Quad purchase dilemma

Reaction score
I've been flying a couple $100 quads for a while and I'm ready to get a big-boy quad. My son is itchy to take full possession of 'his' toy quads. My wife doesn't want me spending a bunch of money on a "flying piece of crap." (I'll ask for forgiveness rather than permission.)

My immediate dilemma: I have an iPhone 5 and I'm not planning to upgrade until the iPhone 6s+ comes out in the fall... But... iPhone 5 is not supported by P3A.

So I have some options/decisions:
1.) Buy a P3A and upgrade my phone now. Pros: New & latest Phantom, new phone. Cons: My new phone will be obsolete in 4 months, most expensive option: P3A ($999) + iPhone 6 plus($399) = $1400.
2.) Buy a P3A and do the jailbreak as per http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-ios-app-on-older-devices.39985/#post-395143 Pros: New & latest Phantom, can wait to get latest iPhone in the fall. Cons: Not 100% sure it will work reliably. I'm on iOS 8.3 which isn't jailbreak-able just yet.
3.) Buy a P3A and an inexpensive 2013 era Nexus tablet (or similar) that I can dedicate to flying stuffs.
4.) Buy a PV2+v3 and get flying immediately with my current phone. (least expensive, but maybe not the best investment.)

I guess I'm leaning towards options 3 or 4. If option 3, what inexpensive tablets are people recommending? Should I even be considering option 4 or will I regret it? Can someone who has owned both weigh in?

2. iOS 8.3 likely will not be jailbreakble anytime soon.

3. This is your best option. Then you can still use it with your new iPhone come the fall.

Or get an iPad Mini. (Better option.) :)

As much as I love the phantom. I wouldn't buy a new phone or tablet just because of flying the quad. Perhaps look into the yuneec q500+ as another option. Screen built into the radio.

1.) Buy a P3A and upgrade my phone now. Pros: New & latest Phantom, new phone. Cons: My new phone will be obsolete in 4 months, most expensive option: P3A ($999) + iPhone 6 plus($399) = $1400.
2.) Buy a P3A and do the jailbreak as per http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-ios-app-on-older-devices.39985/#post-395143 Pros: New & latest Phantom, can wait to get latest iPhone in the fall. Cons: Not 100% sure it will work reliably. I'm on iOS 8.3 which isn't jailbreak-able just yet.
3.) Buy a P3A and an inexpensive 2013 era Nexus tablet (or similar) that I can dedicate to flying stuffs.
4.) Buy a PV2+v3 and get flying immediately with my current phone. (least expensive, but maybe not the best investment.)

I guess I'm leaning towards options 3 or 4. If option 3, what inexpensive tablets are people recommending? Should I even be considering option 4 or will I regret it? Can someone who has owned both weigh in?
Option 1&2 have you flying on a tiny phone screen.
Option 4 - If you'd compared the flying experience of both, you'd only consider the P3
Option 3 - Bingo - You can pick up the Nexus 7 cheaply and it's a great display for flying

2. iOS 8.3 likely will not be jailbreakble anytime soon.

3. This is your best option. Then you can still use it with your new iPhone come the fall.

Or get an iPad Mini. (Better option.) :)
Pangu has JB 8.3 we are just waiting for iOS 8.4 then they will release it hopefully . So I say we will have a JB couple weeks or what I'm hoping Monday if Apple lets 8.4 out to the public after the apple hosted conference Pangu will follow .

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I have too much research and reading time invested in Phantom to switch brands at this point. Listening to my wife is out of the question.

I think I'll grab a P3 in a couple weeks & make the jailbreak or Nexus decision at that time.

At least now I can stop looking for P2v3 deals & start searching for Nexus 7 deals instead.

I look forward to working with this group in the near future!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj