Q&A's Please For A Newbie To The FC40!

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I must have been good this year cos I was lucky enough to get one of these for Christmas!!!!!

A bit of background info on me and a bit of advice to new pilots in my extremely limited experience of flying quadcopters is that I started off with a second hand Hubsan X4 H107 and got to learn the basics with that. I'd advise anyone that's wanting to get one to do this cos if you can master the X4 then the FC40 is LOADS easier to fly than the X4 in GPS mode (I've tried any other mode yet!).

I've got a few questions that I'd really like answers to though please by all the pro's on this site and I'm sorry if they sound stupid or obvious! [emoji4]

The first one is this!

Am I right in thinking that it will ascend at 6 metres a second?
I've sent it up a few times really high but have still had a link up FPV to the camera so even though it's just a small dot in the sky then according to the FPV range it can't have been more than 100 metres? I timed it to 20 seconds whilst holding the left stick all the way up which would put it at 120 metres approx if the 6 metres per second thing is correct but I could still see the live footage? My transmitter beeps twice when I switch it on which according to the manual says that the range is 500 metres so in theory could I time it to approx 1 minute 20 seconds and still have control of the quadcopter to bring it back down safely?

The second is If I program & set the S2 switch to manual mode will it behave like the X4 did as I've heard that it's not recommended to select the manual setting?

The last question (for now [emoji6] !) is can I program the S2 switch to activate failsafe and is it reliable as I don't date fly it too far out at the moment incase it disappears! Ps, I always wait for a full GPS luck before I take off.

There will probably be loads more questions as I progress and get more experienced/confident in flying it!

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

Re: Q&A's Please For A Newbie To The FC40!

Hi I came the same route via Hubsan, simple advice at start do the compass calibration then leave the S1 & S2 switches in up position and when starting wait for the multi flashing green light on the FC40 before take off (in this way it has locked in a GPS home position)

Fuji-Flyer said:
Hi I came the same route via Hubsan, simple advice at start do the compass calibration then leave the S1 & S2 switches in up position and when starting wait for the multi flashing green light on the FC40 before take off (in this way it has locked in a GPS home position)
Hiya mate, I've done the compass calibration and always wait for the green flashing lights. Do you have to recalibrate when you go to another site about 10 miles away?

No need to recalibrate. However, as in manual keep it away from items with strong magnetic fields.

Fuji-Flyer said:
No need to recalibrate. However, as in manual keep it away from items with strong magnetic fields.
Cool, cheers mate [emoji4]

Ps do you know the answer to the altitude question above? I'm wanting to get some great aerial shots of the area that I live in and want to know if timing it would work for the max altitude?

Thanks again,

Ben

Two Bleeps indicates FCC hence 500 meters. I haven't done the height check but now I have a Flytrex attached I can see a profile of altitude reached. Not sure what setup you have for comms with the camera but I find my FC40 camera and GoPro which I now have only keep comms with iPad till around 100meters (line of sight). They continue to record obviously but u don't know exactly what.

Looking at Video range extension options right now but the Flytrex 2 is a nice piece of kit.

It's completely stock. What altitude have you reached and is your transmitter/receiver stock? Also are the max vertical and horizontal speeds quoted by DJI for manual mode or can this still be achieved in GPS/ATTI mode? I'll have a look at the Flytrex 2. Thanks for the advice.

Since I installed Flytrex so can record altitude I have only gone to 350ft / 106 meter above ground level but previously been higher although can't say how high. Need a wider space to fully test altitude which I don't have local at present. I do plan a short ride to larger ground where I will test. Sorry don't have the answer for the max vert / horiz speed question. However, great video results obtained with addition of a Gimbal. My TX/RX is a standard Dji model although I have just gone to the latest Lipo / Gimble wheel model (see separate post on this unit) but this doesn't give additional height / speed to the FC40.

I've checked it the Flytrex and it looks fantastic! I think that I'm going to have to save up and get one of those! Did you install it yourself? I've seen a few videos on the install and it seems that the core 2 can come out of the bottom of one of the legs? Do you overlay the data onto your videos? Do you upload them to YouTube?

Yep installed myself easy as you basically wire the Flytex between the GPS and NAZA controller plug & wiring included and yes wiring comes out one of the leg holes on to the v small unit. Now for the BAD news! as I purchased mine some cool software DASHWARE stopped allowing downloads of their exe file. They say they are working on upgraded version but some people are saying they have gone bust! Take a look at their web site, brilliant stuff so trust they will return. In the meantime I haven't looked for alternate and just load my stuff on my Flytex account. I only use Vimeo to share videos.

Fuji-Flyer said:
Yep installed myself easy as you basically wire the Flytex between the GPS and NAZA controller plug & wiring included and yes wiring comes out one of the leg holes on to the v small unit. Now for the BAD news! as I purchased mine some cool software DASHWARE stopped allowing downloads of their exe file. They say they are working on upgraded version but some people are saying they have gone bust! Take a look at their web site, brilliant stuff so trust they will return. In the meantime I haven't looked for alternate and just load my stuff on my Flytex account. I only use Vimeo to share videos.

Yeah I've seen Dashware & it looks awesome. Surely they haven't gone bust as they seem to have loads of people that use them....... I've seen loads of video's with overlays on YouTube so they must have a big customer base?

hi am another hubsan x4 to fc40 dude
the fc40 will travel faster in atti mode than gps
not sure about how fast it goes though

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic