PSA: Obstacle Avoidance during RTH is off by default

Reaction score
You have to turn it on here:

Once you are connected to the craft, go into craft settings > advanced settings > enable RTH Remote Obstacle Avoidance.

So far I have tried some testing using a big tree near me and RTH. If this setting is off (which it is off by default) and I initiate an RTH even with all other VPS/obstacle settings on, the drone will not avoid the tree (I had to manually stop it). If I enable this setting, it avoids the tree during RTH. Has anyone else tested and seen similar behavior?

(By the way you should ALWAYS set RTH height higher than you plan to be flying and higher than any obstacles around you!)

IMG_0001.jpg

Reactions: smiller
I still don't know why they wouldn't put this on by default? I mean is there any disadvantage of having it on? I can't see any. If it's off it seems much more dangerous.

Reactions: Norval
I've seen a few reports of problems with OA being falsely triggered due to low sun angles when the RTH route happens to be towards the sun. That's about the only reason I can think of why RTH OA would be off by default.

Reactions: DJMedzy
Or so your drone will crash and they can charge for repair because it would obviously not be dji fault that an operator did not turn it on...

IMO RTH should be at the max legal altitude and higher than local obstacles such that OA can be turned off to avoid the "setting sun" problem. This fits where I fly, you need to determine what's best where you are.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik