PV won't increase prop speed for takeoff

Reaction score
Hoping someone has an idea here!

I took the Vision to do some spectacular photography today, but when I went to engage the rotors, only the two white blades began spinning and responded to thgrottle. The black blades simply sat and pulsated. Power down, restart, same problem. Of note, I had prop gaurds on earlier in the day and had taken them off, so thought maybe I had over-tightened the screws after having removed them. No difference after adjustement. I went about my morning and tried again 30 minutes later, this time, three rotors pulsated with only one remaining responsive to control. I replaced the prop-gaurds on returning home, but no change. Now all four blades are doing the pulsating thing with no resonse to throttle.

- tried a second battery
- all connections reportedly good
- no issues with camera/wireless connection

Of note - there was a crash yesterday into a tree, but the vision flew immediately after and even for another backup battery (mybe 45 minutes flight time post-crash).

Any ideas? I'm on vacation and don't have access to a computer yet for diagnostics.

When you took the prop guards off, you have put the longer screws back into the motor, those motors will need to be replaced.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Are you thinking the bolt got screwed into the copper coils and sheared them?
Definitely the timing and process both point to the bolts as the culprit, but what is the mechanism?
And of course: do you think i can repair the motors or must replace?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

They will need to be replaced, or upgraded (check out tiger motors, specifically the mn2214-11).

The screws for the prop guard are longer than the motor mounting screws, when the prop guard screw are put back in, as you guessed, they damage the copper windings for the motor.

A very good heads-up warning for anybody, like myself,
intending to use the blade protectors. THANKS.

In deciding to get them, I really consider them people protectors.

Since the transporting case does not have enough space for
the protectors to remain mounted, I would need to mount and
unmount all four of them for each flying adventure...

So, maybe they will not get used as much as I initially intended.

A better mounting design would have been to not use the
motor-mount screws for mounting the guards, and also design
the motors so that damaging penetrations were not possible.

Driffill said:
They will need to be replaced, or upgraded (check out tiger motors, specifically the mn2214-11).

The screws for the prop guard are longer than the motor mounting screws, when the prop guard screw are put back in, as you guessed, they damage the copper windings for the motor.

Let me get this correct because I just ordered a set of guards. If I decide to remove them I need to put the original PV2 motor screws back in and NOT the guard screws correct?

David

That is correct David. The guards require longer screws because of their added extra thickness. When removing the guards you must use the shorter screws to avoid damaging the internal motor parts with the screws that are too long. Those two screws you swap out are initially there to secure the motor.

PAValentine said:
That is correct David. The guards require longer screws because of their added extra thickness. When removing the guards you must use the shorter screws to avoid damaging the internal motor parts with the longer screws.

Thank you. Very good to know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31