PV connected with iPad mini

Reaction score
Rather than iPad mini, I'm going to attempt a Nexus 7. The screen is going to be nearly the same size as the mini, but the Nexus is half the cost (even less if you get last year's model). I've also seen reviews that indicate the Nexus has a brighter screen, which should be useful in sunlight. I should know later today if the Nexus will fit in the phone holder, from pictures it seems like the phone holder might just expand enough to grip it.

My older Nexus doesn't fit the grip as it is.... Works well though for the P2V

My Ipad mini works fine too, and you can get some bits and pieces (nootle tripod mount and a small bit of diy) to get it to fit the clamp.

I find them about the same, brightness wise, but you can get sunshades for both.

iPad mini all the way for me. I created a custom setup. You can still attach the DJI smartphone grip and also any other mount that uses the standard tripod thread.
It's 'infinitely' adjustable for height and angle to reduce glare. I'm working on a sun shade that uses the apple cover as that still fits when attached to my tx.
I've also added a gopro bracket to the wifi extender which I think allows better angle ing towards height or distance type Flying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 2,387
Studiowise said:
iPad mini all the way for me. I created a custom setup. You can still attach the DJI smartphone grip and also any other mount that uses the standard tripod thread.
It's 'infinitely' adjustable for height and angle to reduce glare. I'm working on a sun shade that uses the apple cover as that still fits when attached to my tx.
I've also added a gopro bracket to the wifi extender which I think allows better angle ing towards height or distance type Flying.

That's pretty bad a$$!

the only drawback is that with wi-fi only model you will not be able to download the maps while connected to the PV
you will have to connect to iphone hotspot to cache the maps before ...

or get the 3G model that cost a lot more than the wi-fi only :roll:

Geert said:
Studiowise said:

Nice.
Looks great, thanks for attach the pic.
I will buy an iPad mini today, hopefully i also can find something to connect the iPad with the tx.

heres a screen shot of the amazon items i used and adapted :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 2,167
Does anyone know why IPad mini is listed as available but not recommended by DJI? Is because it doesn't fit directly into their clip or is there another reason?

studiowise...

I'm thinking about picking up an iPad mini WiFi only. Should I spring for the retina screen? I've never owned an iPad and I'm wondering how that block in the back of the iPad is attached to the iPad ??? :?

Studiowise said:

Excellent setup!

gunslinger said:
studiowise...

I'm thinking about picking up an iPad mini WiFi only. Should I spring for the retina screen? I've never owned an iPad and I'm wondering how that block in the back of the iPad is attached to the iPad ??? :?

hi, using the setup I've shown, the iPad (whichever size you have) is mounted into an iPad mount / holder that has a standard tripod threaded hole on the rear. I've then bought the motorcycle mount that has the same thread so it securely attaches to the iPad mount. This is much more secure than using the original DJI clamp to grip the iPad holder and should the whole thing be knocked, the iPad should just twist / spin on its axis rather than be wrenched from the grip of the clamp.

at the moment, there isn't a full iPad app so the iPad mini is viewing a x2 version of the iPhone app. retina screened iPad minis will be of no bonus for this usage although id assume this is not the only thing you'd be using one for :)

Studiowise said:
gunslinger said:
studiowise...

hi, using the setup I've shown, the iPad (whichever size you have) is mounted into an iPad mount / holder that has a standard tripod threaded hole on the rear. I've then bought the motorcycle mount that has the same thread so it securely attaches to the iPad mount. This is much more secure than using the original DJI clamp to grip the iPad holder and should the whole thing be knocked, the iPad should just twist / spin on its axis rather than be wrenched from the grip of the clamp.

at the moment, there isn't a full iPad app so the iPad mini is viewing a x2 version of the iPhone app. retina screened iPad minis will be of no bonus for this usage although id assume this is not the only thing you'd be using one for :)

Cool... Does the iPad mount/holder come with the iPad? At x2 the iPhone size, is the resolution still clear? Is it that much easier to see all the controls, metrics and such?

Thanks for all the info. Nice setup you've got there...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Cool... Does the iPad mount/holder come with the iPad? At x2 the iPhone size, is the resolution still clear? Is it that much easier to see all the controls, metrics and such?

-slinger

nope, the iPad holder is purchased separately (for part used see pic)
see attached pic for uprezzed iPhone app

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 897
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 924
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 917
Studiowise said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

nope, the iPad holder is purchased separately (for part used see pic)
see attached pic for uprezzed iPhone app

Awesome... thanks again for all the help...

-slinger

I set up my controller with the iPad mini last night using your recommended parts.....works great and I can't wait to experience the larger FPV with this setup!!!

The only negative I see is the extra weight, and the lanyard connection is not centered now for the extra weight and seems to want to fall forward when hanging from your neck....but probably will still be a huge improvement overall.

I bought an iPad mini 1 on sale and with Studiowise's help made a mount and I'm loving the bigger screen setup. @AHill, I can think of a number of reasons why DJI doesn't currently recommend the mini: a) because the current iOS app is designed for the iPhone and doesn't currently utilize the full resolution of the mini's (must use the 2X button to display fullscreen) b) because the mini might get in the way of the 5.8Ghz antenna or possibly create TX signal multipath reflections c) because the iPhone bracket clamp doesn't fit the mini.

That said, there's plenty of PV owners who use the mini without any reported problems so far. If you get the WiFi only version just launch the DJI app before you leave home (no need to connect to the PV) and go to SETTINGS / FIND MY PHANTOM VISION: the blue dot is your mini's current location, the red dot is your Phantom Vision's last known (or live) location. Zoom in/out & scroll over the area you plan to fly in both Standard & Satellite view, this will cache your map views into mini's memory. Then when you're out flying you can open the FIND MY PHANTOM VISION map and see its location in both Standard & Satellite view w/o an Internet connection.

If you ever lose your PV you can use a combination of the Radar Button on the camera screen to find which direction & distance to go + Find My Phantom to pinpoint its location.

iDrone

I tried the mini setup today....the larger screen is great....the extra weight and imbalance is a bit annoying.

Plus, I "lost connection" a few times at around 600-800 ft.....so the mini might be interfering. It was only 15degrees F today, would that have made my connection not as strong?

Sledge said:
I tried the mini setup today....the larger screen is great....the extra weight and imbalance is a bit annoying.

Plus, I "lost connection" a few times at around 600-800 ft.....so the mini might be interfering. It was only 15degrees F today, would that have made my connection not as strong?

i cant say ive noticed any detrimental effect on connectivity.
i am surprised that others are surprised that extra metal work, a larger device and its larger battery would weigh more than an iphone! :lol:

I get about the same results using the iPhone or iPad mini, so I doubt the mini is interfering. It's interesting, on this forum there are all kinds of variations in reports of Control Link range. Some get out laterally 1000-2000ft while others can barely achieve 500-900ft out-of-box w/FCC mode (more power) enabled. That's why I need to take it out where there's less "other-people's-WiFi" and see if the range improves.

As the polarization of the TX's monopole & PV's microAerials are oriented for optimum range horizontally, it's easy to lose the Control Link when the PV is directly overhead. To prevent that I usually fly the PV away from me right after takeoff, then keep the tip of the TX/Controller's monopole antenna pointed straight up. If it's directly overhead I'll tilt the controller so the tip of the antenna points towards my forehead to help maintain the link. Once it drops below 200ft I usually get solid control back again.

iDrone

I mounted the iPad Mini using the parts recommended by Studiowise, except that instead of mounting the gooseneck to the controller, I used the ball/swivel portion and mounted it directly to the iPhone holder mount removing the clamp. My only problem is that with the iPad, it is impossible to balance the controller. It weights down towards the right. Small price to pay for the iPad Mini convenience and large screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0551-1.jpg
    IMG_0551-1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • IMG_0550-1.jpg
    IMG_0550-1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 949
Here is my new setup for the iPad Mini or the Nexus 7 or any other tablet or phone. I used a Seasucker vacuum cup to attach the tablet (you can interchange tablet in the fly), and a mini ball swivel attached to the Vision clamp on the remote.

Attachments

• IMG_0556-2.jpg
    IMG_0556-2.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0559-2.jpg
    IMG_0559-2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 989
  • IMG_0558-2.jpg
    IMG_0558-2.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 904

Members online

No members online now.