have any especial problems as other Android users seem to have depending on their particular kit. (I mean other non-video related Android issues that people are having as I've seen on the Mavics forums - not sure if the same applies to Phantom 4 Pro).

I have the Mavic Pro which uses a newer video link method, but I do get occasional glitches which could be for a variety of reasons such as poor LOS or interference (iOS/6plus).

Keep in mind that the 60 FPS issue mentioned earlier in the thread is not related to signal. It shows up in the actual finished product. It's like a quick blip or loss of frame type deal. It only happens when filming at 4K 60 frames per second. Someone else posted in another thread and they copied and pasted it an email from DJI acknowledging and working on a firmware to fix the 60 FPS issue.

Since the 4K / 60 fps is in the recorded product (on board) I assumed as much. Thx.

I wish DJI hadn't taken so long to address it. I've been on YouTube many times and watched 60 FPS 4K videos from the pro and have seen the issue several times from various YouTube channels. I'm sure some folks just edit that section out but sometimes you can't because it at a key location in the video.

I wish DJI hadn't taken so long to address it. I've been on YouTube many times and watched 60 FPS 4K videos from the pro and have seen the issue several times from various YouTube channels. I'm sure some folks just edit that section out but sometimes you can't because it at a key location in the video.

Bit of a crap shoot, wot! Hopefully they get to it very soon.

Reactions: slbynum
Interesting to know. I'm leaning to the P4P+ (with the integrated display). That display is Android based but I assume that since DJI know the particular model of display intimately that it will not have any especial problems as other Android users seem to have depending on their particular kit. (I mean other non-video related Android issues that people are having as I've seen on the Mavics forums - not sure if the same applies to Phantom 4 Pro).

I have the Mavic Pro which uses a newer video link method, but I do get occasional glitches which could be for a variety of reasons such as poor LOS or interference (iOS/6plus).
Curious why you are leaning toward the Plus model? It's great if your used to the small screen and you prob are since you have been flying the Mavic with a phone. Since I started with a 9in Ipad I could never go back. I set a friends P4P plus model 2 weeks ago and it was great but I could never go down to that size.

Reactions: slbynum
Curious why you are leaning toward the Plus model? It's great if your used to the small screen and you prob are since you have been flying the Mavic with a phone. Since I started with a 9in Ipad I could never go back. I set a friends P4P plus model 2 weeks ago and it was great but I could never go down to that size.

My issue is more with brightness than with the size of the display. I use an iPhone 6+.

While buying an iPad Mini is an option too, I don't think, by default, it is as bright as the P4P+ display (?)

My issue is more with brightness than with the size of the display. I use an iPhone 6+.

While buying an iPad Mini is an option too, I don't think, by default, it is as bright as the P4P+ display (?)
Understand your thinking. I never fly without my Hoodman screen so not an issue for me.

I have the 6+ that I use and size wise I can see it fine no problem there. It is a little brighter than the iPad mini 4. But I still wish the iPhone 6+ was brighter. The pro plus was never a consideration for me because of all the negative feedback on it. Of course some are perfectly happy with the plus version. Most of the time I can see my screen fairly well on my iPhone 6+ especially if I wear a big hat. It's like a built-in shade for the screen LOL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20