PV+ crash 2nd time :(

Reaction score
Hi PhantomPilots forum, my phantom just crash again after install new gimbals. I did all calibration, compass dance and 8 satellites lock before lift off. It fly fine and I switch to Fail Safe mode until it arrive back to Home Point, it hover then descend. My phantom start acting very weird and crash down on the ground. I dont know what wrong, anyone here know the problem please advice me. Will DJI repair it under warranty? I attach the picture described what happen when it descend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411317338926.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411317338926.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 571
Edit: not much wind that day and while it acting weird I cant gain back control, there no response from my controller.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411317723212.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411317723212.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 613
So there is some error or malfunction inside the phantom? compass problem??

Its called pilot error I'm afraid. Never descend straight down

What firmware version you using?

angelabove said:
Edit: not much wind that day and while it acting weird I cant gain back control, there no response from my controller.
That's a bad deal Angelabove. VRS happens when the heli is descending in its own prop wash. Can happen to anyone. Best advice is to take control back before the bird starts descending (switch 1 to ATTI or GPS) and keep some lateral movement as you descend.
Some people say prop guards can contribute to VRS, coming straight down too fast is the most common cause.
Hopefully, your bird didn't get too much damage, as this is not covered by warranty. :cry:

Were you using prop guards at the time?

Well...
in fact the wind does matter... (I am not disagreeing with Geert as this is a different aspect)
A pilot should always be aware of the wind direction. VRS occurs when you are descending straight down in relation to the air mass not in relation to the earth - and it effects even full size helicopters - it's not unique to the Phantom and so it is clearly pilot responsibility. So you have to keep wind direction in mind as you descend. In general it is better to have some horizontal movement into the wind.

Don't let the following confuse you...
If there is a wind and you descend in Atti it will drift with the wind and appear to be moving horizontally - but not in relation to the airmass and therefore this motion does you no good. Interestingly if there is a reasonable wind, descending in GPS mode maintains position over the earth - but by holding position over the earth the airmass is moving the downdraft aside.

Bottom line... be aware of the wind direction and maintain some horizontal motion into the wind.

As i remember when it descend, i switch off Fail Safe to ATT mode but i can't get my phantom to move anywhere, feel like no response between receiver and phantom

Descending straight down at the max of 2m/s you can still get wobble from VRS in my experience. You can hear the motors trying to compensate. Its not to far away for it to develop into an unresponsive VRS state although it never actually happened to me. Also the few auto lands I have done way back involved bouncing and one tip over. Thats why even in RTH state I switch bach to GPS full control and 100% catch land.

Always move laterally into the wind when descending...good practice.

This explains one of my P2V+ crashes. It was at about 30m and I started to descend, not fast, but straight down. It was hit by a wind gust which started it rocking back and forth and dropping like a rock and non-responsive to the controls. (at least up down, forward back, and right left). Would rotating it pull it out of the vortex or is it that once it starts it is a goner?

Sifaka

angelabove said:
Hi PhantomPilots forum, my phantom just crash again after install new gimbals. I did all calibration, compass dance and 8 satellites lock before lift off. It fly fine and I switch to Fail Safe mode until it arrive back to Home Point, it hover then descend. My phantom start acting very weird and crash down on the ground. I dont know what wrong, anyone here know the problem please advice me. Will DJI repair it under warranty? I attach the picture described what happen when it descend.

The same thing happened to me twice. The second time caused a lot of damage. DJI said they would fix it under warranty. I think it might be a bad ESC card, compass or motor but that is just a guess right now. I had over a 100 successful missions when this happened. Do I think your crash was pilot error, NO. My Phantom started acting weird (moving around on its own) and then did a high speed 45 degree angle into the ground.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20