PV2+goes bonkers

Reaction score
My PV2+ has had stability problems from the get go. I was hoping that the new firmware update might fix things. Absolutely not, if anything it's gotten worse. I've recalibrated the transmitter and controller and this thing loves to dive for no reason. In the begining I thought it might be me as a newby pilot. It's not my piloting but I haven't ruled out that somehow I might have programmed something wrong or I don't understand something about the set up.
Most of the abstract crash's occurred when it was between 10 and 20 feet up, 1 was from around 100 feet up. Most crash's had this in common. Crashed after hovering and rotating left. It crashed 3 times today at around 10 feet as I was playing it safe. Sometimes it won't respond to my input to ascend. At one point it was starting to wobble so I flipped it to atti to eliminate GPS interruptions. It was ok for a bit then wouldn't respond to anything so I flipped it to failsafe when it was about 80 feet from where I set the home compass gps setting. It was about 5 feet high and wouldn't go up even in failsafe. It did try to land, it came down once quickly, bounced, went back up to 5 feet and repeated this several time before it lifted up, wobbled and crashed on it's own. It never flew past 5 feet high which is 55 feet less that what it's programed to do in failsafe. It never attempted to return the the compass/GPS home location. Where do I go from here? It makes sounds like it's stoping and going and while it does this it gets some crazy wobbles which usually result in a crash.

You say it's been unstable from the beginning. How old it it? If it was mine, I'd be sending it back and asking for a replacement.

It was preordered, so that would make it one of the first ones released. It came around April 25th.

Clipper707 said:
You say it's been unstable from the beginning. How old it it? If it was mine, I'd be sending it back and asking for a replacement.
From what I've been hearing, DJI isn't very interested in keeping customers happy. I think they know they have a problem but would rather look the other way and pretend nothing is wrong. I'm sure there are enough complaints that a class action suit isn't far away unless they change their tune. Also insurance companies might refuse to issue insurance on their products. If they don't correct the problem then I will most likely purchase something like the Walkera TALI H500.

If it was a preorder you got it directly from them right?

They were great about fixing/replacing my gimbal, it just took a long time.

I'd talk to them about sending it in..

Have you been upgrading the firmware?

Have you checked your compass values are within acceptable limits in the NAZA assistant?

ryanhoelzer said:
If it was a preorder you got it directly from them right?

They were great about fixing/replacing my gimbal, it just took a long time.

I'd talk to them about sending it in..

Have you been upgrading the firmware?
I sent another request into DJI, they referred me to call my local DJI in Los Angeles. I started as call #14 but my total wait was only 15 or 20 minutes. The person I spoke with was helpful and seemed sincere about resolving the problem and said that I should try doing the advanced IMU calibration before sending it in. I did that tonight. Ill fly tomorrow and see if that corrected anything. Reading your positive comments about service and after the conversation I had with the local DJI rep, I now feel a lot better about DJI.

Update. Ok, heres what happened the next day. Flew for about 8 minutes or more, was flying about 15 to 20 feet alt and suddenly it dropped and would not respond to any throttle input. Descended like a plane landing, the front of landing gear touched the grass, it tipped forward, didn't even flip over, no broken legs, props or any visible damage except the camera popped out, tore the ribbon. It was sent in for repair and received at DJI on August 20th and I'm still waiting, waiting, waiting. The DJI site shows that it was finally checked into the repair desk on september 16th. Nothing has changed since then, the repair que shows it hasn't moved up the line since in the 6 days it's been on the repair desk and nearly 5 weeks since they received it.

Now I'm wondering whats going on? Did they repair it only for it to suffer the same fate and crashed it beyond repair this time? Did they run out of parts for fix it? Are there so many in for repair that it takes this long to fix them? Is there only one person in repair? Are other people having the same problems with their quads or repair of their quads?

If you think your going to get a turnaround that fast your nuts. They're people waiting longer than you are. I'm sure they dont take them out for a test fly either. In sure they're swamped with these.

Just so you know, it took them about two weeks between delivery of a faulty battery and them shipping a new one - a day or two just to get checked in, a week to determine that it's faulty (something that should have taken about 5 minutes), and another few days for them to move it from the bench to the shipping department.

That's just a battery with a very cut-and-dry investigation process. So as Mori55 says, you should get comfortable, it'll be a while :)

Bad prop? Bad motor?

Mori55 said:
If you think your going to get a turnaround that fast your nuts. They're people waiting longer than you are. I'm sure they dont take them out for a test fly either. In sure they're swamped with these.
DJI told me on the phone that turnaround was 3 to 4 weeks. Expecting them to keep their word isn't nuts. I was also told on the phone that they would have to test fly it "to see whats going on" Thanks for your post anyway.

BaldEagle said:
Bad prop? Bad motor?
Prop, no. It's happened with many different props. Always balanced as well.
As far as the motor, I wouldn't rule it out. Sometimes it will make a noise like something has a bad connection and it will wobble and tip back and forth. Other times it just acts like it's disconnected from any remote communication. One of the main reasons I bought it was to fly over water. Because of it's unstable nature I've never been able to use it for that purpose.

I'm glad this forum exists. Hopefully DJI, potential buyers and owners can make better decisions on repair, purchasing and maintaining DJI products. It's a good tool when it's working properly. IMO the biggest problem is lack of preparation on the service side of things.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj