Proud new Phantom 2 Vision owner!

Reaction score
My second post here! Bought my P2V after I didn't get it for Christmas. Lol. Got it from B&H Photo online. Any suggested mods? I thought about prop guards but I'm thinking they just might add unnecessary weight. Oh and WHEN IS DJI going to get off their *** and make the ground station app work?!?

I don't know, good start though, moaning already, keep up the good work, happy new year .

Re: Proud new Phantom 2 Vision owner! but lost mine

Firstly this is my first post and i have never joined any forums before

Below is a brief description of what happened to my 4 day old Phantom 2 vision.

I opened the box and followed all instructions as per the DJI 'how to' videos

I then updated the firmware as recommended by DJI

My very first flight was in a clear open field with no obstacles or any overhead obstructions, at this point I carried out the compass calibration, it was a perfect first flight with no problems

My second flight I decided to make sure the return home feature was actually working by turning off the controller, sure enough it returned home and landed almost perfectly…..very pleased!

Over the next 3 days the weather had been good enough to carry out more flights in the same open field and other locations.

On day 4 Saturday the 28th December I felt confident enough to fly along my local beach in the morning around 9:15am

The first 10 mins into the flight was perfect as I proceeded down the beach at an altitude of around 70 feet travelling very slowly. All of a sudden the Phantom seemed to be being controlled by another signal,!! at this point the only command that appeared to work was the throttle up!! All other controls had no effect on the Phantom at all !!!! I did try every way but nothing was working !!!

I did manage to stop it crashing into a passing car by elevating up but the phantom seemed to be fixed hard left once it was over the sea I was left with no alternative but to quickly switch the controller to the off position in the hope that it might return home.

Unfortunately a few seconds later it ditched into the sea :-(

I am part of the crew at my local Lifeboat station so I went to my station, my colleague & I put our dry suits on and went to look as I still had the position of where it entered the water after 2 hrs of searching we decided it was lost, with our quick change in the weather & sea conditions we lost the battle to recover the Phantom.

I am still not sure why the Phantom behaved this way, up until this point it was perfect any one else had this happen ???

Hi Chippy,
After reading that you are a member of the local Lifeboat Crew, I have complete and utter respect for you, good man.
I do hope you can get a refund on your purchase, I have no ideas why technically this should happen, but it should not, can I suggest you pass the information you wrote in your post onto the retailer and possibly to DJI.

;) ;) Thank you for your comments

I have already sent an email to the retailer and reported the problem to DJI but my retailer informed me that DJI are on shut down until the 7th January I am absolutely devastated that this has happened I have today noticed that there is large CCTV cameras and aerials all along the the lower part of the sea front thats where it happened!!!!! I am wondering whether or not it may have Interfered with it !! I have a friend who is a keen diver but he is away for the new year so between us we will try and recover it later in the week but it may not even be there due to tides and wind etc.. I know it will be no good but maybe I could salvage some bits from it and get the SD card in the small hope that there might be some footage on it not sure if my house insurance would cover it ?

Attachments

• Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 657
I experienced something similar with an older Phantom.
Decided to try "limits".
Altitude limit worked fine, but when reaching the distance limit I lost control of the right stick.
I could rotate and go up and down, but that was it.
I didn't try turning off the controller, but I was in a location where I could land it.
I tried once more with the same result.
Back to default limits and all was fine.

Sounds like you took off before the GPS home point was set and you lost signal... Then it would have landed at its immediate location...

cdusher said:
Decided to try "limits".
Altitude limit worked fine, but when reaching the distance limit I lost control of the right stick.
I could rotate and go up and down, but that was it.

That's exactly how the limits are supposed to work. It went a little bit over the limit and took over partial control while it backtracked. It should return full control to you when it's back inside the range you had set.

buzzflyer sent me my brand new phantom 2 vision today which is a replacement from DJI after i lost mine in the sea after a technical fault
I had to keep on a bit but after I proved there was a fault they agreed to replace it :D so pleased :p
have not flown it yet due to the windy weather we are having but as soon as it is calm I am out there :D

Thanks DJI and thanks buzzflyer excellent service :)

chippy jfl said:
buzzflyer sent me my brand new phantom 2 vision today which is a replacement from DJI after i lost mine in the sea after a technical fault
I had to keep on a bit but after I proved there was a fault they agreed to replace it :D so pleased :p
have not flown it yet due to the windy weather we are having but as soon as it is calm I am out there :D

Wow. That's great. I'll be keeping buzz flyer in mind for future purchases. No many companies that would do that.

chippy jfl said:

Wow! Thanks chippy jfl for posting this 'happy ending' story. I read SO much negative stuff here about DJI (seemingly well deserved in some cases), and even more negative stuff about the Phantom in general (some of which also may be well deserved), but this is a breath of fresh air. :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20