Purchase advice

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I was just going through my checklists to make my purchase, of either a new p2v or p2. I had been 100% locked on the p2v, with it's better "stills" camera, but I've recently come to read about the range on the p2v being 300m and the p2 having closer to a 1k-m range. Am I correct in this? Or does the p2v have the same range just not for the video link?

I'm really not sure how else to word this. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am trying to place this order and have a merrier Christmas.

Thanks everyone!

P2V uses 5.8GHz for control, and 2.4GHz for the downlink/fpv. Most RC aircraft (inlcuding Phantom 2 and V1) use 2.4GHz for control as it has more range. To enable the P2V to use 2.4GHz (or in other words, a wifi frequency) they had to change the transmitter frequency to avoid interference from strong signals.

I can get mine out to 1000ft vertical or 1000ft horizontal without much trouble. At those distances I can't see the aircraft in daylight, never mind what orientation it's in! So 1000ft of range is fine by me, and it allows me full remote control of the camera.

If you want to fly further then it might not be for you, but the trade-off is a loss of the FPV/remote camera control/telemetry/upcoming ground station autonomous waypoint flying out of the box. You can have all this on a P2, but you'll need to buy it and install it to get similar functionality. With that, you'll be able to fly further though.

Only a choice you can make! Hope this helps...

My personal opinion is that if you are leaning more towards photo taking then I would go with the Vision. Its great being able to "frame" all of your shots with the cell phone app.

As far as range goes. I was loosing video on my phone about 800 feet out. I followed the instructions in in the Vision section about upgrading the antenna in the repeater. I was getting over 3000 feet with the TP Link antenna on a tripod next to me. I'm pretty sure I could have gone farther out and still had video and full control. You can see in the screenshot that I still had full Wifi strength. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-17-16-53-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-17-16-53-32.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 340
Thanks for taking the time to address my post. I ended up ordering the p2v as I think if I can boost my range to around 500m with a solid, reliable 400m zone I will be able to meet all of my needs.

Happy holidays, can't wait to join y'all on the field.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20