pv with radio connection problems

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have started this topic as a specific to the radio controller and vision connection. I would be grateful if anyone has had the same issues to post here and discuss.

My Pv has had connection issues straight from the box... constantly goes into RTH mode. This happens at various heights and distances but no where near the 300m range advertised. I have lost vertical connection even at 30m, 40m,68m (RTH starts). I have updated the phantom and controller to the very latest updates and have flown in open fields even turning my phone off and flying just the phantom with range extender etc all switched off. Nothing makes any difference! I made the shop aware of this after 5 days. They told me dji were releasing an updated firmware... which I updated. Still no different so I have returned it for repair, replace or refund!

Has anyone had the same problems?

Thanks, Chris.

There are many variables that can affect the PV & controller's 5.8Ghz radio communications. For starters, is your TX set to CE or FCC mode? DJI specifies 300m in CE mode, 500m in FCC mode. You can inspect the two antennas taped to the inside legs on your PV. The tips of them have tiny short wires sticking out, they should be straight and pointed towards the ground, not bent up or curled.

Your TX antenna should generally be pointed straight towards the sky. As some use for an analogy, think of the antenna as emitting radio waves outwards in the shape of a funnel or cyclone. You want to orient the funnel so the outer rings of the "vortex" reach the PV on the horizon.

Communication will be most difficult when the PV is directly overhead; your TX radiates RF 360° sideways around your position but if your PV is directly above the RF funnel it can't see it. Tilt your controller so the tip of the antenna is pointing towards your head as you face the PV, then fly the aircraft away from you so it's no longer directly overhead. Then you should be able to achieve distance and altitude.

Assuming you've done all that, if you still have problems then perhaps there's too much TI (terrestrial interference). The greater the TI, the more extraneous RF & noise the PV's receiver must filter out in order to locate & lock onto the meager signal from the controller.

iDrone

check if the antenna is soldered correctly ... there was reports of some antenna pigtail with connector poorly soldered

286922d1384575894-phantom-vision-antenna-vision.jpg

286923d1384575911-phantom-vision-1149206rzibspiixs6bbsp.jpg

286924d1384575927-phantom-vision-114852ibqzb7iwjhv5q7mh.jpg

iDrone said:
There are many variables that can affect the PV & controller's 5.8Ghz radio communications. For starters, is your TX set to CE or FCC mode? DJI specifies 300m in CE mode, 500m in FCC mode. You can inspect the two antennas taped to the inside legs on your PV. The tips of them have tiny short wires sticking out, they should be straight and pointed towards the ground, not bent up or curled.

Your TX antenna should generally be pointed straight towards the sky. As some use for an analogy, think of the antenna as emitting radio waves outwards in the shape of a funnel or cyclone. You want to orient the funnel so the outer rings of the "vortex" reach the PV on the horizon.

Communication will be most difficult when the PV is directly overhead; your TX radiates RF 360° sideways around your position but if your PV is directly above the RF funnel it can't see it. Tilt your controller so the tip of the antenna is pointing towards your head as you face the PV, then fly the aircraft away from you so it's no longer directly overhead. Then you should be able to achieve distance and altitude.

Assuming you've done all that, if you still have problems then perhaps there's too much TI (terrestrial interference). The greater the TI, the more extraneous RF & noise the PV's receiver must filter out in order to locate & lock onto the meager signal from the controller.

iDrone

Hi idrone,

Thanks for your assistance. I have tried everything.. I have tried the antenna at various angles and not directly overhead. I have also been in the middle of a field with nothing around me and flown at different times of the day. In ce or fcc mode it makes no difference. I can only get a maximum of 170m horizontally and 100m vertically but on many occasions less than half than that before it enters rth mode. I have tried s2 in upper and mid positions (clutching at straws). Antennas are straight as they should be. Its gone back now but I just wanted to know if any others are having the same issues.

Chris

urgno said:
check if the antenna is soldered correctly ... there was reports of some antenna pigtail with connector poorly soldered

Thanks Urgno, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what may have happened to mine. I had mine pre ordered so will have had one of the first ones. Unfortunately its back in the shop and im still waiting to hear from them. But that's good information.

Many thanks, Chris

I had the same problem. At first I had great range, the more I flew the phantom the less range I was getting. I think it's in the transmitter. I sent it back for a replacement.

wildcatter said:
I had the same problem. At first I had great range, the more I flew the phantom the less range I was getting. I think it's in the transmitter. I sent it back for a replacement.

Have you had the replacement yet? If so is the new one any better?

Thanks

Hi everyone !

I had the same problem. Check my post at

Phantom vision RC antenna replacement - Broken coax cable

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4