Purchase Decision for Litchi: iOS or Android

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Great info obtained from this forum! Great to be part of it.

I am about to purchase Litchi for my P3A but cannot decide whether to get the Android or the iOS version.
If I go with Android, I will be using an ASUS Z580C ZenPad tablet or a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Both of these will be used exclusively for this purpose.
For iOS, I have my iPhone 6s+ running the latest OS, and it is my everyday phone.

I know there are only two features of Litchi that are not available yet for iOS, but I'm not too concerned with those. I plan to use Waypoints, Focus, and Track the most.

I know many people on this forum use this app so I wanted to hear how user experiences are between the 2 versions of the app and if people would choose one over the other in a situation like mine.

Thanks in advance!!

I use iPad and have gone for IOS Litchi.

You definitely need at least iPad to maneuver your waypoints, iPhone is too small. Alternately you can generate mission on your laptop/ Mac and save it to Litchi cloud and download it to iPhone when u need it to deploy.

Hi Everyone,
Great info obtained from this forum! Great to be part of it.

I am about to purchase Litchi for my P3A but cannot decide whether to get the Android or the iOS version.
If I go with Android, I will be using an ASUS Z580C ZenPad tablet or a Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Both of these will be used exclusively for this purpose.
For iOS, I have my iPhone 6s+ running the latest OS, and it is my everyday phone.

I know there are only two features of Litchi that are not available yet for iOS, but I'm not too concerned with those. I plan to use Waypoints, Focus, and Track the most.

I know many people on this forum use this app so I wanted to hear how user experiences are between the 2 versions of the app and if people would choose one over the other in a situation like mine.

Thanks in advance!!
I am using the android version on my galaxy S5 and Nvidia K1 tablet. Works great, mainly used for waypoint missions, for what it;s worth!

I use the IOS version on my iPad Mini 2 and it's great. I'm sure both app platforms work equally well. I'd figure out which of your devices is brighter and bigger (within reason) and make a decision based on that.

SB

Reactions: AL T
I use the IOS version on my iPad Mini 2 and it's great. I'm sure both app platforms work equally well. I'd figure out which of your devices is brighter and bigger (within reason) and make a decision based on that.

SB

new visual tracking modes is currently unusable with Note 4 and Nexus 7 (2013) - too slow to do the visual tracking... works fine in other modes.. I may switch to IOS (iphone 6/ipad mini 3) to use the tracking modes...

new visual tracking modes is currently unusable with Note 4 and Nexus 7 (2013) - too slow to do the visual tracking... works fine in other modes.. I may switch to IOS (iphone 6/ipad mini 3) to use the tracking modes...

Excellent reply!
Is it a RAM issue with being too slow for the Tracking feature?
What are the specs of your tablet?

The ios version has come a long way. I think both the dji and litchi apps behave better in ios and from what I can tell, they play better together as well. I don't find I have to be diligent about force closing when hopping between one or the other on my air2. Not so in Android, so I hear. Bottom line is I fly with my air2 because nothing beats it, so litchi ios was a no brainer even when it only had waypoints.

Great information...Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can get more replies from people who may have experienced any issues with either platform.
My ASUS tablet is 7" and my iPhone is 5" so not too much difference there.

The only issue is the ios update that just hit yesterday. I haven't flown it yet but I'm hearing there's a bug with the histogram showing and glitchy live feed. Litchi is aware and addressing.

The ios version has come a long way. I think both the dji and litchi apps behave better in ios and from what I can tell, they play better together as well. I don't find I have to be diligent about force closing when hopping between one or the other on my air2. Not so in Android, so I hear. Bottom line is I fly with my air2 because nothing beats it, so litchi ios was a no brainer even when it only had waypoints.

I have no issues in android marshmellow on shield k1 and i use both dji go and litchi the only way i could see there being an issue is if you gave default usb permissions/launch to one of the apps... you dont want to do it that way. prior to the shield k1 i was using my lenovo k3 note and it worked great for everything too just wanted bigger.... android seems completely stable and great.

I've been using Litchi daily on my iPad mini2 with great results.
I do "kill" the other app if I'm switching between apps in flight, just in case one doesn't let go right away.
I always build or modify and save my missions on a full size PC desktop before I go out. I love their cloud for that purpose. Mission Hub is really great on a 27" screen.
I have my goggles ready for when they release VR on IOS. Soon, I hope.

Also the main thing is the best processing phone or tablet you have. It's also important to keep your phantom system completely up to date because according to litchi, they test with the latest firmware and sdk versions. So if your a firmware curmudgeon, not a good fit.

Also the main thing is the best processing phone or tablet you have. It's also important to keep your phantom system completely up to date because according to litchi, they test with the latest firmware and sdk versions. So if your a firmware curmudgeon, not a good fit.
Are you saying you have to be on latest firmware, I'm on 1.4 & happy, iOS & device 6+

Are you saying you have to be on latest firmware, I'm on 1.4 & happy, iOS & device 6+
If it's working for you, fine. But litchi support recommends highly that your phantom system be up to date always because they don't test old firmware compatibility. They test on the latest firmware to confirm all is working. Anything less on the phantom system is a gamble.

Reactions: Dounin Front
I've been using Litchi daily on my iPad mini2 with great results.
I do "kill" the other app if I'm switching between apps in flight, just in case one doesn't let go right away.
I always build or modify and save my missions on a full size PC desktop before I go out. I love their cloud for that purpose. Mission Hub is really great on a 27" screen.
I have my goggles ready for when they release VR on IOS. Soon, I hope.
What processor does your iPad have?

I use iPad and have gone for IOS Litchi.

You definitely need at least iPad to maneuver your waypoints, iPhone is too small. Alternately you can generate mission on your laptop/ Mac and save it to Litchi cloud and download it to iPhone when u need it to deploy.
Which processor does your iPad have?

Thanks everyone...
So when you say "speed" do you mean the processor speed of the device chip? Both my Androids are Quad-core (1.33 and 1.60GHz) and my iPhone is Dual-core (1.8GHz).
Does the software version of the app matter at all? I have Android KitKat and Lollipop on the Androids, and iOS 9.3.1 (latest) on the iPhone.
I think I may be leaning more toward Android because I have two different devices I can try it on and I think I read that Litchi was originally developed for the Android platform.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31